potential emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
diamc":519aa said:
We're just on the same page, that's all Vicky. Also, if he's getting vitamins at every feeding, that may be affecting him, should only get them about 1 to 2 days a wk. Something to keep in mind anyway.
As usual of course I wouldnt have it any other way :wink:

cherokeeprincess

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
diamc":f8ea0 said:
We're just on the same page, that's all Vicky. Also, if he's getting vitamins at every feeding, that may be affecting him, should only get them about 1 to 2 days a wk. Something to keep in mind anyway.

he only gets herptivite 2 times a week, and calcium every otherday. both are repcal.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
cherokeeprincess":aa184 said:
diamc":aa184 said:

he only gets herptivite 2 times a week, and calcium every otherday. both are repcal.
Ok its just something to consider because of the way your giving it the levels could be off.Twitching,tremors can be a sign of vitamin imbalance again please dont think I am telling you that you did anything wrong I am just trying to help you rule out all the possible causes.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Did your vet do a side view x-ray? If your vet thinks something may be abnormal about a lung, the side view shows better. I just had this done for Semi who is 2-1/2 y/o and he has an growth on his right lung that is not cancer or infection. The top view didn't show it. I then had a barium x-ray that showed it was not his intestines involved. Sounds like he is having breathing issues because I have seen that behavior in Semi. We thought it was a stomach issue and/or RI and it was not either. Semi was almost in semi brumation when he started acting weird.

Boy, I don't know what to say about the meds. Your vet is correct in one aspect, that parasites do not alway show up in every fecal. But giving Baytril without an infection is only going to lower his immunity. Not to mention the harshness of the med itself.

Poor Yoshi, hope he feels better soon.

whiskersmom

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
If your vet thinks it could be something with the lungs then I would give him the Baytril. RI's are extremely dangerous and they can go down hill super fast and then the Baytril won't have had time to work. I know, I just went through this same thing.
As for the Panacur, it's pretty mild without a lot of side effects, I also agree about the Benebac or Acidophylliz, it will only help Yoshi.

cherokeeprincess

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
(update)

Hey all, i started yoshi on his meds but im also giving him soy yogart so it not as hard on him.

some new development has occured. the day he got sick/started actin funny he pooed and peed very good. but since then hes been passing urates alot...little bit at a time but hes still peeing 4-5 times aday....no more poo just urates.

could he be having kidney trouble? any thoughts on this?

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Is Yoshi eating? Is there lots of fluids coming out with the urates? You really need to keep Yoshi hydrated when on meds. So if you are and he isn't really eating then having less poo would be normal. When I gave Magick and Semi Baytril, I soaked them daily and gave fluids orally.

cherokeeprincess

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
pscaulkins":bd9ee said:
Is Yoshi eating? Is there lots of fluids coming out with the urates? You really need to keep Yoshi hydrated when on meds. So if you are and he isn't really eating then having less poo would be normal. When I gave Magick and Semi Baytril, I soaked them daily and gave fluids orally.

i been soaking him everyday since he got sick for about 25-30 min and hes even been drinking water.... theres no excess fluids coming out just the white urates. and no hes not eating, but he had slowed down on eating before cause hes in partial brumation.

cherokeeprincess

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
wizbee":0c980 said:
Are the urates soft or hard?

more hard then soft, and lastnight he started breathing funny....i really dunno whats going on, hes been so healthy all his life, i just dont understand this.

even the vet is stumped

cherokeeprincess

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The vet just called with the results of the xray reading.

Yoshi has pneumonia...so he'll b on antibiotics awhile. I dunno how he got it unless he got sick from the day in the park when we took his pic for the calendar. :cry: :(

so please pray for a good recovery

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
cherokeeprincess":ab870 said:

Yoshi has pneumonia...so he'll b on antibiotics awhile. I dunno how he got it unless he got sick from the day in the park when we took his pic for the calendar. :cry: :(

Oh no I am sorry about that but at least now you have a cause for his issues.You will want to slow down on his baths as you dont want to add to the fluid issues altough he will still need some baths to keep him hydrated just not daily.Good thing you started the meds.Are they changing the meds now that they have a diagnosis?I will be praying for a speedy recovery for Yoshi.Are you keeping his nightime temps up?I would try to make sure they dont drop below 70-75f at night if possible.Also try to keep his basking area over 100F(105 is ideal).Please keep us posted.

cherokeeprincess

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
vickson420":97997 said:
cherokeeprincess":97997 said:

Oh no I am sorry about that but at least now you have a cause for his issues.You will want to slow down on his baths as you dont want to add to the fluid issues altough he will still need some baths to keep him hydrated just not daily.Good thing you started the meds.Are they changing the meds now that they have a diagnosis?I will be praying for a speedy recovery for Yoshi.Are you keeping his nightime temps up?I would try to make sure they dont drop below 70-75f at night if possible.Also try to keep his basking area over 100F(105 is ideal).Please keep us posted.

It rarely gets below 75 in house at night anyways so im making sure he stays warm....hes staying on the anitbiotic that she gave him, just longer then planned! and his basking is 108.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Ok well it looks like you have it well under control :D Please keep us updated on his progress but I will keep him in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom