Not sure if ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
If you could get them done all at once it would be better to have 1 stress than them all spread out.
Hes a cutiepie!!

Pleaides

Juvie Member
alleycat63":cd92e said:
Thanks!! I have special ordered the bulb and shoulb be here in a week, Is she ok without the UVB bulb for 1 week?

hello, i cannot answer this for you, im not sure, but its got to be better than the old bulb.

What types of substrate do you guys recommend? What about astroturf, or carpet? What kind of tile would work best? Only ever heard of using sand.

my personal recommendation would be ceramic textured tile, textured because they cant slip on it then and you dont need to worry about filing their talons down it does it naturally and the ceramic holds the tile nice and warm for them. i do put little blankies down in their hides though so when they want to nap it gives them some comfort, :) . you can also use just paper towels, repticarpet, but none that has little loops on it as their talons can get caught and be ripped out, erm i would not use astroturf, not quite sure what it is but it doesnt sound good.

Should I make these changes gradually to decreases stress or just do it all at once?

may be best to do it all at once, as if you do it gradually then he will go through some stress over a longer period of time.
hope this helps

anny

alleycat63

Original Poster
Thought I would give an update.......... Thais eyes seem to be better since switching the bulbs, and I have switched her into the baby food. She's still having trouble pooing, and is still sleeping all the time, unless I take her out.

When she is out, shes active, but always sits with her eyes closed. I don't know what else to do, so I'm takin her into the vet.

Thanks agian for all your input and sugestions, and I'll let you guys know what the end result from the vet is.

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh i wondered where you got to. lol
ok yes id then say a vet visit is in order now, great shes doing a tad better with the bulbs but if those didnt make her pick up with the correct lighting, heating, food, supplememts, etc then i would have thought something else to be going on.
so yep please let us know what happens at the vets then.
good luck!

chancellor91

Juvie Member
yes she will be fine without the UVB for a week, probably better, it will let her eyes heal up, and you should start seeing some improvement

keep us updated

chancellor

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
chancellor91":f23a3 said:
yes she will be fine without the UVB for a week, probably better, it will let her eyes heal up, and you should start seeing some improvement

keep us updated

chancellor

Second this. Beardies with eye issues due to UVB, are BEST OFF with NO UVB for a few days, to allow the eyes to heal before installing the new bulb, so having to wait for the ReptiSun 10.0 tube is actually a good thing in this case. Just keep the heat lamp going for now. :)

Please do keep us posted on how your beardie is doing.

The best,
Em

alleycat63

Original Poster
Thai and I were doing some more reSearch last night, She is doing Much Much better. I was reading up on burmation (never heard of it before). She seems to fit this perfectly. I put a hide in her tank, and to my surprise, when I came home tonight she had gone into it and burrowed into it LOL.

When I opened the tank to give her a tub (bath) she opened up her eyes, tilted her head and looked at me as if to say "Thank-you" I love this. Thai has not been this alert in a very long time :p so it was nice to see her reacting to mommy being home, and actually acknowledging my presence. She promptly checked out was I was doing, raised her head to me, then close her eyes and back to sleep.

Once I put her in the tub, she woke up (agian a 1st in a long time, usually sleeps through them) supported herself (usually I have to hold her) and was lookin around and then planned her escape Ha Ha AH ha. I dried her off, placed her back in the tank, and off to the corner she went.

Had a few friends over tonight and they commented on her colour getting better and her being more alert. I feel I should atribute this new "back to normal behaviour" to switching the bulb to a REPTI Sun as well as tryin the many suggestions, so again many thanks from Thai and I. I think in light of all of the changes, I'm going hold off and just wait on the vet visit. Whatever has been going on with her, seems to be makin a turn for the better.

She hasent pooed much, but then again dosen't have very much in her to poo LOL, I will try next week easin her into her regular diet agian.

Let you all know how it works out,

Alison :D

Jthai2-1.jpg

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Indeed, when we switched out our old compact bulb for a ReptiSun tube, we saw a difference within HOURS. What a relief!

Thai looks rather young to me, but I can't find an age here on the thread. Brumation is really only an issue for adult beardies, although sometimes it can happen with older juvies. We thought the same thing btw, when our beardie was reacting to her old/bad UVB lamp only to find out that in the early stages of MBD, the symptoms mirror that of brumation, but it's not the same thing, not at all. Eating less and sleeping more in a young beardie is almost ALWAYS husbandry issues.

Glad Thai is feeling and looking better. Hope to hear she's eating like there's no tomorrow, VERY soon. :mrgreen:

The best,
Em

alleycat63

Original Poster
Thai is gonna be 3 years old in July :) She is kinda tiny for her age, but her regular vet has said her development is great, and that she may have been the "runt" is that possiable with reptiles??? :? I think that was thier way of makin me feel better cause she's not "BIG" like I was expecting LOL

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
alleycat63":bf75c said:
Thai is gonna be 3 years old in July :) She is kinda tiny for her age, but her regular vet has said her development is great, and that she may have been the "runt" is that possiable with reptiles??? :? I think that was thier way of makin me feel better cause she's not "BIG" like I was expecting LOL

Gotcha... and yes, runts happen with reptiles as well, so I don't think they were just trying to make you feel better. It happens! :mrgreen: That said, I think it really can just depend on the beardie, as some runts have been known to grow rather large.

In any case, she's lovely, and I'm so glad she's feeling better. Oh, they do love to worry us, don't they? I think the ReptiSun tube will certainly serve her well. Our beardie (also micro) is on the mend from having a bad UVB early on. She is off and growing now (rather stunningly at present, she is now in a larger enclosure under a MVB), but it's difficult to say how she will be effected in the long term, having been under that compact light. But she is finally thriving again, so even if she's stays micro (she is 8 3/4 inches at 6-7 months), we're most happy for her health. :)

The best,
Em

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh im so so glad to hear Thai is doing so much better!
she sure is a stunner!!!
good luck with her and i hope she continues to improve now.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom