Pogos seeming rather upset..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwcrf450r

So I recently moved Pogo into his new custom tank i made him. Its massive, 78" long and 23ish" by 23ish". I have his uvb light and 3 other lights installed. 1 heat bulb and 2 standard run of the mill bulbs for visual light. He absolutely loved it, for the first 4 days to a week. The last two days hes been off... never seen him so dark since I got him mid Sept. His cool sides ambient temp is 78ish and his warm sides 88ish(with his basking temps dialed in between 104-110 directly under the heat bulb. I noticed his humidity was a tad low (around 20% but that was close to the heat bulb so maybe inaccurate... ) so I added a water bowl and he shortly went to it and I believe got a drink. Didn't actually see him drink but his mouth looked wet and he licked his lips. Hes spent a lot of time in his hide on the cool side (I assume hes not brumating because hes only 4 months old or so and hasn't stopped eating nor have I not seen him peeking out throughout the day) I even found him pressed up against the farthest corner from the hot side/uvb and when i reached in to check on him he was cool to the touch and acted kinda out of it. It wasnt till I started picking him up that he kinda snapped out of it and became alert again. After adding water, leaving his glass door cracked open a bit for air movement, and turning off his uvb for the day today I came home and he was much much lighter but still had a dark tail and some stress spots. I fed him and put him on his highest basking point and he sat there for about an hour till I set his uvb on a second timer to turn off an hour before bed and an hour after lights on(which puts it on from 8-8) and powered it up. shortly there after he climbed down and went back to hiding. He has a 48" t5 10.0 in a reptisun fixture. I'm wondering if maybe hes getting too much uvb? I have been slowly undoing things I've done(tanks been closed, tanks stay consistent) and turning the uvb back on seems to be what has triggered him to recede again.. really worried as I spent a lot of time making this the best viv I could for him and it seems hes not liking it now... :[

Mwcrf450r

Original Poster
I'd also like to mention his temp gradient is quite long and upon moving his probe his warm sides actually closer to 90.3 hot side and 83 center of the tank

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like the temp gradient is good so he can move around to warm up if he wants to. It's possible he is just stressed by the changes but if he was showing signs of being happier with the UVB light off, perhaps try moving it or angling it away from the basking area and see if he will go bask on his own. It's a good UVB light and probably the correct size for an enclosure that size, but perhaps a smaller one that would allow for more UVB gradient is worth a shot. I'd try leaving it off or rearranging it a bit first though. And maybe bring him out of the tank if he's OK with that and see how he does away from the new environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom