Ongoing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little D

Hatchling Member
I had started a thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=100225&hilit=&start=15

but it is now locked so I'm continuing it here.

The problems mentioned in the above topic continue. My BD has completely stopped eating greens, when he was eating at least one full bowl a day. His intake of roaches has now gone to sometimes 7 a day, but usually more like 4 or 5 a day. He was eating at least 10 - 15 per day on top of the greens he was eating. Nothing in his viv has been changed and it is all still the same as I explained in my first thread except that I have lowered the temps a bit like Tracie suggested and I also have a CHE that turns on at night now to keep the humidity down. The temps at night with the CHE on, fall down too about 85º but at least now the humidity stays at about the 40% range.

I gave him two separate treatments of Reptaid, both treatments were 10 days long like they suggest and there was a 5 day gap in between the treatments.
In my first thread, Tracie had asked if the eyes looked bright or sunken in? Although I'm not 100% sure, but I think they DO look a little bit sunken in. If they are, what is this a sign of?
He has also had a small piece of skin hanging off by his one eye, which looks like shedding that didn't come completely off, but it's been there for quite some time. The rest of his face just shed about a week ago.

Hopefully Tracie will see this and give her thoughts about what's going on. I really hope she's right when she said this could be a brumation phase he's going through but I just thought it was weird how he was fine all winter long, then near the end of winter started this. Is it common for a young BD to start a brumation phase late in the season like that?

@Tracie, I also posted some pics in the locked thread for you because you wanted to see the size of him, to see if maybe he was to big (round) for his length

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I took the liberty of putting the pictures from that other thread here for you to make it easier for everyone.
pic.php

pic.php

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
Without a vet check up from a good reptile vet its hard to say. In my experience most health problems arise from something lacking in husbandry.

In your other posts you said that you measured your basking temps with a digital therm w/probe and it said 117, but with a temp gun it said 108. Are you sure your digital therm. is accurate? The reason I'm asking is, is it possible that your air temps around the basking area were 117? What watt bulb are you using for heat and what kind of bulb is it? Also how do you keep your animal hydrated?

Humidity is only going to cause a respiratory problem if the animal can't get to a dry area (over time) or his basking temps are too low and he's not running on all cylinders (so to speak). Your humidity was not high. Even if it raised over night, beardies are more than capable of handling periods of high humidity. If not they would all die when it rained or when they were in burrows :) Wild beardies spend nights in cracks, crevices, tin sheets, and burrows. All of which are going to have more humidity than the air outside (micro-environment).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom