not eating well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menolly

Juvie Member
What kind of thermometer are you using? I see in the picture that there are the stick on ones. Is that the only kind you use or do you have a probe or something like that?

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a zoomed probe. My husband rigged the UVB so it is directly overhead but still inside the tank. Measuring temps now...already at 111 degrees F. Husband doesn't want light outside of cage. May switch from halogen to regular bulb....argh...here's what it look like now.
setup2.jpg

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
update...took one stone off....now around 105 degrees...UVB about 9 inches away. I think this is gonna have to do for now. Can build something else later that would allow her to get closer to UVB. Or I can drop the wattage on the bask light and put another stone back on top to increase the height, putting her within 6 inches of the UVB. I feel like everyone else does this so easily and I just can't seem to get it right :banghead:

Menolly

Juvie Member
No we don't. Trust me...The ones that usually answer have been around for awhile and you missed those posts where we were right here. Trying to get it all right. Trust me...I felt so stupid half of the time because I felt this or that should have been obvious. But you know what? This stuff is hard. Bearded dragons are wonderful high maintenance pets. No one at first gave you the right information at first probably. But here you are, on this website looking for ways to make sure that your beardie has the best life possible. Kudos to you for taking the initiative. It's hard at first, we've all been there. Virtual hug! Thank you for coming on here and be willing to learn what it takes to properly take care of your dragon. Just an idea though, maybe you could use like an old shoe box or something as a base cause it almost looks like the stones are different sizes. You could cover it will an old cloth or something for now. Maybe it could give you a different height variable. Just a thought. Again don't be to hard on yourself. It took me a month to figure out everything to where I could get everything just right. Now he's messed me up because he decided that he wanted to all of a sudden become an escape artist...let me tell you...mommy is NOT pleased...not pleased at all...I had everything just right, now I have to figure out how to manuver everything so he can't escape...battle of wits begins...

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Moved the UVB source overhead inside the cage. He is 8 inches away...trying to figure out how to get her closer to it. Getting small crix today. Also called vet and going to do a fecal for $20, not too bad I guess. I'll update when I know results. I suspect worms, but we'll see. Thank you everyone for all your help. You are terrific people.

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just got back from the vet. She is riddled with parasites and "coxy....blah blah" didn't catch the whole name. Gave two meds. One is given one time only. The other is given once for 5 days. Was told to clean out cage very well. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated. My poor baby girl. I can't wait for her to get better so I can see her true personality! Thanks to all for the help and support. Hopefully I'm on the right track now

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

GREAT that looks much better now, the light right over head. It will get to her much better now. The temps at 105 are good too. So the UVB is 9 inches away? That will be ok.
Sorry to hear that she has worms & coccidia. Which medication did the vet give you & what are the doses?
Do you have any probiotics to use while he is on the meds?
Also, keep him hydrated while she is on the meds too that will really help her out alot.
Let us know how she is doing.
Clean all wood items by soaking them in hot water & then bake them in the oven at 250 or so for around 30-40 minutes. Use paper towels for the substrate for easier cleanup. You can use vinegar & water mix to clean or a very diluted bleach solution but, be very careful with that if you use that & rinse it very well to make sure there is no residue left.
Or you can get some novalsan which is non toxic & works very well also.

Tracie

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I baked everything I could and cleaned everything in the cage. I soaked the stuff I couldn't bake in very hot water and a small amount of bleach. THey are airing out right now. She was given one dose of strongid (1cc) and Albon liquid to be given once every day for fice days (1 cc) I do not know what a probiotic is, so I am not giving her that. Her small crix are ready to go when she gets her appitite back! I'm so glad I got some answers today. I just knew something was not right. This forum is so wonderful!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Good you have already cleaned up the tank furniture. As long as you are airing it out things should be fine, no problem.
Well, you can get soy yogurt (non dairy) benebac, nutribac or acidophiliz as the Albon will make her appetite go down some because it disturbs the normal flora of bacteria in the tummy.
So, the strongid was an entire 1 cc? I hope it was diluted. The Albon, is it diluted also? At 1 cc, that is alot of medication. Do you know the concentration of the Albon?
I am happy that you are getting him all fixed up. I hope he feels better soon!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

GREAT, I was a bit worried about the 1cc, as that would be way too much medication. Good, the .1 is probably about right then, & it is a small amount. I am sure they dosed it for her weight also.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The meds are going okay. She gives the most hillarious evil eye after we give them to her, like "How dare you disturb the queen!!" She had 12 crix today and a few bites of mustard greens and spagetti squash. Do you think I still need to give the probiotic if she is eating? She seemed a little more active today ran back and forth many times throughout the day trying to get out of her tank. Good signs I think. She pooped once today. There looked like there may have been a very very small speck of blood, so I am just going to continue to monitor her feces. She'll be getting a bath soon, which she does not like either, but oh well, poor baby doesn't understand!

krystalsboy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Frankie has been on her meds for 3 days now. I was watching her in her cage when all the sudden her eyes started bulging out of her head. I screamed for my husband and turned away cause I didnt want to see her eyes completely pop out. When I turned back around, she was back to normal. Freaky??? ANyone ever seen this? It's been an hour and I am closely monitoring her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, the probiotics are up to you, if she is eating but it does help to replace natural gut flora in her GI tract.
I am sure that she is giving you an evil eye after getting medication, alot of them do that!
I am happy to hear she is active & basking though, as well as eating too.
The eye bulging is quite normal. They do that prior to shedding on the head or the eye area. Here is a video for you to look at:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/eyebulging/

There is nothing to worry about but when you see it for the first time it can freak you out if you are not expecting it! :shock:

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom