Not sure if ........

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I took my beardie to the vet last month. The problem I was having is that when she's in her tank she NEVER moves. Her eyes crust over and all she seems to want to do is sleep or keep her eyes closed. It's also become very rare to see her poo.

When she is out of the tank, she is herself, moving looking around and eating.

The vet looked at her eyes and they're fine, no infection. She was very alert and friendly while there. He gave her 3 eniema's (sp) and she pooed many times. He was a little concerned with the "lump" in her belly and suggested that if she dosen't poo within a week to bring her back. She pooed and a thought all was well.

Now a month later, she is still acting the same way. I'm not sure whats going on, and I'm not 100% confident her vet does either. So I feel I should ask the experts.

Any suggestions??????????

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Alleycat,

A few questions so that I know what we're working with ok?

First of all, what sort of lighting do you have for your tank? Are you using UVB light? If so, what brand and what style? (Please be specific - coil? Tube? Compact?)

Do you know what the temps are in your tank? Does he have a basking spot? What is the temperature at the basking spot? What is the temperature in the cool side? If you are measuring temps, what are you using? Stick on thermometer? Digital thermometer with probe? Heat gun?

Also, what sort of substrate or flooring is in your tank?

What are you feeding him? Also please be specific.

Let us know, and we'll do the best we can to help!

alleycat63

Original Poster
Thanks for the response, Thai and I appreciate it!

I have a UVBExo Terrs Repti Gli 10.0 20w tube across the tank, and a Exo Terra Sun Glo heat blub.

Thai's basking spot is approx 100 110 and I read it with a digital thermometer. Not 100% what the cool side is but that is where she spends most her her time, underneath the plants.

The humidty levels are approx 35 - 40

She has reg sand in her tank with the calcium sand mixed in.

I feed her carrots, collard greens, green / red peppers, and freeze dried crickets. I try to give her as much live bugs as possiable to avoid the freeze dried stuff. It seems IMPOSSIABLE to get her to eat and when she does, she has a few bites, and then closes her eyes (almost like sayin leave me alone now)

I have been giving her warm baths, but it dosen't seem to help to get her to poop, although she did tonight.

Thai hasen't been sexed 100% so I'm not even sure if she's a she ( but from what I've read its a girl)She'll be 3 in July

Hope this helps

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
How old is your bulb? The UVB bulb you are using isn't the greatest bulb, and it has been linked to eye problems. Can you get a Repti SUN 10.0 bulb? Or a Mercury Vapor Bulb (if your tank is large enough). The ReptiSUN bulb is the only linear UVB source that can be trusted.
I am very concerned that it is the bulb. Check out the bulbs at petmountain.com. They are the cheapest around (and maybe you can get a local store to price match it!)

alleycat63

Original Poster
I just replaced the bulbs in Feb 09 so there are farley new, but now that you mention it, I had a hard time finding the UVB bulb. That great to know about the eyes, so I will def look into makin the switch soon, I'll check out that site.

Thanks

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Hi again,

Ok, here's some advice for you I hope it's ok? LOL

I would turn off the Repti-Glo immediately, and not turn it on again. Please replace it as soon as you can for a Repti-SUN bulb 10.0. The Repti-Glo is known to cause serious health issues with the beardies.

Also, please remove the sand from the tank. They can easily become impacted because when eating, they ingest it as well, or because they "taste test" everything around them. It's best to put them on Tile, Non adhesive shelf liner or even paper towels or newspaper for now until you can get something else.

I dont remember if you said he's poo'd recently? If not, please increase his baths and leave him in for 20 minutes or so at a time in warm but not hot water. Also, to help him get some food into him, and also to help him poo, you can give him some butternut squash babyfood, some turkey or chicken babyfood, and some unsweetened applesauce.

They dont normally drink from standing water, but will drink from their baths. Even if they dont drink from their baths, they can take in water through their vent.

Please also try to find out asap what the temp is in the cool side of the viv.

HUGS

Sandi

alleycat63

Original Poster
You guys are great!!!

I'm def gonna pick up a new bulb!! I will try the baby food to get her to poo. I actually hand feed her outside of the tank. I hand fed her when she was a babe, and now that she's a big girl, she wont eat by herself. If i do feed her in the tank I put it in a plactic container, to try an avoid the ingestion of sand.

I'll keep you guys posted, I would love to show you a pic, but have no idea how to upload them

Thanks again :lol:

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Thanks! :D :oops:

I do recommend that you do get rid of the calci-sand regardless, as it's very bad for them.

Also, if you want to open a free account with Photobucket.com, you can upload your pictures there, and then post the link here. That's really the easiest way to do it.

Please keep us updated on how she's doing!

HUGS!

Sandi

alleycat63

Original Poster
Ok well that took me a while but here's a few pics of Thai. Also a pic of Thai and my cat, Her buddy Harley :D I think they may be big, but I'll make them smaller next time

Thanks for the <3

Jthai1-1.jpg

Jthai2-1.jpg

Jthai5.jpg

Camera244.jpg

alleycat63

Original Poster
When I have Thai out, Harley loves to be around her. The 2 of them play with the lazer pointer and Harelys toy balls together. Its really cute. People have a hard time beliving that they like each other. Occaisonally Harley gets excited and plays with Thais tail, but Thai is very tolerant and just loves the fact that Shes getting attention. Thai is very socaible and loves being fawned over by anyone :-D LOL

Pleaides

Juvie Member
hey your beardie is adorable!

i agree with everyone else here, sand is a no no, even in adult beardies, i hate the stuff but you will find many different opinions on this.
with the reptiSUN 10.0 you should definitely see a difference in her eyes especially and she should become more active.
i made the same mistake when i got my first beardie at 4 months old, got the reptiglo but i soon found this site though and replaced it immediately and didnt have any problems, hes now a thriving 14 month old.
along with the baths and babyfood you may want to try unsweetened apple sauce as this can act like a mild laxative for them, also try dripping just a couple of drops on his geens (if he eats them) or even on his nose and see if he will lick it off.

hope things turn out good for you.
good luck and keep us posted!

anny

alleycat63

Original Poster
Thanks!! I have special ordered the bulb and shoulb be here in a week, Is she ok without the UVB bulb for 1 week?

What types of substrate do you guys recommend? What about astroturf, or carpet? What kind of tile would work best? Only ever heard of using sand.

Should I make these changes gradually to decreases stress or just do it all at once?

Let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom