Please Help: Diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry I didn't see your other update.
She isn't eating very well right now? I hope she isn't losing too much weight. Are her hip
bones sticking out yet, or not?
Which antibiotic shot has she gotten & what was it for, the liver inflammation? Would it
be the same antibiotic, just a couple more shots?
I usually don't advocate too many medications, but it may not hurt as long as they are dosing
it correctly. Do you have her on milk thistle, too?
Has her beard been darker in color or normal?
Shedding will affect their appetite too but I don't like the losing weight. If she isn't eating
much on her own you can start supplementing her with a babyfood mixture, or critical care
powder to help out her weight.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

belber095

Original Poster
Drache613":2soyudha said:
Hello,

So sorry I didn't see your other update.
She isn't eating very well right now? I hope she isn't losing too much weight. Are her hip
bones sticking out yet, or not?
Which antibiotic shot has she gotten & what was it for, the liver inflammation? Would it
be the same antibiotic, just a couple more shots?
I usually don't advocate too many medications, but it may not hurt as long as they are dosing
it correctly. Do you have her on milk thistle, too?
Has her beard been darker in color or normal?
Shedding will affect their appetite too but I don't like the losing weight. If she isn't eating
much on her own you can start supplementing her with a babyfood mixture, or critical care
powder to help out her weight.

Tracie

Her beard is normal in color, and the antibiotic was a preventative treatment based on the white cell count. I’m not sure what antibiotic she was given but it would be the same in two more dosages. She is not on milk thistle. I don’t see hip bones, but I may just be ignorant.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I would be very hesitant to give her anymore of the Antibiotic at all. Dragons cannot be given Antibiotics as "preventative medicine", because when they are used this way they cause far more problems than the Dragon had to begin with, including a loss of appetite, which is the opposite of what your Dragon needs right now.

I'll let Tracie talk to you about adding the proper dosage of Milk Thistle to her Critical Care or Baby Food daily feedings, as the Milk Thistle is crucial to liver health.

belber095

Original Poster
EllenD":2xemz7eo said:
I would be very hesitant to give her anymore of the Antibiotic at all. Dragons cannot be given Antibiotics as "preventative medicine", because when they are used this way they cause far more problems than the Dragon had to begin with, including a loss of appetite, which is the opposite of what your Dragon needs right now.

I'll let Tracie talk to you about adding the proper dosage of Milk Thistle to her Critical Care or Baby Food daily feedings, as the Milk Thistle is crucial to liver health.
I’m not claiming to know anything about treatments, but after her first dose she seemed like a whole new dragon, she was running around and acting much more like herself, so perhaps she does have an infection and should have completed that treatment in the first place? I’m not sure, I really just want to help her feel better. /:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news she seems to be doing somewhat better then. In some instances, the
medications do help them out. If they are dosed properly & given in the correct frequency,
they can be beneficial depending on what it is.
You might want to inquire on milk thistle, which does help with liver function. The vet may
have it on hand, or you can order online, too. If needed, I can help with how much to give.
How are her colors, has she had a black beard at all lately?

Tracie

belber095

Original Poster
Drache613":14ah9b13 said:
Hello,

That is great news she seems to be doing somewhat better then. In some instances, the
medications do help them out. If they are dosed properly & given in the correct frequency,
they can be beneficial depending on what it is.
You might want to inquire on milk thistle, which does help with liver function. The vet may
have it on hand, or you can order online, too. If needed, I can help with how much to give.
How are her colors, has she had a black beard at all lately?

Tracie

She just shed, but for the first time, she didn’t shed her entire back, so her coloration is a bit off compared to her older scales. The new ones are a bit darker with less obvious orange patches. Her beard has not been black at all with the exception of a few times she was unhappy with her medications.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good, no black beard right now! They don't like the meds so that is enough to
agitate her.
I am sure her colors will bounce back once everything is done shedding. She may shed
her back later on. They don't usually shed their entire bodies at the same time when
they are adults.

Tracie

belber095

Original Poster
Little update: went to the vet the other night and had Stella reweighed, and she came in at 515g, she was 650g at the beginning of this month. She is now on oxbow for carnivores, at a dosage of 3 tbsp/day. She is not at all pleased with the additional meds, but when she is trying to run away from me now she is a noticeably more nimble, which I’m taking as a good sign. Not sure how much of a grudge she’ll hold on me but I’m hoping she’ll start to turn around this week. I have some BSFL coming in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully she’ll take an interest in them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my, that is a huge weight loss. Definitely get the critical care into her, to get some
weight back on her. Be sure when you mix it up, that it isn't too thick so that she doesn't
choke on it.
I hope she is doing better soon. How are her colors today? Poor thing, she will not be
happy for awhile, will she, having to take the critical care. If she keeps trying to get
away maybe she is starting to have more energy.

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

belber095

Original Poster
On the fourth day of critical care, she doesn’t seem much better. She still refuses crickets, she won’t eat her greens, and now her beard is black more often than not. If it isnt, it gets black the second i get her out of her viv. I’m starting to think she’s not going to turn around /:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sorry she isn't doing any better yet. Is she on any antibiotics right now, or are you just
giving the critical care? How much of the critical care is she taking per day? If she doesn't
like the flavor you can try getting some baby food such as chicken, or turkey & sweet potato
or squash to mix in with it.

Be sure to keep her a little warmer over night, around 80 or so to help immune system function
for her. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

belber095

Original Poster
Drache613":122l0urn said:
Hello,

I'm sorry she isn't doing any better yet. Is she on any antibiotics right now, or are you just
giving the critical care? How much of the critical care is she taking per day? If she doesn't
like the flavor you can try getting some baby food such as chicken, or turkey & sweet potato
or squash to mix in with it.

Be sure to keep her a little warmer over night, around 80 or so to help immune system function
for her. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie
She was on 3 tbsp/day, and I am now out of it. She is running around pretty quickly, but it seems more like she’s scared than excited or exploring. The BSFL finally came today, and she cocked her head to look at them, but she has yet to eat any. My vet said if she still wouldn’t eat after several days of critical care, that I should have her hospitalized.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looked interested in the phoenix worms but hasn't eaten any yet? How are her colors
so far?
If you do decide to take her in, please instruct them to not medicate her because many
times people leave their dragons in the hands of the vet but the dragon ends up in worse
shape than before. If they are going to keep her there for a few days then rehydrating her,
getting food into her or doing other tests is probably needed.
Did you get the critical care from the vet previously?

Tracie

belber095

Original Poster
Drache613":2pxc6ou0 said:
Hello,

She looked interested in the phoenix worms but hasn't eaten any yet? How are her colors
so far?
If you do decide to take her in, please instruct them to not medicate her because many
times people leave their dragons in the hands of the vet but the dragon ends up in worse
shape than before. If they are going to keep her there for a few days then rehydrating her,
getting food into her or doing other tests is probably needed.
Did you get the critical care from the vet previously?

Tracie
No, she has not eaten any yet. She is much darker than usual. Today a two inch section of retained shed at the end of her tail finally came off, so I’m not sure if that’s might play any role in her appetite, but her coloration is already better since getting it off. I did get the CC from the vet. She did not seem to be reacting well to it though. She vomited it up on her last dose. She is fairly active today. More updates to come

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, at least her color is better after getting her tail shed off. She just may not like the
taste of the critical care. Try mixing some baby food up with it, to help with the taste. Be
sure it isn't too thick also, when giving it to her so she doesn't choke on it.
I hope she is feeling better & doesn't continue to vomit up her food. Some dragons just don't
like it straight so try the babyfood, maybe that will help out.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom