Papa Smurf - pretty on the inside - full of sweetness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like everyone to meet my new beardie, Papa Smurf. I met Papa Smurf at our local reptile shop last week. He was brought in by two pre-teen girls in a cookie tin, unable to walk, severely malnourished and destined for the freezer. They said they felt sorry for him and hoped he could be helped. He's has a severe case of MBD with jaw, limb and tail deformities. I was drawn to him and I wanted to take him so badly, but we already have our hands full and after the Holidays we were pretty broke.

But then PetCo had a $1/gallon sale and we got two 40-gallon breeders...and there was no excuse for not taking him. The shop owner said he would lend me an entire set-up if we took him saying he knew we would give him a good home, and even though we didn't take him up on the tank and lights loan, I just couldn't leave him there. :cry: :oops:

May I present the glorious Papa Smurf:
6604490397_147fca5456.jpg

This was him the night I got him, December 28th. It took hours to set up the viv for him and the other new beardie we got that same day (yes we are insane LOL) so he got out of his pet carrier around 11:30pm. He looked so sad:
6607478081_a9f0186fa0.jpg

We gave him a midnight soak and he needed full support in the shallow tub water to keep him from drowning. :cry: I was worried I bit off more than I could handle with this sick boy, but after his bath he looked a little bit better. We noticed the blue sand in his eye and used a q-tip soaked in distilled water to gently remove it. Why do people house these poor guys on sand?!? His mouth had sand it in, it was caked on his vent, and his little arms and legs are stained blue. Now you see where he got the name Papa Smurf! He is little, grey-bearded and blue. :lol:
6607575071_85925d968b.jpg

I hope this leg can straighten out. He has a really hard time walking because of it. I had some advice on here about vet wrap to protect his scales and I did buy some so we'll hopefully get him rehabilitated to be able to use this leg. I am kinda worried it may be broken or a prior break that healed wrong.
6604413565_2d99220b7e.jpg

Here he is on December 30th, basking on his little low ladder in his jamming viv. He can't handle furniture right now because he is very crippled and can't really climb or get around, but he doesn't seem to mind. After mounting the UV inside the viv and raising the floor so he can be within about 6 inches, he really perked up. That UV is so important!
6607600233_42a1fd40c8.jpg

Here he is in his little bathtub with 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. Again he will drown if his head and neck aren't held above the water. He was drinking and drinking and all that thick saliva was running out into the water. After his bath he was swallowing and moving his neck as if we cleared out so much mucous. He looked much more comfortable.
6598446989_d32173c86a.jpg

And of course, after the bath we get a snuggle in the towel. He just lays wherever we put him and behaves so sweetly.
6598447513_373f669533.jpg

And here is how he slept. I was told here in my Beardie ER thread that he needed a night temp of at least 85 degrees since he is sick and it would help his immune system, and it really did make an improvement to the way he woke up the next day. He was much less stiff the next morning and ate breakfast right after waking up.
6598448151_fa52b1c043.jpg

My husband, Otto, told me Papa Smurf may not survive and you just never know with a sick beardie. He is trying to make sure I have a realistic understanding of Papa Smurf's disease because he knows what a softie I am. I've cried over this little guy so much already. His poo is terrible and we know he has parasites. The medication to treat that is pretty harsh so he is worried the treatment may be too much for him. I've been giving him AcidolphiLiz daily hoping to boost that good gut flora in preparation for future veterinary intervention.

Papa Smurf is a sweet lover of a bearded dragon. He is tough and a fighter but gives the sweetest looks. He truly appreciates us and he knows we are trying to help him. He 100% allows us to do whatever we try to do with him and is a total doll. :love5:

Uh-oh I think I have fallen in love..... :oops:

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2c5ij1vd said:
I just love Papa's new home, he certainly has alot more space to move around, especially if Chief visits again :mrgreen: . And Rocky probably thinks he's in dragon heaven at this point, a really clean space, a great UVB light that he's under no matter where he is, I know he'll improve really quickly. I'm just glad that he came home to you guys! :D :D

I sure hope he improves. I had Rocky in the living room today after his daily bath and Chief ran up to me and tried to attack while I was holding Rocky. :eek: It made me so angry. :angry5: I kept pushing Chief back because I don't want them near each other since Rocky is in quarantine, but Chief kept coming forward. I didn't want to touch Chief without sanitizer, so I 'thumped' him and he gave me a very enraged look. :angry5: And he came back at me full-force. Talk about being a Big Chief. LOL

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Shannon, are you there? I miss you & updates on Papa & Rocky. Hope all is going well & that your move went well. Hope to hear from you.
Deb

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Pffffft. I don't miss updates on Papa. *lies* And I CERTAINLY don't want to read about him and his adventures with Chief and/or Rocky. *nose growing* Don't bother with photos either *reverse psychology*

jewl495

Juvie Member
Moving can be such a chore especially when you have a big animal family. Hope things are going smoothly for you and the gain.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
WOW...! It's been a while since I have been on here! Yes moving is insane and we are nowhere near settled in. It's really hard to get everything where it is supposed to go, clean it before you do, clean the old place...get a washer & dryer, get a couch, internet working, cable on, A/C tuned up, pest control contacted...we are swimming in things to do and the morale is a little low around our house right now. We both got the flu the week we were moving and it's been difficult. :(

But enough about the boring old people. What about all the herps? 8) Thank you all for asking how we were doing. I haven't even set up my laptop in the new home yet, shoot it took days to get all the reptiles situated! No time for meeee. :mrgreen:

We had some funny moments in the move - The 4 big girls were left to roam in the new reptile room, and somehow Scarlet climbed INTO her empty tank, as if to say we were taking too long to get it set up. Two girls pooped on the freshly cleaned carpet...two of the Rankins escaped their temporary boxes and decided to mingle with the big girls...our savannah monitor decided to escape right before the movers were supposed to show up and he had to be excavated from the closet... :lol: ...there has been all kinds of mayhem.

We have a rescue room now and it is in the front of the house. It has Papa Smurf, Rocky, Brutis and Val. It is definitely the room with the most entertainment, since we have the Grand Hater Papa Smurf and his little Hater Brother Rocky who both think Val is their girl. So that is fun. Then we have Brutis, who is the only truly healthy dragon in that room, and he always has one of those 'dramatic groundhog' looks on his face. He hates everyone also. So we have this horrible room of dramatic hate and loathing in the front of the house, and then in the back we have the baby room and then a larger reptile room, both of which are very harmonious. Ginger, Scarlet, Beauty and the Rankins are in the reptile room, and we have 6 babies in the baby room. Then we have Maya and Chief in the living room with our savannah and my blue tongue.

And we have crap and boxes all over the place. :shock: At least the reptiles are happy...lol.

Hope everyone else is doing good. Now I need to run around and catch up on everyone else here. I've missed this place! :love5:

Nicodemous

Hatchling Member
Enjoy your new home, it sounds like you'll be busy for a while. :)
Its amazing what beardies can get into or out of. Good luck in your new home!
:)

-K-

Menolly07

Juvie Member
They need to make beardie glue. An easy stick substance that will hold them in place and release on command..... I want that. It would be useful. <3 to the babies, you and Otto..... In that order ;-3

jewl495

Juvie Member
It sure seems like you have a lot of clowning around going on over there. I'm glad you have mr Grumpy Papa to keep everyone in line :whip: haha. I had quite the chuckle...the dramatic hate and loathing room and then you the girls and babies who are full of sweetness. Your home sounds like so much fun, I totally want to come visit!

I hope you are having fun in the new place. Even though moving can be a pain, its also exciting figuring out where your going to put all your things.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's so good to hear from you Shannon. And the hijinks of all your babies. Sorry about the flu, it always hits when least wanted, so get better soon. Moving is such a pain in the rear, but it sounds as if everything & everyone is there, and that all your babies are sorted, the hate room, the grownups room and the baby room, not forgetting the Chief's living room! Oh glory, that they all have their own rooms must be delightful!

I wish you so much good in the rest of the move. Getting stuff organized is the worst part of the move, where to put everything? I hope that goes well for you.

Please keep in touch, I sure missed you while you were sick & moving! Take care of yourself & Otto, the reptiles sound as if they're settling in quite well!
Take care
Deb

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
We are definitely having the problem of where to put things. The house is laid out so much different from our apartment that it is hard to form a place where everything would go. We have a house meeting tonight so we can get our heads together. LOL

I have been letting some of my babies look out a window in a spare room. They are fascinated at the cars going by and the brightness of outdoors. Our old place didn't have any windows that looked outside, so they are having a wonderful mental retreat daydreaming at the window. :) I will post up some pictures of the move and how some of the babies have grown.

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
ShannyBeard":dr4qqh3d said:
So we have this horrible room of dramatic hate and loathing in the front of the house

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

I can just imagine this, and it is hilarious!

God, I feel for you, I really do. I have moved with the flu as well, once. It is right up there with, well... death.

Don't worry, each day you'll make some progress, and before you know it everything (and everyone) will have their place, routine will resume, and life will be good again. :D

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Hello, everyone! :wave: The last few weekends have been sunny, and we've been taking advantage of the nice days to give the dragons some sun. This weekend has been very breezy, cool and overcast because of the hurricane, so we had to battle patches of clouds to feel any sun. That didn't keep Papa Smurf from basking:

7867740832_caaeef6ba1.jpg

Papa Smurf loves being outside and isn't afraid or nervous. He walks around in the grass like a dog and leads me around. He even poops in the yard :lol: :lol: He is shedding so he looks blue again, just like back when we first got him. It's cute to see the blue again, but I wish it would go away for good. We've had him for 8 months. :love5: He is eating superworms and silkworms right now, and we just fed everyone wax worms yesterday, too. He doesn't seem to be having any trouble at all, so that's good to report. Hope everyone is doing well and having a good end of the summer. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom