No Beardie yet, but I'm hoping! New here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKinOK

Hello everyone!
I figured I would introduce myself and ask a question or two. I have been married to my wonderful highschool sweetheart for 4.5 years and we have a son who is getting ready to turn 2 next month. I have recently had a hard loss. I had a lovely Uromastyx lizard who just couldn't get healthy. She was full of parasites and, even after veterinary treatement, she passed away. It's been a long process and, while I am heartbroken, I am glad that she is not suffering anymore. I made the mistake of not doing my research before I got her. After I had her for a few days, I realized she was sick when I bought her from the petstore and it's been all downhill from there. Long story short, I have decided that when I feel better about her loss, I would like to look into getting a bearded dragon. From what I have read in care sheets so far, they are much more sociable and easier to take care of. My dear Uro was not meant for a beginner. I think I need a beginner's lizard.

I was just wondering where might be appropriate to post a list of questions I have about bearded dragon care. Where should I put it? I want to make sure I ask all my questions and get a lizard knowing exactly what I am looking for and know exactly what I am getting into.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to joining the community. It looks like a very nice and knowledgable group of people! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can feel free to post your questions on this thread right here. If you don't get any responses then you might wanna categorize your questions and ask them in the different sub categories of this website.

Welcome to the site by the way!

-Brandon

OKinOK

Original Poster
Thanks! Okay, here is my list of questions. I know I will have more later, but this is all for now.

-Buy from a breeder or petstore?
-Baby or Adult? Certain species?
-How can you tell if parasites are present? (This is what caused my Uro's death, I want to avoid it happening again.)
-Is a 55 gallon tank big enough? Would it be best for only 1 dragon to live in it?
-Best substrate? Paper towels and newspaper seems so boring, but I know those are probably safest!
-How many crickets a day will a Beardie eat? How often?
-Are other crickets the main staple or should other insects be added in as treats?
-What kind of container will the crickets live in?
-What do the crickets eat?
-How do you "gut load"?
-What kind of "dusting" do the crickets need?
-How do you gut load and dust them?
-Do the crickets need any special lighting or heating?
-Is it really safe to order large amounts of crickets through mail?
-Are the insects in a can safe and acceptable?
-Are Beardies really as sociable as I have been told?
-Do they like to be held a lot? (The Uro is more of an admire-only lizard. I want a lizard who will be able to tolerate being held.)
-With it being winter, would it be wiser to wait till spring time to get a Beardie? I'd hate to disturb it's brumation (is that how it's spelled?) period.

That's all for now. I appreciate any and all advice! Thank you so much!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Me in bold
OKinOK":1hobt2y9 said:
-Buy from a breeder or petstore?Breeder
-Baby or Adult? Certain species?Depends what you want, I personally would choose adult but if you get a baby you can watch it grow.
-How can you tell if parasites are present? (This is what caused my Uro's death, I want to avoid it happening again.)runny poo (like diariha) extremely smelly poo.
-Is a 55 gallon tank big enough? Would it be best for only 1 dragon to live in it?dragon's should be housed seperatly, not together. If your getting a baby I wouldn't start with a 55 but 55 is good for an adult.
-Best substrate? Paper towels and newspaper seems so boring, but I know those are probably safest!No such thing as best, but it is my opinion, and many others on this website, that slate tiles are best.
-How many crickets a day will a Beardie eat? How often? depends on the age, size, and the dragon. You will probably not want crickets anyways. After a month you will hate them and probably want to switch to worms or dubias :p
-Are other crickets the main staple or should other insects be added in as treats?You should always have a variety
-What kind of container will the crickets live in?If your going to use crickets, I'd go with a big rubbermaid bin and buy in bulk.
-What do the crickets eat?potatoes, carrots, vegies, fruits, etc. Lots of other things about this in the feeders section
-How do you "gut load"?you just feed them. Gut loading is just a term used to describe making an insect packed with nutrients for a lizard to eat it
-What kind of "dusting" do the crickets need?the crickets don't need it, the dragon does. It will depend whether you get an adult or a baby.
-How do you gut load and dust them?just feed them. Before you feed crickets to your dragon you sprinkle some of the powder on the crickets your going to be feeding off and you shake it up so they get covered in it.
-Do the crickets need any special lighting or heating?only if your house is cold. But I don't really have much experience with keepking crickets because I have a dubia colony, which you should probably look into instead of crickets.
-Is it really safe to order large amounts of crickets through mail?Yes as long as you are able to take care of them properly.
-Are the insects in a can safe and acceptable?bleh.
-Are Beardies really as sociable as I have been told?they can be tamed to like you and be sociable with you, but beardies are not the kind of lizards who live together, and they should not be housed together either.
-Do they like to be held a lot? (The Uro is more of an admire-only lizard. I want a lizard who will be able to tolerate being held.)yes but you will have to tame it. It won't be naturally comfortable with you.
-With it being winter, would it be wiser to wait till spring time to get a Beardie? I'd hate to disturb it's brumation (is that how it's spelled?) period.it would be less stress on you if you wait tell winters up. But it doesn't really matter.

Spend some time reading around the various categories in this forum. You will learn all you need to know and more.

-Brandon

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your rough experience with the Uro...they are tougher lizards to keep that's for sure and have such a high requirement for UVB it can be tough to provide for them.
Beardies are wonderful pets, and for the most part love to be able to see your and your family and interact with you. However they are more high maintenance than what I would consider a "beginner lizard", but saying that, with some research beforehand they usually aren't hard lizards to keep either.
So to try and answer some questions....

OKinOK":24om1iuh said:
Thanks! Okay, here is my list of questions. I know I will have more later, but this is all for now.

-Buy from a breeder or petstore?
BREEDER! with the caveat that it be a good breeder... there are plenty of "bad breeders" out there who are in it just for the money and you can get shy, unhealthy babies from them. Most petstores get their babies from big production facilitys that are often sold when they are smaller than what is typically recommended (ie smaller than 8 inches) and they often aren't kept in great enviorments either. So I would ask around on here for people in your area and see if there is a breeder that has a good reputation, or barring that you can have one shipped overnight

-Baby or Adult? Certain species?
This part is up to you... babies tend to be a bit more spastic and rambunctious during handling, eat a lot more insects, and need more fine tuning in regards to husbandry. The adults are more laid back, and should eat more salad, and are easier to get comfy with handling. But the babies are a TON of fun to watch grow up and are soooo silly :)

-How can you tell if parasites are present? (This is what caused my Uro's death, I want to avoid it happening again.)
Parasites in beardies (adult or baby) are very common, even if you do get them from a good breeder. A fecal screening from a vet is the only real way to test for this - and you really do need a vet experienced with reptiles as the common parasites in beardies are different from dog/cats. Most parasites are fairly easy to deal with, but some can be harder to manage than others

-Is a 55 gallon tank big enough? Would it be best for only 1 dragon to live in it?
A 55 gallon is big enough for 1 adult. Most people recommend the 40 gallon breeder - more floor space than a 55- because they seem to enjoy being able to run around more and dragons don't tend to care so much about the increased height. But if you don't want to buy a new tank right now, a55 gal isn't a problem. It's also recommended to only have 1 dragon per enclosure. Bearded dragons are solitary in the wild and don't tend to get along well with others in captivity. You can get bite wounds (tail, feet, etc) or just one being dominate for basking position or food. Plus if you end up with a girl and boy then you'll have to deal with all the breeding stuff down the road...It's probably better to start out with just one anyways imo :)

-Best substrate? Paper towels and newspaper seems so boring, but I know those are probably safest!
Paper Towels and newspaper are safe and easy to change/clean. For babies sometimes they are the best choice depending on how messy they are!! But other safe options are Reptile Carpet (similar to astroturf) or using slate tiles. Avoid all the Loose substrates (walnut, corncob, sand, etc) Most of those that are labeled for reptiles are bad news and should be avoided.

-How many crickets a day will a Beardie eat? How often?
This also depends. They shouldn't eat anything bigger than the space between the eyes as babies. So for the young ones you will be feeding tiny crickets (other other insects) and they will go through 25-50 per day on average of the appropriately sized cricket. As they get older that amount will decrease, and they will eat more salad

-Are other crickets the main staple or should other insects be added in as treats?
Crickets aren't a bad feeder. Other options are phoenix worms (aka reptiworms) - these are high in calcium and are small), dubia roachs (if you have an establised breeding colony you can feed the small ones to a baby - these are high in calcium and very nutritious as well), small silkworms or hornworms - soft slow moving worms that are also very nutritious. Mealworms should be avoided as they are harder to digest, higher in fat, and not that nutritious. Superworms are not good for babies, but can be fed to older juvies or adults. Waxworms make a great treat.

-What kind of container will the crickets live in?
If you order a bunch online a rubbermaid type container works best, otherwise for smaller amount a critter catcher type plastic container is fine

-What do the crickets eat?
Most will give them a dry food - commercially prepared gut load, or corn scratch/meal, bran meal, etc- + something for water - usually leftover veggies from your fridge work great and provide more nutrition to them (lettuce/greens, potato's, oranges, other veggies, etc etc). You can buy "gel cubes" for water, but I don't like them. They get messy, you have to ensure your dragon doesn't eat any of the cube, and I didn't think my crickets did as well when I did that. Other people love the stuff...

-How do you "gut load"?
Gut load just means feeding your insects good nutrition, so that they are as nutritious as you can get them to feed to your lizard

-What kind of "dusting" do the crickets need?
Crickets are high in phosphorus and so need to be dusted with Calcium regularly to help balance the Calcium: phosphorus ratio out. They would also be dusted 1-2 times weekly with a multi-vitamin supplement.
-How do you gut load and dust them?
You can buy a fancy cup that is made for dusting them that keeps the powder in a bottom resevoir and then you shake it with the crickets and they get covered in the calcium dust... I just use an old plastic cup and swirl them around with some of the calcium powder and then just shake them into the tank.

-Do the crickets need any special lighting or heating?
Crickets do not. some of the other feeders, esp the dubia roaches do though. Check out the feeder sections for recc'ds on the different type of insects

-Is it really safe to order large amounts of crickets through mail?
yes, I regularly order 1000 crickets online and they do pretty well. You'll have some that die off over time, but it's usually not a big deal and will save you a lot of money compared to buying with petstores. A lot of the other feeders are hard to find in petstores and you have to buy online.

-Are the insects in a can safe and acceptable?
I"m not a fan. some dragons won't eat them period because they won't move. But I don't think the nutrition is as good and they aren't as natural.

-Are Beardies really as sociable as I have been told?
Yes :) Most beardies are docile and love to be out and handled. Many will snuggle in and sleep with you or spend hours on your shoulder just hanging out. They tend to love to explore around your house and seem to be happier when their tank is somewhere close by to where the family spends their time so they can watch.

-Do they like to be held a lot? (The Uro is more of an admire-only lizard. I want a lizard who will be able to tolerate being held.)
Most do really enjoy being out of their tank and hanging out with you or on you. The babies are more inclined to want to run around and be crazy babies, and aren't interested in "snuggling in" unless they've tuckered themselves out frolicking around or it's almost bedtime. The adults are more laid back (lazy? :) ) and are more accepting of handling and snuggling whenever.

-With it being winter, would it be wiser to wait till spring time to get a Beardie? I'd hate to disturb it's brumation (is that how it's spelled?) period.
Usually during the first year of life beardies don't go through brumation. So if you got a younger one now that wouldnt' be a concern. Unless it's a rescue, I wouldn't get a currently brumating beardie. They will be really sleepy and it will be hard for you to tell if they are doing ok, etc. But you can find babies or younger juvies right now.

The other main question you didn't ask , but is really important. is regarding lighting and UVB. Beardies have a requirement for UVB (critical for utilization of Calcium) and getting the right type of bulb is critical. Most (including me) recc'd using the Reptisun 10.0 long flurorescent tubes. Many of the other brands don't produce enough UVB despites claims on the boxes. Mercury Vapor bulbs produce a lot of UVB, but there is some controversy with them still and you can have some issues.

Welcome to the forum and don't feel bad about asking questions !! Beardies are wonderful !! Check out some of threads on here and read up... you'll learn a lot about all the different personality's and the common issues that people deal with.
Carrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom