Obsessed with beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomek

Juvie Member
Ok, please someone tell me that they are obsessed with their beardie like me. I am always going in to look at him and making sure he as food, water, etc. I critique everytime his beard turns black and want to know if I am doing something wrong. I also, want to take him out of his cage quite a bit. Is that ok to do that? I am concerned he will not get enough basking time and perhaps they do not like being out of their cage? anyone out there like me? :D

quigleysmom

Juvie Member
I am also obsessed with mine. I wonder over every little thing he does. Right now he doesn't want to eat and it is driving me crazy. As far as taking yours out. As long as he is pooping and not passing undiegested food in it he is getting enough basking time. Mine is out quite a bit. He likes looking out the window so I made a bsking spot on top of his viv and I am using his old vivs uvb tube so I know he is getting enough uvb. I am honestly not sure what the exact numbe of hours they need uvb every day. I would say mine gets a solid 8 hours a day. He seems healthy enough.

athenacp

Extreme Poster
Obsessed? Nah, unless you have over 300 pics of your beardie on your phone and 2 of your hubby like me :lol:

Seriously, I am extrememly obsessed also and I try to cuddle him every chance I can on the weekends, I work 2 full time jobs so dont see him at all during the week, the hubby sends me pics and videos of him and lest me know what he is doing. Right now he is semi-brumating so he isn't doing much but I still demand updated...you would figure by now it would lessen as Digger will be 8 years old next week, nope.

You're not obsessed, you're normal!

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok, WHEW! that is good to know. I have a crested gecko and dog as well, but, for some reason I want to cuddle my beardie all the time :D How big are your beardies? mine is about one year old 15" long. I cannot wait until he gets bigger !

Thanks everyone. That was funny about more pictures of your beardie than your husband :p

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Count me in! I am obsessed! I have 3 of them. I take one every where I can get away with it...LOL

Spring/Summer....they walk with me every where, go in the car with me, go to my parents ( which my mom hates...hehehe)

They have their own blankets that I make, leashes, carriers....

Yea....Obesessed. If I could find a bearded dragon charm necklace/bracelet, for ME to wear, I would!

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok that goes above and beyond obsessed (only kidding). Well, I am in Chicago and unfortunately cannot take him out during the Winter (which is really awful for him). I cannot wait until Spring, I am going to introduce him to grass for the first time !! WISH ME LUCK :) You mentioned taking them in the car with you? how do you do that? where do you keep them?

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Kitten carrier? where did you buy that? I would love to get one of those for my beardie. How big is your beardie?

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Yes I am obsessed as well. When I'm home I check on her constantly to see what she's doing, is she basking, has she pooped, is she getting UVB, is she looking at me when I call her, what is she doing now? How many crickets did she eat? Do I have enough crickets? How many days in a row have I dusted calcium? Did I dust vitamins this week? Are the reptiworms holding up (haven't turned into flies yet)? Time to clean the viv? Get rid of the germs and bacteria? What's her poop look like today? Right color? All digested? It goes on and on and on...
I'm also obsessed with tweaking her viv to reach the right temps, lighting, beardie comforts. I'm so happy today - I went out to Walmart and bought a light fixture and mounted it on the inside of her tank (I had one perched on top of the screen top and I was obsessing that she wasn't getting adequate UVB) with double stick velcro tape. Her viv is so much brighter now. Obsessively measured distance from potential spots where she sits to make sure we're in the 6-8" range.
My latest viv obsession is that I want a viv that opens in the front instead of the top. Unless I build it myself I probably won't get one. I'm sure my obsessiveness will eventually drive me to get in the car and head to home depot for supplies :blob5:

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
WOW!, BeardieGrandma you really are obsessed, I dont feel so bad now :D you mentioned 6-8" away from the UVB light. I thought they are supposed to be 10-12" away? that is what I have been reading? who knows.... I read all sorts of different information. How old and how big is your Beardie? You also mentioned a front open cage. I was just thinking about that the other day. How much easier it would be to have that. I HATE that it opens from the top and you have to pick it up a bit and push it back. They werent thinking when they invented cages for Beardies. If you find one that opens in the front, let me know. I also just bought a night time heat emitter for my beardie. It was getting very cold in our house (I am in Chicago). I wait for him to go to bed then I cover him a little with a blanket, SPOILED or what? It is also funny because it was my daughters Beardie and I took him over because she wasnt taking proper care of him. She has another one that I also take care of AND a crested gecko. My beardie I think is going through puberty or something, he has been very irritable and his beard has been pitch black and he opens his mouth to me when I open his cage now. Very cranky. He is about one years old. Did yours go through that?

Tomek

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi NightmareDisco,

How old is your beardie? 17" is a nice size. Mine is about 15" and I cannot wait for him to get bigger (hopefully he will?) I will have to get one of those carriers, sounds like a good idea :D

RowenJade

Juvie Member
athenacp":2y33x18e said:
Obsessed? Nah, unless you have over 300 pics of your beardie on your phone and 2 of your hubby like me :lol:

LOL This is sooo me. Only I've had mine for 2 days and I have a little less than that...I think my husband is the first couple pictures (considering my iPod touch was what he bought me for xmas...the least i can do is have one or two of him in there) and then the beardies stole the show :lol:

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Obsessed who me? Both of my beardies have carriers and get to go places in the summer months,both have their own blankies and get snuggled to sleep every night. My husband snuggles one and either my son or I snuggle the other one. They get out of viv time to roam the living room with us and get to play climb the mountain,(whoever they decide to climb on.They get their fav foods,collards are both of my babies fav greens,bluieberries,strawberries etc.........for treats.They each have a selection of stuffies that they like to climb on Alfs is a stuffed teddy bear or 3 Gimli is very particular and has to have Mr. Lizard,a small stuffed lizard my son gave him............They are spoiled babies to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom