Please help! Beardie just 'not right'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheekymonkeyemma

Original Poster
Chased the bloody vet again this morning, still awaiting results ?.

Re the crypto, the vets advice was not to treat it while it was dormant as the aggressiveness of the treatment could do more harm than good. Does that sounds right?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is fine, as long as there are no symptoms, he should be fine without getting meds for it.
Let us know when the results come in. I hope he is doing well today!

Tracie

Cheekymonkeyemma

Original Poster
The results are back and the screeening was clear of any parasites. I'm pleased in one respect as I now definitely know that the last round of panacur a few months back worked but it's left me uncertain as to what to do next. The vet has offered to do blood tests to check organ function etc but I just don't know what to do. Lots of people have suggested he may be sort of brumating or at least trying to. His appetite is fine, he isn't losing weight or anything.

He is still slightly gaping his mouth and he is still taking water when offered on a syringe which in itself is out of character for me. He is still going dark during the day but as soon as I pick him up he pretty much instantly goes back to his usual bright colours.

What would you suggest I do next? Am I just being worried over nothing? I think that's what the vet thinks!! I just worry about him and absolutely hate to think of him being unwell and in pain ☹️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You could get a blood test just for a baseline, if you wanted to be sure of liver & kidney function.
It does sound like though, he has or is slowing down for a slight brumation. He may not be down long as some have very light brumations compared to others.
If he is not eating much, but maintaining his weight, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Theie metabolism slows way down during this time. That's great his fecal exam came back negative for parasites, also.
It is hard not to worry about them, brumation time is always a large anxiety problem for us all!

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Cheekymonkeyemma

Original Poster
Hi everyone. Right,I've taken on board all of the really helpful advice and comments on here (thank you all so much for taking the time to reply!), had a lengthy chat with my vet, considered the clear fecal test and been monitoring my boy very closely for the last 24 hours and have come to the conclusion that I am being paranoid and over cautious and that he is probably just gearing up for some sort of brumation.

Having watched him for the last 24 hours he is still eating as normal, just maybe a bit up on the live food and down on the veg which I now understand to be a normal pre-brumtion behaviour, he is basking but is only doing it right after eating for a short period as opposed to being his usual lazy self and lounging around under the heat lamp for hours and he is still active throughout the day - maybe just a bit less than I'm used to. He is spending more time than usual at the cool end with his colours dark but as soon as I give him any fuss or pick him up he instantly brightens up.

I feel like I've caused a fuss over nothing but I only had him in February so this is really my first experience of brumation and I think it just scared the crap out of me a little! I've read up on it now and I'm feeling a lot more confident. I think I've just overcome another of the many learning curves of being a beardie owner!!

Thank you all so much for all of your help, I adore my boy so much and I just wanted to make sure he was okay!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That great that his fecal came back clear, it does sound like he's doing well. :) It's natural to be concerned about our pets, and a beardie's health + behavior is much different than a dog or cat so anything little thing can seem worrisome. All inquiries here are looked at by a number of people so it's good for beardie owners to seek help from experienced owners as well as experienced vets.

Cheekymonkeyemma

Original Poster
Absolutely! I've really come to place immense value on the experience and knowledge of the owners who take time to support us newbies! ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

No worries, it does sound like he is being a normal dragon getting ready to sleep some. Yes, it is quite common for them to want more protein & less vegetation before brumation, too.
He does seem very healthy but it's just what we all do, worry about our dragons! We were all new owners at one point & we are all still learning about them. :D
Do keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom