Please help! I think she's sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Hi there. My 30 year old step son who is living with us has a 6 year old bearded dragon and I think she's sick. I think she's been stick and nobody believes me and I don't know what else to do. He refuses to take her to the vet and I don't have the funds to do it (times are rough). She is gasping for air and you can hear her make noises so I believe she has a respiratory infection again. They didn't believe me the first time she had one and we took her to the vet and I paid, but the vet seems very unsure which didn't help my case. I have some pictures to show you. I think she's starving, dehydrated, probably on her way to MBD. He had a bulb in her tank and didn't change it for a year. Her tank is way too small and he says she doesn't need a 40 gallon. She's in a 20 which I got for her because he arrived with her in a 10. She's 21 inches long. On 1/7 she was 458 grams. Last night she weighed in at 416. He doesn't really feed her greens, and if he does, it's kale, so I made sure to buy mustard greens, endive, collard greens instead. I actually bought a bearded dragon because I liked her so much and I thought by him seeing how I treat mine, that he would step up. NO, he hasn't. When I tell him what I've read on what we should be doing is all wrong. She only eats super worms. Now she's not even eating much, as you can see by her poop. He bathes her when he remembers, so maybe every couple of weeks. I remember once I did because I felt so bad for her and she literally drank for over 6 minutes straight, I have a video of it. It was heartbreaking. She's completely deteriorated since he arrived her October 2019. My husband says I can do nothing because she's not mine. I can't stand by any longer and watch him kill her. So I need proof from someone that she's ill, neglected, something. Her fat pads don't exist. If you press on them, the barely raised bump where they would be pushes down like it's only a bubble of air. He doesn't time her lighting. It's turned on whenever and off whenever. The cage is cleaned whenever. It could be weeks. He thinks she's brumating. Clearly you can tell she is not. But I'm going off of what I'm reading. If she was wouldn't she be sleeping? He doesn't know to change the timing on the lights for brumation. Her poop is rust colored, she's completely dehydrated! You an see her ribs in the photos of her sides. HELP ME! He believes nothing I say. I just told my husband I'm on here looking for help, proof, something to prove to him killing her.

Attachments

• EMber skinny body 2.jpg
    EMber skinny body 2.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Ember skinny legs.jpg
    Ember skinny legs.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Ember fat pads.jpg
    Ember fat pads.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Ember ribs.jpg
    Ember ribs.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Ember skinny.jpg
    Ember skinny.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Ember cage.jpg
    Ember cage.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 172
  • Ember Poop for size.jpg
    Ember Poop for size.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Ember poop.jpg
    Ember poop.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 184

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a question on this. For now, I have a 48x12x25 tank for my BD. I know he needs 4x2x2. I can't afford it right now. I saw this and grabbed it so I could give my 40 gallon to Ember. So my question is, for the 48 inch tank, can I use the 24" fixture, of do I need a longer one? Also, that 10.0T5, is that only UVB not UVA? What do I get for a basking bulb? I have a ceramic heat emitter in there now with a MVB UVA/UVB/Heat 80 watt. Thank you for your help with this. I want to make sure everything is perfect moving forward, when I get the money. I just got a job offer yesterday. :)
The mvb is uvb and uv hence basking bulb - the 10.0 T 5 is uvb only- the mvb can be used for heat that is good but it must keep your basking temps to what they need to be 95 100- being ember is sick please run the che at nite keeping her temps warmer at night it's gonna help her fight the infection off- what did they give you for her symptoms? No your 24" uvb is good- is she on a antibiotic plus what about her mouth

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a question on this. For now, I have a 48x12x25 tank for my BD. I know he needs 4x2x2. I can't afford it right now. I saw this and grabbed it so I could give my 40 gallon to Ember. So my question is, for the 48 inch tank, can I use the 24" fixture, of do I need a longer one? Also, that 10.0T5, is that only UVB not UVA? What do I get for a basking bulb? I have a ceramic heat emitter in there now with a MVB UVA/UVB/Heat 80 watt. Thank you for your help with this. I want to make sure everything is perfect moving forward, when I get the money. I just got a job offer yesterday. :)
Ok I have Tracie flagged on this post I am hoping she responds tonite

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
The mvb is uvb and uv hence basking bulb - the 10.0 T 5 is uvb only- the mvb can be used for heat that is good but it must keep your basking temps to what they need to be 95 100- being ember is sick please run the che at nite keeping her temps warmer at night it's gonna help her fight the infection off- what did they give you for her symptoms? No your 24" uvb is good- is she on a antibiotic plus what about her mouth
They gave me chlorhex dilute 1:30 to swab her mouth once a day for the mouth rot.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
The 24" inch bulb will work in a 48" vivarium and will be producing both UVA and UVB. The reason they mention the UVB in the description is because a lot of UV bulbs do not produce high levels of UVB which reptiles require so reptile specific bulbs always state UVB to show they are good for reptile use.

The general rule of thumb is to have a tube length that covers at least 2/3 the length of the viv so if you can afford it in the future a 30" tube (like the Arcadia Pro T5 12% 39w) would be a better option than a 24" but not vital. The more area with UV coverage in the tank the more options your Dragon has to move around and thermo-regulate whilst still having access to the UV light.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I just wanted to say that you're doing a great job helping this dragon! She must be genetically very strong to endure her health problems and still be basking + somewhat bright eyed. Just keep up the treatment and hopefully she will take inn some nutrition. BTW, for plain old heat bulbs you can get ones from the Home improvement stores or Walmart. A 4 pack like the ones in this picture is less than $10.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I had missed the PM/message. First off, PHENOMENAL JOB, KARRIE for helping, thank you...as well as a stunningly beautiful soul,
to the "new owner" of Ember.
It is appalling how people can neglect such sweet creatures, I'm sorry for her. However, I have to agree with AHBD on the fact that she
must indeed have strong genetics as well as a strong will to live to still be with you. I think, that she was just waiting for you. That is the
only positive thing that has come out of the situation because she certainly wouldn't have gotten any care had he not come to live with you
& your husband.
So, to confirm, you are currently using a Megaray MVB light for her, what wattage? I would recommend keeping the Megaray MVB due to
the fact it has optimal heat for basking along with brightness. You can combine that with the nice Arcadia tube bulb, just the T8 12% is good.
Or, if the Megaray is far away to where the UVB is disseminated then you could pair it with the T5 high output tube. I am sure that she
greatly appreciates the lighting & warmth.
They vet did not do a blood test on her yet? He may have felt she was not hydrated enough, I am not sure. Her weight is high enough that
it would support a blood draw. Since they diagnosed pneumonia, did they prescribe Ceftz, or Baytril or another antibiotic?
As suggested, try to keep her around 75-80 overnight for boosting her immune system. What vitamins & calcium are you using?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Hello,

I had missed the PM/message. First off, PHENOMENAL JOB, KARRIE for helping, thank you...as well as a stunningly beautiful soul,
to the "new owner" of Ember.
It is appalling how people can neglect such sweet creatures, I'm sorry for her. However, I have to agree with AHBD on the fact that she
must indeed have strong genetics as well as a strong will to live to still be with you. I think, that she was just waiting for you. That is the
only positive thing that has come out of the situation because she certainly wouldn't have gotten any care had he not come to live with you
& your husband.
So, to confirm, you are currently using a Megaray MVB light for her, what wattage? I would recommend keeping the Megaray MVB due to
the fact it has optimal heat for basking along with brightness. You can combine that with the nice Arcadia tube bulb, just the T8 12% is good.
Or, if the Megaray is far away to where the UVB is disseminated then you could pair it with the T5 high output tube. I am sure that she
greatly appreciates the lighting & warmth.
They vet did not do a blood test on her yet? He may have felt she was not hydrated enough, I am not sure. Her weight is high enough that
it would support a blood draw. Since they diagnosed pneumonia, did they prescribe Ceftz, or Baytril or another antibiotic?
As suggested, try to keep her around 75-80 overnight for boosting her immune system. What vitamins & calcium are you using?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Hi guys. Sorry for the delay. Started a new job this week. Very stressful as we also have no money to cover bills and I'm waiting to hear back from bank about deferment of 3 loans and a credit card.

Ember went to her vet check up today. My husband was told we were doing a great job, she's gained weight, however she's still not breathing as good as she should be and she still has sores in her mouth. She gave her a different kind of antibiotics and said if they don't work she believes Ember may have cancer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi guys. Sorry for the delay. Started a new job this week. Very stressful as we also have no money to cover bills and I'm waiting to hear back from bank about deferment of 3 loans and a credit card.

Ember went to her vet check up today. My husband was told we were doing a great job, she's gained weight, however she's still not breathing as good as she should be and she still has sores in her mouth. She gave her a different kind of antibiotics and said if they don't work she believes Ember may have cancer.
Oh that's not good - how is the lighting working out now ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They can't guess about cancer because of a few sores in her mouth, did they do bloodwork ? Sorry I forgot if that was done and if you posted it here. It sounds like she's doing better overall.

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
Oh that's not good - how is the lighting working out now ?
Well, I don't know. I posted a photo when we got her into a 40 gallon. Apparently she has been in a 10 this whole time and I thought it was a 20. I was beside myself when my husband told me on Wednesday it was a 10 gallon tank. I have a 100 watt Maga Ray bulb over her. Her tank is 95 degrees where she sits. I don't have a digital thermometer though. It's a sticky one. I don't know if the lighting is going to matter in a week if she's dying.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well, I don't know. I posted a photo when we got her into a 40 gallon. Apparently she has been in a 10 this whole time and I thought it was a 20. I was beside myself when my husband told me on Wednesday it was a 10 gallon tank. I have a 100 watt Maga Ray bulb over her. Her tank is 95 degrees where she sits. I don't have a digital thermometer though. It's a sticky one. I don't know if the lighting is going to matter in a week if she's dying.
You still need a digital probe thermometer- you want those surface basking temps- I am hoping Tracie gets w/ you on this

DakotaClouds

Original Poster
You still need a digital probe thermometer- you want those surface basking temps- I am hoping Tracie gets w/ you on this
I don't think I've heard from a Tracie. I don't have money for anything else right now. I no money, zero dollars. Only half of our bills that we regularly pay got paid this month. This has never happened. We're in trouble. So everything is just going to have to wait. Nothing I can do. Had to use my mom's credit card for gas to get to work. I'm not doing well right now.

Ember has 9 injections she needs to be given. I have no idea what the medication is. My husband isn't any help. He Nas no paperwork. He said meds came in a zip lock bag and my step son has them in his drawer. They need to be out of the sun, not refrigerated. This is what happens when I don't go to the vet myself. That's all the information I get. No blood work was done. I know that for a fact because nobody has money for it. We paid $28 for her injections and that's all we had left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom