One Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
I've had my Viserion now for a week, and she has been squinting one eye frequently. I don't see any other signs of injury, she is active and eating well, plus I am not sure how she would injure her eye, she is within safe distance from her UVB source. The only thing I can think is that she maybe burned her eye before arriving here, and if that is the case maybe I should shut her UVB off for a week and let it heal? I just dont want to turn her UVB off for a week if its not necessary, I just don't get why she would be squinting the one eye.

Below is the eye in question when opened

43538-6889608940.jpg

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
Whatever the problem is, I sincerely doubt that keeping her uvb off for a week will do anything and will instead just create other problems you do not want.
I am not really sure what it is, though. Have you already ruled out the possibility of shed on the eye?

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Rampagingraptor":3chu8u1i said:
Whatever the problem is, I sincerely doubt that keeping her uvb off for a week will do anything and will instead just create other problems you do not want.
I am not really sure what it is, though. Have you already ruled out the possibility of shed on the eye?

Anytime there is any kind of UV burning to the eyeball, it is recommended to keep the UV source off for a week at minimum to allow the eye to heal. A week without UVB will have very little, if any, negative effect on her health, especially with sufficient vit D consumption. I just don't want to jump straight to that solution if it is not indeed a UV burn.

I havent seen any signs of shed since I have gotten her.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
At such a young age I would not turn off the UVB. Little Dragon had one eye he seemed to close more then the other. I use a Reptisun t5 HO and I switched it out to a t8 10.0. Not much difference with his eye so I went back to the t5 HO. There is a possibility it is shed related.

You could provide a multi-level basking spot that incorporates shading so he can have the warmth but get out of the direct "sunlight" and let him regulate his UVB exposure.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
I've never heard of that as a solution, but my medical knowledge on beardies is still somewhat limited. Where did you hear that from?
Is there anything else that seems off with the eye?

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Rampagingraptor":2ydgiws9 said:
I've never heard of that as a solution, but my medical knowledge on beardies is still somewhat limited. Where did you hear that from?
Is there anything else that seems off with the eye?

Man, I don't even know, I have been around reptiles my whole life and Bearded Dragons the last 8 years. Their eyes do not heal as well or as quickly from a uv burn when it is exposed to UV still. I am sure if you browse through the forums you will find mention of it though, especially if you look to back around the time that we had a ton of people experiencing problems with their powersun MVBs.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
I did a cursory glance and didn't see much on it. Course, I am at work, so I don't really want to focus too much on this right now.
I would try to confirm this with Tracy or one of them before you even think about implementing it, though, just in case.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Did a little bit of digging around. If you suspect eye damage from the UVB you can turn it off for 1 to 5 days, or alternatively reduce the daily time on. I think this problem was mainly seen in the coil type UVB lights. If you are using a MVB you would need to be supply another heat source. What are you using?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is she squinting while she isn't under the light as well? It could just be a particle or small piece of shed that is irritating the eye so she's closing it. My Darwin has been doing the same thing with one eye (his face is shedding). You could try rinsing the eye with some plain saline and see if flushing it helps.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Maybe I was too vague on "where I had heard it", When I said I wasnt sure, I didn't mean as in I wasnt sure in the validity of the info, I've dealt with many a case of reptiles with photo-kerato conjunctivitis due to being too close to UVB source( I worked as a brief stint as an ACO at a municipal animal shelter, so a TON of people would bring their animals to us instead of a vet to avoid vet fees, which led to me making many many phone calls to area vets). My concern is only that I do not want to take steps to treat PKC without being sure that is the issue.

If any member more experienced at diagnosing PKC, that would be muy beneficial !

I'm gonna hold off on turning off the UV unless I see other signs of eye injury ie discharge , discoloring etc.

Hopefully its just a shed coming on!

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":2qwciqrt said:
Did a little bit of digging around. If you suspect eye damage from the UVB you can turn it off for 1 to 5 days, or alternatively reduce the daily time on. I think this problem was mainly seen in the coil type UVB lights. If you are using a MVB you would need to be supply another heat source. What are you using?

I am not using an MVB, but the most common cause nowadays of Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis in reptiles is being too close to UVB source. While she is within optimal distance from the UVB bulb I have her under now , I couldnt be positive of her environment previous to me.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":38hnnclu said:
Is she squinting while she isn't under the light as well? It could just be a particle or small piece of shed that is irritating the eye so she's closing it. My Darwin has been doing the same thing with one eye (his face is shedding). You could try rinsing the eye with some plain saline and see if flushing it helps.

This will probably be my next step, I have seen her squint a couple times outside of her basking area, but I wasnt sure if it was coincidence or if it meant anything as it happens most under the light.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Really. A week without UVB will not hurt him. If you can take him out in the sun for 45 minutes to an hour daily that would meet his UVB needs if you're concerned. Do make sure he has a heat bulb, though, as that is necessary for digestion.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah, I am aware of what causes it. I was just trying to give you options besides doing a complete UVB shutdown for a week (providing shade, reducing UVB time on, etc.) If you are using a reliable UVB source and it is a safe distance away then it is probably a shed like mentioned. Or maybe something in the eye like Coop said with a saline flush option.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":3qmm5296 said:
Yeah, I am aware of what causes it. I was just trying to give you options besides doing a complete UVB shutdown for a week (providing shade, reducing UVB time on, etc.) If you are using a reliable UVB source and it is a safe distance away then it is probably a shed like mentioned. Or maybe something in the eye like Coop said with a saline flush option.

I only included the "what causes it" bit of info because your comment about how PKC is mainly being seen in the coil type bulbs. Since reptile keepers have discovered PKC and the causes of it, the majority of the bulb manufacturers have taken steps to reduce the abnormal amounts of shorter-length rays these bulbs were emitting. While it definitely still happens, cases of PKC from coil bulbs have been reduced quite a bit. I did not mean for you to take offence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom