Plastic Bin Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to the site and I'm a noob to reptile husbandry but I've done a fair amount of research already (I've been interested in Beardies for about 2 or 3 years now). I'm extremely sorry if this question has been asked already but I gave a quick search and couldn't find much related to my question.

Currently I am looking to purchase a Bearded Dragon but my budget for the start-up isn't the highest. I am looking to buy an adult dragon so that it is relatively easier to care for in terms of feeding and impaction (Cricket size etc.). However, I cannot seem to find a 40 + gallon tank to fit my budget. I don't care about appearance. So, when I saw one of those plastic Rubbermaid bins I became curious about whether these would be good.
( Similar to this, but about 50 gallons or 32x20.2x17.5 .
AAAAAkOLiR4AAAAAAHzAbw.jpg
)

I was wondering if this would be acceptable? I have a screen from a 10 gallon tank that I could rest the heating lamp on and I could use the ridges built into the bin to rest the UVB lamp near the basking site (With this option, I'm worried the dragon could escape). Or I could cut holes in the lid of the bin and have the lights shine through there (So long as the plastic doesn't melt). I could probably cut out some cardboard to cover the ridgid bottom and then place newspaper overtop of that. Sorry for seeming like I don't care about the Dragon (I actually do, I care more the practical and safe use of the enclosure rather than having one that's visually pleasing. Saving money on the enclosure will leave me with more money for food, supplements, decorations and bulbs) Thanks :)

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Welcome to the beardie world!
I've seen people use these bins temporarily, but I do have a couple of concerns about them. First, I worry that the lamps could melt the plastic. I honestly don't know if that is a valid concern or not. Second, with that particular bin, your beardie wouldn't be able to see out. Mine watches everyone who walks by intently and perks up whenever she sees someone. I really think she would be quite upset if she couldn't see out of her tank. Have you checked the Craigs Lists near you? A lot of people have found awesome tanks for cheap prices on there. The other option is to build, but I think that would run you about $100-150, so that's not a savings. I'm interested to see what others say about this as well...
Sara
PS... if you get a beardie, we want pics!

TocksicTaylor

Original Poster
spurlee01":a0ef6 said:
Welcome to the beardie world!
I've seen people use these bins temporarily, but I do have a couple of concerns about them. First, I worry that the lamps could melt the plastic. I honestly don't know if that is a valid concern or not. Second, with that particular bin, your beardie wouldn't be able to see out. Mine watches everyone who walks by intently and perks up whenever she sees someone. I really think she would be quite upset if she couldn't see out of her tank. Have you checked the Craigs Lists near you? A lot of people have found awesome tanks for cheap prices on there. The other option is to build, but I think that would run you about $100-150, so that's not a savings. I'm interested to see what others say about this as well...
Sara
PS... if you get a beardie, we want pics!

Thanks for the reply :) Yes, if I used the lid as a "hood" I would be very worried about it melting. My secondary concern would probably that it would deform over time. Yes, another concern of mine. Although this is less important, I still wouldn't want to deprive my Bearded Dragon by placing it in an opaque box. However, I do plan on bringing the dragon out frequently and allowing him / her freetime to roam around my house (hopefully it won't poop all over the place though :) ) I have looked on Craigslist and Kijiji but so far, the search for tanks has either been too grande (As in 75 gallon tanks that I cannot fit) or they do not fit my budget. I am enrolled in my manufacturing class at my school so I was brainstorming making a large enclosure but that brought up other factors such as when I have the course (1st semester or 2nd), reptile safe stains and finishes, not to mention actually designing and building it. Hopefully I don't get flamed for this though XD

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
The only time I have ever seen someone flamed on this sight is when they were outright rude to others or when they were told that they were harming their beardies and refused to change things. The mods here are great and step in if anything like that occurs, so don't worry about that on this sight :D . Here's the enclosure I was looking at building http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/. Unfortunately, time and my own lack of skills prevented me from building it. There is a section on here devoted to do-it-yourself. A large portion of the members on here have built their own tanks. Unfortunately, to do it right, I think it'd be expensive. As for dragons pooping all over the place, my boyfriend's dragon is "potty trained" to go in the bath tub, so we give him a bath before he's allowed out to run around. My little one is not quite as easy though. I have to accept that any time Lilly is out, there is a definite chance that I will end up with poop somewhere I don't want it. This week alone she got my jeans and my pillow :shock: . She's worth it though lol.
Sara

repScott1

you'll be more happy raising a beardie to an adult. but a twenty gallon only cost like 40-50 bucks and that can last a few months. and a 40is only a hundred bucks. just wait till you can afford. crickets are nasty the stink and their loud should invest in a dubia colony never have to buy feeders again

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
If you are even a little handy you can make a cage for 125 to 150 dollars. Does Canada have a craigs list or something simular? You can get some great deals on there sometimes.

TocksicTaylor

Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":a8542 said:
If you are even a little handy you can make a cage for 125 to 150 dollars. Does Canada have a craigs list or something simular? You can get some great deals on there sometimes.

Yessir, Canada has Craigslist, but as I said, the selection right now is rather sparse. However, I believe that I am getting a 5 inch, high red, baby dragon for about 30 bucks and I have a 10 gallon that should keep him or her happy for about a month or two while I search for a suitable glass terrarium or save the money to buy one. I'll probably only use one of those tubs if it's for roaches or in a DIRE emergency and I can't find a large enough tank etc.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
A 10 gallon tank is really not an option, even with a little guy. It's not a question of size of the dragon, there just is not enough room in a 10 gal to have a basking spot of 105* and a cool side of 75*. I would wait until you have the funds for something bigger. There will always be dragons, there's no shortage.

repScott1":d0a67 said:
you'll be more happy raising a beardie to an adult.

I quite resent this. Out of my 3, 2 were full grown when I got them, and if anything, I've been happier with them than my little one. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but she was, and continues to be, a lot of work. All three were rescues, and she is by far the least grateful and loving towards me. I wouldn't trade Gibby or Dora for a baby any day. People seem to want babies because they think watching them grow will help bond them or something, but trust me, it's not necessary. Gibby positively glows when I pick him up and give him loves, and he was already an old man when he came into my home.

TocksicTaylor

Original Poster
peera":69448 said:
A 10 gallon tank is really not an option, even with a little guy. It's not a question of size of the dragon, there just is not enough room in a 10 gal to have a basking spot of 105* and a cool side of 75*.
People seem to want babies because they think watching them grow will help bond them or something, but trust me, it's not necessary.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely check around for some 20 gallons. I found one at a goodwill the other day for 10 bucks, should have got it :( Oh well. A cheap 20 gallon should be easier to find on craigslist or kijiji. I still think I'll stick with the baby dragon though, mostly because of the setup required for an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom