PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggydoodles

Juvie Member
jwideman":2hew6fv7 said:
I guess I'm still confused about what brumating looks like. So they can only do it if they're healthy?

Allowing a sick beardie to try and brumate would be very dangerous. Any illness they have would have the opportunity to get MUCH worse, because a beardie slows down it's entire system in order to brumate, and it's body won't be able to fight parasites or an infection with a system that's running at less than %100.
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/ <--This article describes brumation very well, I'm sure if you give it a read you'll have a better understanding of what to look for with brumation, I found it handy when my girl Doodles went down for the first time this year.

vampy

Juvie Member
jwideman":cw9f6ozn said:
I guess I'm still confused about what brumating looks like. So they can only do it if they're healthy?

Brumation varies from dragon to dragon, it normally involves not wanting to eat, and wanting to hide in the cool end of the tank, preferably in the dark if possible, and sleep. Some want to sleep for months, some just a few days, then they wake up and go back down. It involves only a few grams of weight loss, if that.

It is totally possible that a sick beardie might be feeling the change in seasons and WANT to brumate, but it's imperative that you don't let them, and that you don't write off symptoms of illness as 'just wanting to brumate'. If your beardie is healthy and slows down at this time of year, it's nothing to worry about and you just take your care cues from what they want. If your beardie is sick, you have to ignore what their body wants and make sure they are fed/warmed/hydrated/medicated/whatever else they need. A sick beardie allowed to brumate may well not survive.

jwideman

Hatchling Member
vampy":2qp5amas said:
jwideman":2qp5amas said:

Brumation varies from dragon to dragon, it normally involves not wanting to eat, and wanting to hide in the cool end of the tank, preferably in the dark if possible, and sleep. Some want to sleep for months, some just a few days, then they wake up and go back down. It involves only a few grams of weight loss, if that.

It is totally possible that a sick beardie might be feeling the change in seasons and WANT to brumate, but it's imperative that you don't let them, and that you don't write off symptoms of illness as 'just wanting to brumate'. If your beardie is healthy and slows down at this time of year, it's nothing to worry about and you just take your care cues from what they want. If your beardie is sick, you have to ignore what their body wants and make sure they are fed/warmed/hydrated/medicated/whatever else they need. A sick beardie allowed to brumate may well not survive.

Ah ha... now it's clear. So how do you stop brumation?

vampy

Juvie Member
jwideman":1cnqhb8a said:
Ah ha... now it's clear. So how do you stop brumation?

Depends on the dragon and what the health issue is. It might be as simple as keeping the tank warmer than normal overnight, removing any hide from the cool end, putting them on the basking spot in the morning until they want to eat (and then again after) and giving them meds for a couple of weeks until whatever issue is resolved. Or for a very sick dragon it might be all of the above plus force feeding for the entire winter.

Ilovemybeardiebaby

Original Poster
I am one proud momma right now Went to feed my baby some turkey baby food watered down to make it less thick,and she ate a whole syringe I went to my my feeding stuff away and she wanted more so she took down another half a syringe she loved it she is now happily basking with a full belly bright eyes and a beautiful skin color.also I got her to eat 4 small crickets yesterday and 2 earlier today :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: she won't go near veggies other than baby food peas one step closer :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that she ate so well and is happily basking. We sure would love to see some pictures of her when you get a chance. You're doing a great job with her.

Were you able to remove all the walnut shells? What do you have down now, paper towels? Does she seem to mind the difference?

Ilovemybeardiebaby

Original Poster
The walnut shells are no more :) I out down a soft blanket because she lived the material her blanket is made from so I thought I'd give it a try and seeing as how she won't potty in her Viv I figured she'd like it,as soon as I out her in her tank she ran right up to the glass opened her mouth gave me a stink eye and turned right back around.i guess she has to get used to the change

DorkiTimmy

Hatchling Member
Her skin could get dark when she is stress or not feeling well or the heat ssource is not hot enough for her basicly too cold

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She does look like she is getting more coloring on her face.

How often are you bathing her and are you able to get her to take oral fluids? The reason I ask is because she still looks quite dehydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom