Preparing squash

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdave

Juvie Member
What's the right way to prepare squash? I got some spagetti squash. Going to get butternut when the store restocks.

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
I use butternut squash or acron squash and I use a slap chop to get it reall small for her and then microwave it for about 20 seconds. I find she doesnt eat it unless it is slightly cooked. I also add a small bit of water into her bowl. I also add endive but i chop it up after I put the squash in the microwave. I love my slapchop. lol wal mart $14 (canadian). Cheaper for you.

techdave

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So I tried putting it in the microwave on a plastic lid, and it started sparking between the pieces. Is that a normal thing for squash to do? Or is my microwave just stupid? lol And no, there wasn't any metal of any kind in there. :roll:

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
techdave":1om5a272 said:
So I tried putting it in the microwave on a plastic lid, and it started sparking between the pieces. Is that a normal thing for squash to do? Or is my microwave just stupid? lol And no, there wasn't any metal of any kind in there. :roll:

My squash has never sparked. lol. Not too sure what your microwave is doing. I microwave it in a ceramic type bowl that I bought at the pet store dont know if that makes the difference.

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
mistybugs":2ke5gyuo said:
does your slapchop even work on the lettuce and things like that also?

It sure does! You need a strong arm though. It needs to be pumped fast and hard. lol sorry for the innuendo I couldnt think of another way to describe it.

mistybugs

That is ok it gave me a giggle. I am going to have to try one of those because I get so tired of having to hand chop everything. If there is an easier way I think I will try that.

outsdr2

Gray-bearded Member
I use a oster 3 cup electric chopper. makes it easy for fixing multiple salads. I like the microwave idea. I prefer fast and easy. :lol:

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Glad I found this topic! I was just thinking of different food ideas to give my babies! I have some frozen squash..going to give that a try today. Will head to the store for some fresh squash tomorrow.

Where do you find dandelion and mustard greens? I have tried so many grocery stores around here and can't find it anywhere! Hoping the local farmers market might be able to help, but that isn't open yet. :cry:

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
mickeysmomma":1pk2m6af said:
Glad I found this topic! I was just thinking of different food ideas to give my babies! I have some frozen squash..going to give that a try today. Will head to the store for some fresh squash tomorrow.

Where do you find dandelion and mustard greens? I have tried so many grocery stores around here and can't find it anywhere! Hoping the local farmers market might be able to help, but that isn't open yet. :cry:

I have the same issue I cannot find anything in Edmonton, Alberta exept for endive and Blaze doesnt like it. So I am waiting for the farmers market as well and hopefully they will have some different greens this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom