portable external basking area

Status
Not open for further replies.

flutter

This may sound odd, but I was thinking of making my dragon something so that he could sit under a heat lamp+UV while out with us, in the living room. His viv is in the hallway, which wasn't a problem in the summer because we could take him out, the livingroom was boiling and he could sit and bask in the window. Now it's winter, my flat is still warm, but it's cold compared to his viv, but we like having him out lots. So I was thinking of designing something to sit on my corner table with like a heat lamp and compact coil UV on it, so he could sit and bask in the warmth and also stay out for ages because he still has UV. The idea came to me when I put him on the table and he basked under the lamp lol. What do you guys think?

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Chief has a light setup in my living room. In fact, he's sitting there right now. We have him out a lot, so it's great that he's able to get his lights. He also has autonomy. He can climb down and run around when he feels like it, and climbs back up under his lights when he needs to.

flutter

Original Poster
We have a chair under our window so he could run up and down the chair to the window. He just likes being in the room with us and his viv can't be in here, so this just seem logical, just wondered if anyone else has tried it and succeeded/failed. Or if people thought I was crazy for doing it lol

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
NOPE! not crazy at all :)
unless us beardies owners really ARE crazy ... either way, it makes you normal here :) :) :)

its a great idea, i do it myself too :)

contessa20

Hatchling Member
I have a Mega Ray in a Deep Dome that hangs on a standard Lamp Stand for Mango. I move it wherever he is either inside the house or out on the screened deck. I've even taken it to school a few times. It's not as warm as his usual basking temp but I don't mind since his viv temp is pretty strictly controlled. Of course, he almost never uses the Mega Ray when he's free-roaming anyway because he's too busy running around. :lol:

thebenior

Hatchling Member
I had some thoughts today about the basking surface.

You could attach a silicone potholder to the tile with some black Permatex silicone sealant (available in auto parts stores) to avoid marring your table surface.

Alternatively, you could make a blanket for the dragon to lie on with some fleece from a fabric store (or be lazy like me and buy a ferret blanket). My dragon will pretty much stop roaming if he encounters a fleece throw blanket that he can lie on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom