omg CREEPY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
OMG!! i have just got some roaches delivered for the first time and how do you guy do this, they are sooooo creepy!!

my s/o has now seen them and has banned me from breeding them ever! its the first time ever i have been creeped out by buggs!

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
they're so super creepy at first, i know believe me. just pick up a female and let her crawl around on you a while. it'll help you get used to it. plus they're so easy to breed and if they get out just crank the air conditioning and they're dead. They'll never get out though.

you have to handle one or two or you'll never get used to 'em.

hartungs

Hatchling Member
Oh I know EXACTLY how you feel. When I received my very first order, it took me over an hour to get them into their bin. I was freaked out and wondered what I had gotten myself into. I knew I needed to touch them, but honestly, the only way I could do it was to have a couple of drinks first. This was my "liquid courage" and eventually I got used to them. Now, it is just second nature to touch them or have them crawl on me. Remember, they do not bite...they just feel a little wierd when they crawl. You need to force yourself to touch them...IT WILL GET EASIER.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yup I agree, to get over your fear just go hands first into the bin and grab a few! Your fear will be over. :lol: :wink:

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
That's funny Sam! LOL! Just to derail the thread for a second. I've had an infatuation w/ Tarantulas since I've been a kid. But I just couldn't muster it to pick one up... EVER. Than one of my customers that's a good friend of mine was rippin on me about it (not too long ago actually), so one night at his house I decided to get rip roarin' drunk. Either way I ended up next door at his shop and I was like GIMMEE THAT THING! Poor Rose Hair T' had no where to go. LOL!!! Then I was going for the Goliath Bird Eater and he's like... ahhh ok, too much to drink, 12" spider, 1" fangs.... C'mon Ian lets go back to the house and shoot some pool! LOL! Us roach dudes gotta blow off some steam too ya know!

If you are 21 and deathly afraid of cockroaches than I HIGHLY recommend going this route! You'll be playing w/ them before you know it!

-Ian
http://www.theroachranch.com

hartungs

Hatchling Member
HA HA HA HA!!!!!! Ian...now that's funny! There is nothing like liquid courage to help you out. I am still trying to get my wife super drunk so she will handle the adults. She can play with the little nymphs, but wants nothing to do with the adults yet.

Ihaggerty1313":322aa said:
That's funny Sam! LOL! Just to derail the thread for a second. I've had an infatuation w/ Tarantulas since I've been a kid. But I just couldn't muster it to pick one up... EVER. Than one of my customers that's a good friend of mine was rippin on me about it (not too long ago actually), so one night at his house I decided to get rip roarin' drunk. Either way I ended up next door at his shop and I was like GIMMEE THAT THING! Poor Rose Hair T' had no where to go. LOL!!! Then I was going for the Goliath Bird Eater and he's like... ahhh ok, too much to drink, 12" spider, 1" fangs.... C'mon Ian lets go back to the house and shoot some pool! LOL! Use Roach dudes gotta blow off some steam too ya know!

If you are 21 and deathly afraid of cockroaches than I HIGHLY recommend going this route! You'll be playing w/ them before you know it!

-Ian
http://www.theroachranch.com

lmfao Ian, thats priceless!!!

-Steve

sivuh5

I was pretty creeped out when I first opened the box too - they're much bigger than I expected!!

But I picked them up with long tweezers and once I saw how relatively helpless they are it made it a little easier. Then I saw how much my baby LOVED them, and I was sold. I really hate the crix, and although I'm not in love with these guys, at least they don't stink and they can't get away! As long as I've got my trusty tweezers I think I'll be OK!!

S.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
I'm with Sivuh on this one. I'm a pro with a set of long tweezers and in the few months that I've had my dubias, I have yet to pick one up! Don't plan to. I must say however, that I have gotten more used to them and am not so creeped out by the look of the big ones, but, I'm still not grabbing a handful! (NOT GONNA HAPPEN LANCE!! LOL)

Ian, your a riot! To think, a bug guy afraid of a big, hairy spider! :shock: LMAO!!! I'm not picking up one of those either, not even after a couple of drinks!

Bugsy, you'll get used to how creepy they look. And really, starting a colony is going to save you a huge amount of money on feeders, not to mention that they are the most nutritious feeder for you dragon. My hubby said much the same thing. In fact when we got the first batch and he saw one of the adults for the first time he was like "HELL NO! Thats a F!#%$#@ giant cockroach! If one of those escapes, the whole batch is gone!" Not a single escapee, and it took him all of a day before he was picking them up and hand feeding them to our dragon. He was really impressed by how much our big boy Assassin loved them. We now have a colony of about 800!

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well i managed to get 6 medium ones out, and Gizmo LOVED them! I just kept telling her she better know what a very good slave i am! But i bought a medium box of 50, and over half of them are too big for her! There huge! Ive said for now i will just buy the boxes of small ones and when he thinks thats fine, ill bring up breeding them again!

We were literally screaming and jumping up and down, with Gizmo in the middle just looking at us to man up and giver her the creepy crawlies!

Missi1980

I wish i could just get over the fact of having them in my house.....EWWWWWWWW...I have thought, and thought about starting my babies on them, I dont think there is enough "liquid courage" in the world for me to even buy them....I've got goose bumps just thinking about them. :puke:

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
my beardie breeder has talked with me at legnth about roaches and she is going to have some shipped to me next week - beginning of feb time frame, and just the thought of them bothers me as well...good to know i'm not the only one... maybe when i get htem i'll go outside and touch one like lance says... after all they are just bugs... cruncy, icky, bugs.... uuhhhhh... yall wish me luck bahahhaha

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well i can now pick them up without screeming, so its progress i think! Its just their sticky legs that get me, im soo used to supers biting me i automatically flinch! I went through the box gave it a good clean and got rid of the big ones, they seem harmless enough but your right it does take a while, not like crix or locusts! Its real love when you can pick up a roach for your scaley ones!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Now you see my problem! The roaches LOOK creepy enough, but those prickly legs are what gets to me! Sorry, not gonna pick up an adult by hand! The babies are like big roly-polys, they don't freak me out, it's big BIG ones with the icky legs! :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom