Possible RI… high humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmsblaze

Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Hi everyone. I️ am worried my beardie has a respiratory infection & need some advice on how to lower humidity! I️ have 3 hygrometers in different parts of the tank that are all ranging between 50-60%. Some people say anything above 40% is harmful & others say as long as it stays below 70% it’s fine. One of my beardies who is housed at the school I work at has NEVER had his humidity above 43% so I am at a loss!! Now, the one I️ am worried about is 4 months old & recovering from a parasite PLUS she is shedding right now. Her behavior is okay, we are making progress getting back to normal but I️ noticed a little bit of saliva when she was gaping on her basking rock today. Working on keeping her hydrated- she just HATES baths but will drink a small amount from a dropper. I have tried EVERYTHING: replaced the lid with one with more ventilation, bought a room fan, a dehumidifier, & just placed an EvaDry in her tank tonight. No matter what I do the % does not drop- they are digital w/ no probe… is it possible ALL THREE could be incorrect or is there anything else I could possibly do? Getting a digital probe tomorrow. Thank you in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone. I️ am worried my beardie has a respiratory infection & need some advice on how to lower humidity! I️ have 3 hygrometers in different parts of the tank that are all ranging between 50-60%. Some people say anything above 40% is harmful & others say as long as it stays below 70% it’s fine. One of my beardies who is housed at the school I work at has NEVER had his humidity above 43% so I am at a loss!! Now, the one I️ am worried about is 4 months old & recovering from a parasite PLUS she is shedding right now. Her behavior is okay, we are making progress getting back to normal but I️ noticed a little bit of saliva when she was gaping on her basking rock today. Working on keeping her hydrated- she just HATES baths but will drink a small amount from a dropper. I have tried EVERYTHING: replaced the lid with one with more ventilation, bought a room fan, a dehumidifier, & just placed an EvaDry in her tank tonight. No matter what I do the % does not drop- they are digital w/ no probe… is it possible ALL THREE could be incorrect or is there anything else I could possibly do? Getting a digital probe tomorrow. Thank you in advance!
Please stop the bathing if you havent already-- what is the humidity in the tank? A digital probe is good for a hygrometer -- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them-- you want surface basking temps- and really important what kind of UVB are you using? a long tube fixture or a coil? Please post a pic of her breathing so some others on here can see what shes doing-- do you hear any crackling or wheezing? There are no water dishes in the tank correct? And her substrate what are you using -- please no loose stuff like sand wood chips walnut shells etc

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Please stop the bathing if you havent already-- what is the humidity in the tank? A digital probe is good for a hygrometer -- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them-- you want surface basking temps- and really important what kind of UVB are you using? a long tube fixture or a coil? Please post a pic of her breathing so some others on here can see what shes doing-- do you hear any crackling or wheezing? There are no water dishes in the tank correct? And her substrate what are you using -- please no loose stuff like sand wood chips walnut shells etc
Got it, no baths. I️ have a reptisun T8 long tube fixture placed inside the tank 6 inches above her basking spot. Basking temps are between 90-100 I️ use a digital thermometer with a probe & a temp gun & a digital thermometer on the wall. I️ hear no cracking or wheezing & I️ have zero water dishes in the tank. I️ am using newspaper for substrate since she is still recovering from coccidea. These are the things that I have changed right before her humidity went up: I️ moved her tank onto a higher desk to the opposite side of my room & switched from reptile carpet to newspaper. Is it possible any of it could have effected the humidity??

I️ attached a video- she literally just woke up :)

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Got it, no baths. I️ have a reptisun T8 long tube fixture placed inside the tank 6 inches above her basking spot. Basking temps are between 90-100 I️ use a digital thermometer with a probe & a temp gun & a digital thermometer on the wall. I️ hear no cracking or wheezing & I️ have zero water dishes in the tank. I️ am using newspaper for substrate since she is still recovering from coccidea. These are the things that I have changed right before her humidity went up: I️ moved her tank onto a higher desk to the opposite side of my room & switched from reptile carpet to newspaper. Is it possible any of it could have effected the humidity??

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    9.8 MB

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi

I️ also added contact paper to the inside of her tank on the sides of the glass because she could see her reflection. That was another change

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I️ also added contact paper to the inside of her tank on the sides of the glass because she could see her reflection. That was another change
There is no video that I can see -- what is the humidity in the room? And where is the dehumidifier? Is it next to your tank - the humidity in the tank is 50-60% during the day? or at night? Optimal humidity is 40-50% so your good - anything over 70% is not good -- is the 50-60% w/ the dehumidifier running? During the day those levels will drop and at night rise -- please make sure your changing the UVB bulb out about every 5 months

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
There is no video that I can see -- what is the humidity in the room? And where is the dehumidifier? Is it next to your tank - the humidity in the tank is 50-60% during the day? or at night? Optimal humidity is 40-50% so your good - anything over 70% is not good -- is the 50-60% w/ the dehumidifier running? During the day those levels will drop and at night rise -- please make sure your changing the UVB bulb out about every 5 months
The humidity in my room is 56%. The humidity in her tank is 40-50% but sometimes 55% during the day & 50-60% at night. the dehumidifier machine is on my desk about 3 feet away & then the EvaDry dehumidifier is right on top of her tank. She is drinking her water when I️ give it from a dropper every day & eating normal. She’s basking like normal & goes from being right under her heat lamp to under her UVB.

Attachments

• 67094869029__6C136C5A-A44B-4C9C-A774-66878BF6C91A.MOV
    699.9 KB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The humidity in my room is 56%. The humidity in her tank is 40-50% but sometimes 55% during the day & 50-60% at night. the dehumidifier machine is on my desk about 3 feet away & then the EvaDry dehumidifier is right on top of her tank. She is drinking her water when I️ give it from a dropper every day & eating normal. She’s basking like normal & goes from being right under her heat lamp to under her UVB.
I dont see her gaping or anything - your humidity is fine at 55% during the day -- she looks good -- I can have some others chime in here
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom