Previous owner didn't have UVB for Mr. Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardoman

Hello all. I'm just a little perturbed about all this.

Yesterday I bought my first bearded dragon from someone on Facebook classifieds. I really thought I was getting a deal. An entire setup for $100. Tank, cricket box, worms, light fixture + lights etc.

I live far away from Petco so while I was in town I figured I'd buy a spare bulb. I asked the guy at Petco for the bulb, he knew I was a new beardie owner. He had two beardies of his own. I assumed he was intelligent. Ultimately my fault but I like to give people benefit of doubt. I get home and realize the bulb he sold me was not uvb. Neither was the one the previous owner had installed. She told me that bulb had been installed 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to make this long winded but I'm a little bummed how this all turned out. It's confirmed he has been without uvb for at least 2 months, probably more because the Petco guy was the source of knowledge for the previous owner.

Is it possible a beardie can live without uvb? Spock is 10 months old.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
He needs a good source of UV as soon as possible -- a Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube is a good one. Also calcium and vitamin D3 supplements. He's at risk for having developed metabolic bone disease if he went without UV for that long, especially at his age, so I'd have him evaluated by a good reptile vet if at all possible. With a little luck and good care from now on, he may still be able to recover.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
The most common symptoms are muscle spasms or jerky movements and malformed bones (bumps in the spine, legs, or jaw), but a vet can do tests to make sure.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He's a keeper for sure. I see you have round dial thermometer. I would get a temp gun or a digital with a wire probe. Those stick on ones are very inaccurate. Also is that walnut shells for substrate? If so I'd get rid of those ASAP. If ingested they can cause internal injuries. I use ceramic tile. It was only $6 dollars a box and is super easy to clean and keeps the nails filed. Good luck with your little guy :D

Beardoman

Original Poster
Aww thank you! Yes I like him even though he's pretty indifferent toward me. It's funny how he watches every move I make, like he has a hidden ball of defense energy reserved.

Yes that is a temp dial, I know they are taboo here but luckily I have a real good temp gun :)

And that is sand I believe. I heard that was bad as well.

See what I mean about the not as great a deal I thought it was?

Beardoman

Original Poster
Aww thank you! Yes I like him even though he's pretty indifferent toward me. It's funny how he watches every move I make, like he has a hidden ball of defense energy reserved.

Yes that is a temp dial, I know they are taboo here but luckily I have a real good temp gun :)

And that is sand I believe. I read that was bad as well.

And a red night light. I read that was bad as well.

See what I mean about the not as great a deal I thought it was?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yeah. Some people just want money and hope you just take that animal off their hands. It's sad, but at least he has a new good owner now :D

Beardoman

Original Poster
Thanks destiny, I feel a little more encouraged now :)

I will try my best to save this beardo and raise him like a child I have yet to have! Haha :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is he active + moving around O.K ? Just wondering if he lays around like that during the day, that would be a sign of a health problem. Offer him some water dripped on his snout for a drink or give him a lukewarm shallow 5-10 minute bath if it doesn't stress him. He may drink while being soaked. And yes, get rid of the crushed walnut right away, it can cause terrible impaction + even death in some cases.

Glamamama

Hatchling Member
AHBD":23x449ff said:
Is he active + moving around O.K ? Just wondering if he lays around like that during the day, that would be a sign of a health problem. Offer him some water dripped on his snout for a drink or give him a lukewarm shallow 5-10 minute bath if it doesn't stress him. He may drink while being soaked. And yes, get rid of the crushed walnut right away, it can cause terrible impaction + even death in some cases.

You can buy the tiles in Home Depot or Lowes super cheap and they are easy to clean. Much safer v the sand or crushed walnut. They really like the beardie hammocks and those are inexpensive on Amazon or even in Petco. They like to climb and have a log or something to hide in or cool off so that is something to consider. That Reptisun 10.0 is the best too.

Beardoman

Original Poster
It seems to be going okay. While lethargic, he is consistent.

He doesn't lay around like that all day. He looks more lively and is usually perched up on his arms or his log. But that's all he really does. He moves to a slightly different position about once an hour but that's about it. He isn't opposed to or excited to be picked up. He's pretty indifferent. And wherever I set him down at he doesn't move much, even to get comfotable. I gave him a bath yesterday about 90*f and he seemed to like it.

It was actually pretty cute, hed stick his head under the faucet because he liked the water dripping on his head, I'm guessing.

Anyway, he watches pretty much every move I make and he was okay with me watching him eat until a minute ago when I laughed every time he missed a cricket, now he seems very leery of me. I guess I shouldn't be a jerk because he wont eat the crickets running around his tank now lol.

I ordered all the stuff from the newbie article including the correct size reptisun 10 bulb.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
He looks incredibly sweet :D
It sounds like you're making some necessary changes and he should live a happy healthy life in your care.

I'm glad to hear he has an appetite!
Did you notice any shaking/tremors while he was going for the food?

I apologize if I missed it but are you able to run us through your enclosure specs?
Tank size (I see it photo'd but I'm a terrible judge of size) as well as the basking spot temp. At 10 mo he should be pretty active still, if not basking about 90% of his day.

Photos of him more alert would be great as well!
***EDIT - you literally posted a photo of him alert as I was hitting submit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom