Not sure what to do

Amylouize

Beardie name(s)
Bowie
Hi! We have had our dragon for about 9 mos now. He has gotten huge and I've had to upgrade his tanks lol. We used to feed him worms and lettuce and then found out he should have more crickets than worms so now we feed him those and lettuce.
He used to poop every other day or so but now I haven't seen any visible signs of poop for awhile.
I'm not sure what to do.
Not to mention I got this for a teenager who now has lost interest in taking care of him so I have to make sure he gets fed.
I'm not sure if I even am able to take care of him the right way and wonder if there is a better life for him with someone who will pay way more attention to him than he is getting now!!
What do you think? Please help ...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Lettuce is not good, feed collard, turnip,mustard, or dandelion greens, kale, ect. Dudia roaches are better feeders as well. What are you using for uvb and basking, please post pics of your setup and especially the lighta and screen.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How long has it been since he did a poo ?

If it's < 1 week , he should be OK , just give him about 2ml of olive oil by mouth using needless syringe , that usually lubricates everything gets it moving , they like the taste of olive oil too ( a bonus ).

If no poo after about 48 hr , try again
You can also let him free range a bit more inside where he's safe ( from getting under behind furnature ) , the crawling often encourages a movement.
A bath in shallow tepid ( 30 deg C ) water , with gentle tummy rubs will often help too.

If it gets > 2 weeks since a poo , cut back on the solids and keep up the olive oil , free ranging , baths and he should deliver a very stinky motherload.

Solid foods will only add to the backlog in his stomach and GIT and make the impaction worse
So it's liquids and sloppy pastes til he gives you a poo and you are sure the impaction has been resolved , as he'll get the nutrients, fats and proteins he needs from the liquid diet.

I'd take to a vet if it get past 3 or 4 weeks ( as the contents of GIT would be getting very putrid and rotten ), the last resort IMO is the vet mechanically forcing the contents of stomach into the GIT under pressure with water , and I'll caution against allowing the vet to do this along with an enema .... this has been cause of lizards dying .

Last edited:

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom