outside stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
I took my beardie outside for the first time today...he wasn't outside for long...but when i came back in he was black on top and dark stress marks...i feel really bad and wanted to know if there would be any lasting effects...

Lenewen

Juvie Member
No, he will get used to it. It's a new environment and that can be stressful on them at first.

It's also important to note beardies darken when they are basking to absorb the UVB better. Perhaps he was just soakin' up the sun :)

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Could be, at least i hope...he was pancaked on my chest after coming in like he was hunkering down...should i keep him inside from now on?

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He was somewhat cold...he had been out of his cage for about an hour by then...it was about 70-75 degrees farenheit outside...but he was only outside for like 5 minutes...he did seem better after eating some crix and basking...he was back to normal after about 10 minutes

Lenewen

Juvie Member
I usually only take mine outside if it's around 80 degrees or higher. I think he was just cold, not that 70's is really that cold. It's no problem to take him outside and I encourage it. There is nothing quite like the benefits of natural sun for beardies and humans alike.

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
This time he stayed out for 15 min...i would have kept him out longer but i dont have a leash so i just keep him on my chest with my hand over him

Lenewen

Juvie Member
You can make your own leash. Get a piece of felt or cloth and cut out holes for the arms to go through. Wrap the felt around the bearded's body and secure it at the top by cutting two small holes in the edges of the felt and tying them together. Then attach a leash of some sort to another hole you make in the top middle of the felt. I used a clip-on purse handle. They don't walk like dogs on a leash, you really only need one so you can restrain them if they try to take off across the yard.

dragontamer13

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I did order him one about a month ago but he outgrew it in the time it took to get there lol hes a fast grower

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
Rosie will turn black on the top when he is basking in the sun I believe it is to absorb more UVB. However if the temps aren't right it may be stress also if it is his first time out he may be nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom