Phoenix worms vs. Dubia roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
sammyjackson":d6706 said:
I have a question, How long does it take for the roaches to start breeding? I only gave one to my beardie and he loved it . I'm still using crix but I cant wait to start with the roaches.
15-20 days after they molt into adults from what i was always told.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
As soon as you have a mature female and male roach, they will start breeding. I don't know for sure how long it takes from birth to maturity, you should pm theroachguy to be sure, I bet it is a at least two to three months after birth before a female is ready to start breeding. Once they are mature, that is all they live for is to keep on breeding. Yea!!! :blob5:

Eric

Laurmann2000

Juvie Member
I have a question. How do you stop the colony from increasing to the point where your beardie's appetite can no longer keep up with the supply of roaches? I have this vision of being over-run by roaches. :shock:

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
That's a great question. You can control their breeding by controling the heat, they slow way down without high temps. And you can also control them by feeding off the females once the colony can support itself. Not at all fool proof, but breeding can be slowed down considerably.

Eric

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
augsburg1530":2bdc2 said:
That's a great question. You can control their breeding by controling the heat, they slow way down without high temps. And you can also control them by feeding off the females once the colony can support itself. Not at all fool proof, but breeding can be slowed down considerably.

Eric
Eric is correct feed off the adult females or freeze them to kill them you could also sell the adult females to people I would buy what you have if you ever get to this point. this would for the most part control the problem.
Jason

dawnki

Juvie Member
sammyjackson":4d2db said:
My kids went crazy with the roaches so now they have a pair of roaches in a 10 gallon tank as pets in their bedroom. It's funny because my friends say that they are trying to get rid of their roaches and I am breeding them, and my answer is I'm crazy about roaches SO WHAT!!!!!.

:D

That is SO cool!

Roaches rule. :mrgreen:

patrickb

Juvie Member
I didn't know it was possible to have too many roaches? :p

Personally, I would setup a second colony as a backup incase something happened to the main colony. After that, as Jason said sell off the excess to him or anyone, or just cull what you won't need and freeze them.

kski

Hatchling Member
I have to switch to roaches after I move and that's all there is to it. I'm gonna have to order some just as feeders just to try them out. Everyone is so excited about this roach movement!

patrickb

Juvie Member
kski":8bc86 said:
I have to switch to roaches after I move and that's all there is to it. I'm gonna have to order some just as feeders just to try them out. Everyone is so excited about this roach movement!

Yes yes, The Army of the Roach People is spreading. We will be at your doorstep before you know it. ;)

sammyjackson

Original Poster
You can buy some as feeders if you want, but I asure you that your beardie is going to appreciate the change. I bought mine from Theroachguy and believe me you can start with the starting kit right away because you are going to end up doing it anyway. :D

Chris J.

puffmum

Are the roaches small enough to feed to babies? Mine is about 7" long. I'm not crazy about crickets but I'm not too sure about roaches :?

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
The beauty of dubia's is they come in a variety of sizes from teeny tiny to big adults.

What you do is keep the adult females and a few adult males for breeding and feed off the rest.

For a little dragon like yours you would feed off the medium small dubia nymphs, as your dragon grows you feed off bigger nymphs. In a breeding colony there are always the right size nymph for your feeding needs.

Dubia are so much better than crix. They don't stink, don't easily die off, don't make noise and don't stink. I know I said don't stink twice, I like don't stink!

http://www.theroachguy is the place to buy your starter kit of dubia and a great place for more info about these wonderful, amazing and terrific feeder. I don't know anyone who has gone Dubia and regretted it, not a single person. Dubia are the feeder of the future, today!!!! :blob5:

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom