Plywood Reptile Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjoseph

I have researched many ideas for reptile enclosures and I've seen a lot of melamine being used and some plywood. I was thinking about using plywood but the main problem I've seen is it being sealed. I was wondering if I sealed it and then put the laminate tiles on the walls and tiles on the floor if that would be okay? I plan on doing 6 4x2x2 enclosures 2 for my beardies and one for my ball python and the another split in half for my leopard geckos then having 2 left over for babies for the beardies and leopards. Let me know what yall think. Thanks in advance.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Yeah I would say that would be ok as long as you sealing it well then tiling it will be fine. What tiles are you using for the floor? You could also try marine plywood it is more durable and better in terms of water resistance. I would say that plywood is a better choice over melamine.

Tjoseph

Original Poster
I was thinking about doing like actual tiles. Not sure what kind yet exactly. I like plywood cause I personally think it looks better than melamine. I plan on painting the outside also.

Plywood is great. Easier to work with than melamine, and more durable. Be sure to use a hardwood plywood, like oak, maple, or birch. Pine, fir, cedar, etc fumes are toxic to beardies.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Yeah looks much better than melamine and easier to work with. I used slate tiles in my viv but lots or good stone tiles that can use. I got mine cheap try asking at a tile shop if they have any broken/damaged stock, the box I got had 2 tiles that were broken in it so they sold it much cheaper.

I am going to be using some plywood for my enclosure floors, but for the sides and back I am using solid wood. I picked up some sealant for it and I plan on using tiles in mine as I have tiles in their tanks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom