Outside cage Fl

Jramirez

Hello , new owner here , I live in Florida where it is hot as balls 😂😂 I know this enclosure is not “for” a bear die but she likes it and I Olán on doing some fixing up for her, my question is… I have this cage outside on my pool deck do I need a light ? I first figured not but I have a pool cage and I feel like the pool screen is blocking uvb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 141

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello , new owner here , I live in Florida where it is hot as balls 😂😂 I know this enclosure is not “for” a bear die but she likes it and I Olán on doing some fixing up for her, my question is… I have this cage outside on my pool deck do I need a light ? I first figured not but I have a pool cage and I feel like the pool screen is blocking uvb
Yes you need a UVB a long tube fixture and I recommend a tank w/ floor space not height-
a 4x2x2 tank -- at this point your dragon is not getting proper surface basking temps for digestion and no UVB - he needs direct sunlight for the UVB --

Jramirez

Original Poster
Yes you need a UVB a long tube fixture and I recommend a tank w/ floor space not height-
a 4x2x2 tank -- at this point your dragon is not getting proper surface basking temps for digestion and no UVB - he needs direct sunlight for the UVB --
Ok thanks ! I will bring her light out she does have a 20l glass enclosure inside , for this tank I’m going to get some screen possibly and make those levels flat with some vegetation she can burrow in etc to make more floor space I know they are not climbers so I plan on fixing it for her ,

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok thanks ! I will bring her light out she does have a 20l glass enclosure inside , for this tank I’m going to get some screen possibly and make those levels flat with some vegetation she can burrow in etc to make more floor space I know they are not climbers so I plan on fixing it for her ,
What UVB are you using- we recommend a long tube fixture like a 24 "Zoo Med or a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - the 20 gallon tank would take a T 8 bulb of which the Zoo Med would come w/ but you would need it in the tank or unobstructed w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking deocr for good and proper UVB -- the T 5's or 12% bulb require a 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have lived in Florida the humidity is a killer. Be careful not to leave her out there for extended periods of time. 70% is the absolute high end for them. You can run the risk of respiratory infection. I use a similar setup for my dragons. What i do is move it into the direct sunlight and hang a towel so that it shades half. Like that they can move in and out of the sun light. If they don't have a way to get out of the sun they can overheat very quickly, and it can be fatal.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I believe those enclosures are for ferrets and I was going to try to get one but I didn't want to be judged by @xp29 lol (long story). I went another route and it's a good thing I tried it inside because Rocky is still too small and walked right through the sides of it. (Smacks head)

Anyhow, I was going to tag @xp29 as I know he has one and it works for him but I see that he beat me to it-

We are going through high humidity right now as well as soon as I take Rocky out (just to run something to the car), I can see him opening/closing his mouth as soon as he gets back inside. It immediately stops but we have to be careful. However, Rocky and his owner (me) are dramatic so it could be an exaggerated yawn.

If it's hot do you need the full fleece blanket? I can assume it's to get your beardie familiar with you but I don't want to assume.... You can also use strips of material if you want.

Best of luck and welcome to the wonderful world of beardies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The cage i use outside is a ferret cage also, it's a ferret nation setup. It has a wide flat bottom level on the upper and lower levels each. The bar spacing is either 3/4 inch or 1 inch (i don't remember off top my head) it works really well. I use towels also, the trays are black and can get to hot so the towel is an insulator. :)

Attachments

• 20220703_150703.jpg
    20220703_150703.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 71

TFreak

What UVB are you using- we recommend a long tube fixture like a 24 "Zoo Med or a 24 watt Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - the 20 gallon tank would take a T 8 bulb of which the Zoo Med would come w/ but you would need it in the tank or unobstructed w/ a distance of 6-8 inches directly above the basking deocr for good and proper UVB -- the T 5's or 12% bulb require a 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor
I’m gonna butt in here n say that the T8 is actually not good yu need the T5 10.0 unless it’s the Acadia and then it’s the 12% but I deeply suggest to stay away from the T8. Good luck!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It would be much better if you could put it on it's side. Beardies need more length than height for a tank. I'm not sure I understand the pool screen you're talking about, is it a screened porch ? I think that if your cage is in the sun you don't need any uvb .

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom