Please help! I think she's sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Hi there. My 30 year old step son who is living with us has a 6 year old bearded dragon and I think she's sick. I think she's been stick and nobody believes me and I don't know what else to do. He refuses to take her to the vet and I don't have the funds to do it (times are rough). She is gasping for air and you can hear her make noises so I believe she has a respiratory infection again. They didn't believe me the first time she had one and we took her to the vet and I paid, but the vet seems very unsure which didn't help my case. I have some pictures to show you. I think she's starving, dehydrated, probably on her way to MBD. He had a bulb in her tank and didn't change it for a year. Her tank is way too small and he says she doesn't need a 40 gallon. She's in a 20 which I got for her because he arrived with her in a 10. She's 21 inches long. On 1/7 she was 458 grams. Last night she weighed in at 416. He doesn't really feed her greens, and if he does, it's kale, so I made sure to buy mustard greens, endive, collard greens instead. I actually bought a bearded dragon because I liked her so much and I thought by him seeing how I treat mine, that he would step up. NO, he hasn't. When I tell him what I've read on what we should be doing is all wrong. She only eats super worms. Now she's not even eating much, as you can see by her poop. He bathes her when he remembers, so maybe every couple of weeks. I remember once I did because I felt so bad for her and she literally drank for over 6 minutes straight, I have a video of it. It was heartbreaking. She's completely deteriorated since he arrived her October 2019. My husband says I can do nothing because she's not mine. I can't stand by any longer and watch him kill her. So I need proof from someone that she's ill, neglected, something. Her fat pads don't exist. If you press on them, the barely raised bump where they would be pushes down like it's only a bubble of air. He doesn't time her lighting. It's turned on whenever and off whenever. The cage is cleaned whenever. It could be weeks. He thinks she's brumating. Clearly you can tell she is not. But I'm going off of what I'm reading. If she was wouldn't she be sleeping? He doesn't know to change the timing on the lights for brumation. Her poop is rust colored, she's completely dehydrated! You an see her ribs in the photos of her sides. HELP ME! He believes nothing I say. I just told my husband I'm on here looking for help, proof, something to prove to him killing her.

Attachments

• EMber skinny body 2.jpg
    EMber skinny body 2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 224
  • Ember skinny legs.jpg
    Ember skinny legs.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 221
  • Ember fat pads.jpg
    Ember fat pads.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Ember ribs.jpg
    Ember ribs.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Ember skinny.jpg
    Ember skinny.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Ember cage.jpg
    Ember cage.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 173
  • Ember Poop for size.jpg
    Ember Poop for size.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 222
  • Ember poop.jpg
    Ember poop.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 185

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry, I don't see any PM's from you but have posted here. Did the vet show you how to give the injections easily I hope?
It is a bit stressful but if don't properly, you shouldn't have any problems. The meds should probably be refrigerated but as long
as they are not in heat or light then they should be fine.
Things are very hard right now, so do the best you can. Please PM me if you need more help, or to discuss things further, I would
be happy to help more if I can.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't think I've heard from a Tracie. I don't have money for anything else right now. I no money, zero dollars. Only half of our bills that we regularly pay got paid this month. This has never happened. We're in trouble. So everything is just going to have to wait. Nothing I can do. Had to use my mom's credit card for gas to get to work. I'm not doing well right now.

Ember has 9 injections she needs to be given. I have no idea what the medication is. My husband isn't any help. He Nas no paperwork. He said meds came in a zip lock bag and my step son has them in his drawer. They need to be out of the sun, not refrigerated. This is what happens when I don't go to the vet myself. That's all the information I get. No blood work was done. I know that for a fact because nobody has money for it. We paid $28 for her injections and that's all we had left.
Please post the medications she is to be given Tracie is Drache613 our vet tech please see the post above -- I am sorry everyone seems to be having a difficult time now and its not going to get better I am afraid - please call the vets office and ask them to email everything that they did and have on Ember - why was medication given w/ no blood work being done - please get it out and look at what it is - then post on here what they gave her - I am flagging post to Tracie so when she comes on here she can get tell you what the meds are for - in the meantime get the office visit paperwork please and call the vet to see what was said at the visit -- but you still need that probe thermometer its very important for Ember to have proper accurate temps - they are not that expensive I thought you had gotten one way back when ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Ember doing today, any improvements thus far?
Please keep us posted on how things are going, we are all pulling for her to get better soon.

Tracie

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Ember has gained weight, but she doesn't look good. The vet last said she had a lot of saliva in her mouth and she still does. She is still breathing weird and she still has sores in her mouth. If I had to guess, the second antibiotic isn't working either.

Andrew has been feeding her and giving her the injections daily as I have been at my new job since January 24th. She has another check up tomorrow. I have not called to question the vet as I'm no longer the one paying the bill. Andrew has taken over and paid us back. I did not purchase a probe thermometer as there was no money alloted for that. Not that I need to justify my spending here because I don't think anyone cares, but I don't think the seriousness of my problem is understood. I have no money/income to pay my car payment, credit card payments (2), utilities, car registration (due November) that were all due last month. I don't have much money for food or gas to get to work. I need to feed 2 minors and 3 adults and put gas in 2 cars. I also have pets that need heart medication months and live food. I gave up my BD's new UVB bulb for Ember and his is well over due. My credit is about to have 30 day late's and I'm almost at an 800. So I have huge issues about to affect me for 7 years and hinder my ability to purchase a house later. Please understand that the thermometer has been mentioned, it was not Andrew's concern and it was not something I was going to provide given what I already have on my plate. I have ADHD and I'm a HSP, I am trying to stay sane. I don't mean any disrespect, but I want to let you know it's not that I don't care.

I've been giving up my BD's CHE every night to Ember to ensure she's warm. My husband cleans her tank as soon as she poops because now she's pooping at least 3 times a day. I will let you know what the vet says when I hear back tomorrow. I really do appreciate everyone's help and concern for her. We are all doing our best under the current circumstances.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You have been stepping up and doing your very best to help poor Ember when someone else might have just said " not my problem" so you are doing a great job and can't be criticized in the least. I really feel for you with all of the economic pressures on top of everything else during such a stressful time. And yeah, a thermometer is not as necessary as the meds., vet visit, etc. Keep up the good work and just do what you can, you're doing a great job. :)👍

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
You have been stepping up and doing your very best to help poor Ember when someone else might have just said " not my problem" so you are doing a great job and can't be criticized in the least. I really feel for you with all of the economic pressures on top of everything else during such a stressful time. And yeah, a thermometer is not as necessary as the meds., vet visit, etc. Keep up the good work and just do what you can, you're doing a great job. :)👍
Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I don't know if Ember is going to make it. She looks horrible. I attached a photo of her from last night. They want $500 for a biopsy to determine if she has cancer or not. The antibiotics aren't working. She's on a different kind again, that makes 3 different kinds now, but I could be mistaken.

I want to ask what the best lighting would be for Santiago, who is my little guy. I gave up his new MVB to Ember. His is 9 months old and I need to figure out how to get him new lights. He has a 48x18x25 tall tank. Can someone assist, please? I'd appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 20220209_202722.jpg
    20220209_202722.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 87

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. I appreciate your kind words. I don't know if Ember is going to make it. She looks horrible. I attached a photo of her from last night. They want $500 for a biopsy to determine if she has cancer or not. The antibiotics aren't working. She's on a different kind again, that makes 3 different kinds now, but I could be mistaken.

I want to ask what the best lighting would be for Santiago, who is my little guy. I gave up his new MVB to Ember. His is 9 months old and I need to figure out how to get him new lights. He has a 48x18x25 tall tank. Can someone assist, please? I'd appreciate your help.
I am so sorry to hear about ember- you have tried your best - I would recommend a regular clear bright white basking bulb unless you want to stay w/ the mvb- if that is the case when you change it out which is 6 months from when you installed it please get a mega ray- you have a long tube fixture 24" is that correct?

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
I am so sorry to hear about ember- you have tried your best - I would recommend a regular clear bright white basking bulb unless you want to stay w/ the mvb- if that is the case when you change it out which is 6 months from when you installed it please get a mega ray- you have a long tube fixture 24" is that correct?
I only have a uva/uvb and a CHE. I am not opposed to a tube light. I want what's best.

Ember, I think she's dying. She's throwing up. Her fat pads are concaved and so are get arms. David or going to try to get Andrew to see she's suffering and put her down. She doesn't move. She barely opens her eyes and she can barely hols herself up. It's horrible.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so very sorry that Ember is going through this and how hard this is for you to see. I wish there was some way to help, you are probably right that she's not going to make it. My heart goes out to Ember and to you. :cry:

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Oh no, I'm so very sorry that Ember is going through this and how hard this is for you to see. I wish there was some way to help, you are probably right that she's not going to make it. My heart goes out to Ember and to you. :cry:
Thank you. Andrew has been crying. I just wish he paid more attention when it mattered. I know he thinks she can be saved but she's suffering and I hope we can talk him into letting her be at peace. She's the sweetest thing. I looked up12 symptoms to know if you're BD is dying is she has 10. 😔

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I only have a uva/uvb and a CHE. I am not opposed to a tube light. I want what's best.

Ember, I think she's dying. She's throwing up. Her fat pads are concaved and so are get arms. David or going to try to get Andrew to see she's suffering and put her down. She doesn't move. She barely opens her eyes and she can barely hols herself up. It's horrible.
Yes it sounds like shes not going to make it it is heartbreaking to watch - he would be better off putting her down now instead of letting her suffer - I think the saving came too late --
As far as the other dragon I would add the long tube fixture w/ the MVB as they do not often give enough UVB good ones are Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or the Acradia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ either a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or the Arcadia 12% bulbs - if you need websites I can post them for you - what are you using now for him?

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Yes it sounds like shes not going to make it it is heartbreaking to watch - he would be better off putting her down now instead of letting her suffer - I think the saving came too late --
As far as the other dragon I would add the long tube fixture w/ the MVB as they do not often give enough UVB good ones are Zoo Med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or the Acradia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb or a Sunblaster Nano Tech w/ either a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or the Arcadia 12% bulbs - if you need websites I can post them for you - what are you using now for him?

Ember passed around 4am this morning. It was heartbreaking to watch. I stayed up until 335 and I couldn't stay awake any longer. Andrew said she took her last breaths about 20 minutes after that. He's heartbroken. He believes that when I told him a year ago she had an RI and we took her to that one vet that that is when this all started happening and I agree. That vet was not experienced enough unfortunately. I'm certain she had cancer from the looks of her tongue. It had a lump on one side. Poor sweet girl. Everyone feels this. It's the worst day in our home today. She was an absolute joy at her best.

I want to thank everyone for their knowledge and full support during everything we've gone through. I needed you all even though it may not have seemed that way. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

As for Santiago, I added a photo of what I purchased because his tank is 48Lx18Dx25H. Is it okay, because I can cancel the order.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220212-102809_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220212-102809_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ember passed around 4am this morning. It was heartbreaking to watch. I stayed up until 335 and I couldn't stay awake any longer. Andrew said she took her last breaths about 20 minutes after that. He's heartbroken. He believes that when I told him a year ago she had an RI and we took her to that one vet that that is when this all started happening and I agree. That vet was not experienced enough unfortunately. I'm certain she had cancer from the looks of her tongue. It had a lump on one side. Poor sweet girl. Everyone feels this. It's the worst day in our home today. She was an absolute joy at her best.

I want to thank everyone for their knowledge and full support during everything we've gone through. I needed you all even though it may not have seemed that way. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

As for Santiago, I added a photo of what I purchased because his tank is 48Lx18Dx25H. Is it okay, because I can cancel the order.
Yes that is a good UVB but I recommend you get the 12% bulb -
As far as Ember I am so sorry I feel the pain - I have been there w/ 2 other dragons - I can still see Kida's face today and its heartbreaking to see them pass especially when in her case it could of been all avoided --- but I do know the pain and the feeling of helplessness that you went thru- you did your best - just relish the time you have w/ Santiago now - when you get the UVB please let us know on here so we can help you get it correctly placed and distance for him - the screen will determine that

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear Ember didn't make it. :cry: I am glad that she had you to care for her when she so desperately needed it, so she
felt love & comfort when she needed it. Know that you did everything that you could to help her. I know that doesn't bring her back, but
I hope that brings you some peace.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom