(pics)UVB advice for 40 gallon breeder/is my tank too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. Haven't logged in here for a while. Anyways
I have a 40 gallon breeder. I have an 18 inch reptisun in the tank and switching it out with a new 24 inch reptisun. It's not a high output. I was wondering if it was big enough? I know their are larger sizes. Will any High Output ones cover more of the tank or is the 24 fine? Will include pics.

Also I am wondering if my tank is too small for my larger beardie? I can upgrade but it will take me a month to save up for it. Sorry their tanks look bare. I'm willing to buy all I can for them.
Just spent money on 2 24 inch reprtisuns. 19 inch hammocks, repcal (vitamin d3 free, phosphorus free), I have one already with d3. exo terra cable clips to hold my domes down. I have a cat that almost started a fire knocking down a dome ?

Pic of the mounted 18 inch that's leaving. Mounting whatever size light would fit better and higher.
287gopc.jpg

Pic of the bigger beardies tank
r0vwva.jpg

raag3m.jpg

The smaller beardies tank (he's a runt) I think it's a good size for him. His new uvb will be mounted inside as well.
10ekenp.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your tank setup looks pretty good & the size should be fine also.
What basking light are you using now, it looks nice & bright. I would however, mount the
tube UVB directly overhead instead of on the back wall. The UVB light glares into his eyes &
out & away from him. It needs to be focused to where it will go directly onto him from an
overhead position.
You are using a Reptisun 10 tube bulb now?
The T5 High output tubes do put out a stronger UVB emission. What is the distance from the
top of the screen underneath, to his basking spot? The distance needed for the T5 HO bulbs
is 10 or so inches. It's best mounted alongside of a basking light, also.

Tracie

fl00dedlungs

Original Poster
Drache613":tru8xi3f said:
Hello,

Your tank setup looks pretty good & the size should be fine also.
What basking light are you using now, it looks nice & bright. I would however, mount the
tube UVB directly overhead instead of on the back wall. The UVB light glares into his eyes &
out & away from him. It needs to be focused to where it will go directly onto him from an
overhead position.
You are using a Reptisun 10 tube bulb now?
The T5 High output tubes do put out a stronger UVB emission. What is the distance from the
top of the screen underneath, to his basking spot? The distance needed for the T5 HO bulbs
is 10 or so inches. It's best mounted alongside of a basking light, also.

Tracie

I am using an exo terra basking bulb that is 100 watts. Keeps it hot for them. Zoo meds basking bulbs always burn out on me.
The mounting on the back wall hasn't been there long, it was kinda just a starting project for me learning to mount inside. Do you think the 24 inch is long enough for the 40 gallon? As in a enough uvb spreading through the tank?
I'm think I'm going to zip tie an under the cabinet light fixture to the lid. So it's facing downwards. I also think I'm going to keep the reptisun bulbs and not get high output because the lights are going to be mounted inside the tanks and do you think it should be enough? I don't know the exact distant. But the t5 might be too much... it might be 10 but barley maybe even 9. I don't have a tape measure.

So do you think I'd be ok if I sticked with the mounted 24 inch. It will be right under the lid facing down. I shouldn't be not enough uvb or am I wrong? I will replace it in 6 months anyways
Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that will be fine mounted inside, and if you add a nice climbing/basking log hell even be closer to the uvb. Beardies love a basking branch/log. You can collect one from outside , brush it off + pop it in a preheated oven for about an hour at 250. That will kill any potential pests. I've collected very nice pieces from outside like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29918/full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom