Opinions wanted on insect feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

secretevo

I just have a question I was hoping to get some other opinions on. I have 2 juvenile beardies (seperate housing)..... Anyways I feed several crickets a day, and maybe 1 or 2 meal worms a day to them. They are doing perfectly fine, I was just wondering, what others prefer to feed or get the best results from. I was thinking crickets were the better bet, cause you can feed them better and in return your dragon benefits. Right? what do you think?

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Crickets are fine but mealworms are a little more on the risky side. They have more shell than meat and can cause impaction, plus they don't have any nutritional value really. I wouldn't really feed these even when they're adults and especially b/c it's more risky in juvies. Soft bodied worms are good too, like hornworms, silkworms, butterworms, or phoenix worms. Butterworms are very easy to care for, you don't have to feed them you just stick them in the fridge. However, they are a little higher in fat so what I do is order butterworms, then silkies or hornworms and not order so many butters. Crickets are great for exercise and are a good staple but you have to dust them with calcium and multivitamins. Some soft bodied worms have some calcium in them. Make sure you are doing calcium 5 times a week and multivitamin twice a week. Variety is good too so it might benefit your dragons too to order a different feeder every now and then. :)

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
There are many bd owners who have joined the roach club although I truly believe in variety. I am starting a roach colony for their nutrititional value, and it will eventually yeild free feeders if I do it right. The good thing about crickets is that you can gut load them and you are essentially feeding your bd what you feed the crickets. They are just messy & stinky and hard to keep. Phoenix worms are a good staple and treat although I have had one bd that takes them or leaves them whenever he decides. I have never had one turn a head at a roach! They must taste like candy to them because they will eat them until they are about to explode. I can get crickets local so I pick up about 60 at a time and feed one meal a day, then roaches another meal and the phoenix worms trade out about every other day since they keep the longest. Yup, and you can say beardie slave, and proud of it! The people on this forum made me that way so it's all their fault! LOL! Cheryl

secretevo

Original Poster
seadooz":860f1 said:
There are many bd owners who have joined the roach club although I truly believe in variety. I am starting a roach colony for their nutrititional value, and it will eventually yeild free feeders if I do it right. The good thing about crickets is that you can gut load them and you are essentially feeding your bd what you feed the crickets. They are just messy & stinky and hard to keep. Phoenix worms are a good staple and treat although I have had one bd that takes them or leaves them whenever he decides. I have never had one turn a head at a roach! They must taste like candy to them because they will eat them until they are about to explode. I can get crickets local so I pick up about 60 at a time and feed one meal a day, then roaches another meal and the phoenix worms trade out about every other day since they keep the longest. Yup, and you can say beardie slave, and proud of it! The people on this forum made me that way so it's all their fault! LOL! Cheryl
Is there an online location you would recommend ordering the worms from. Or do you get them from your local store

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Depends on your location but you can order them directly from phoenixworm.com and they ship them for free Priority Mail from Tifton, GA. Remember, all feeder suppliers only ship on Monday thru Wednesday in case of delays. There are other suppliers that also carry silkworms too. I believe everyone out West perfers mulberryfarms.com for their great service. Just have to be careful since the shipping can get expensive. Cheryl

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
For phoenix worms: Phoenixworms.com

Hornworms: greatlakeshornworm.com

Everything else! mulberryfarms.com

Good luck! :D

duke11

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, I didn't include a specific site, but I believe mulberryfarms.com sells just about every feeder, including roaches. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom