New, Safer Viv Layout (pic heavy!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirenique

Hatchling Member
When I bought my beardie, I overbought at every recommendation of the very, ahem, special associates of Petsmart. Within an hour of owning Bones, I'd already read through 128 pages of dragon care. I thought there was no way I could screw things up. The one thing that I've come to adhere to is that loose sand is not an acceptable substrate, as many forum members will tell you, and hopefully those who firmly believe in this will be happy that they have converted another owner to their side. I realize how lucky I am to have not dealt with impaction issues, because for the first four months of owning my beardie, his substrate was loose calcium sand and only that. After seeing so many owners and beardies dealing with the trauma of impaction, I upgraded my viv to accommodate my 16" dragon and the mannerisms that I've noticed over the last four months. Just because he hasn't had impaction so far doesn't mean it can't happen, right? So what's the harm in making some positive viv changes! =D

viv1.jpg

An overall shot of the new layout, the warm side on the left and the cool side on the right.

viv2.jpg

The hide under the stacked driftwood of the left side. I've noticed when we cuddled on my bed, he loved to dig under pillows and make pillow forts. I plan on placing some cozy blankets in his hide so he can recreate this at night :) Plus since the hide is on the warm side of his cage, it will be warm as he drifts off to sleep, which he loves.

viv5.jpg

Half of the viv is now covered in red slate, with sand packed tightly in between. With the new layout, all of his most frequently trafficked areas, including 90% of his viv, is now covered with some sort of substrate that is not loose sand.

viv3.jpg

The other part of his viv is covered with sandstone steps that climb up part of his driftwood. I noticed in his old viv, he would climb round and round on his old fake tree perch, and he was just getting to big for it. Now he has more natural climbing surface that is wide enough to fit him so he's not performing a balancing act just to bask. He's big into climbing on things when he's out of his viv, so I'm trying to give him more things to do while in his viv. I'm totally nerdily into decorating negative space in the viv with fancy stones/rocks :p

viv4.jpg

Sandstone steps go all the way into the cool part of his cage, where the base of his fake tree perch is. I figured he should have a perch on both hot and cold sides of the viv to suit his mood. Like I said, he loveesssss to climb and jump!! Again, overdecorated with fancy rocks. There is a small area of loose sand where the sandstone ends. I'm not concerned about it, and wanted to keep a very small patch of loose sand because believe it or not, he plays in his sand sometimes like a kid in a sandbox. He likes to hide the stones in the sand and dig them out later. It's so bizarre, it's almost like he's playing delayed hide-and-go-seek for the stones with me. I also figured having the small patch in front of his food dish would make it very easy to clean up the mess he makes when eating his greens :roll:

viv6.jpg

The cool side of his cage houses his food and water, as I figured they'd naturally fare the best at cooler temps. I'm also somehow hoping that he'll decide to poop on this side of the cage so it's easier for me to clean up. I would rather wash his water and food dish every single day than scrape poo off of driftwood. Bones says hello =D

viv7.jpg

Bones doing what he does best -- exploring!

Again, thanks to the members who helped me change my mind on the substrate matter. My only other concern is his big piece of driftwood (the piece he basks on the most) seems to have a few natural stray flyaway fibers. I saw Bones trying to munch on them earlier and so I tried to trim all the frayed fibers down so that he wouldn't bite at them. Anything else you can recommend? =D

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Maybe right under his hot side perch you could get a reptile hammock, where he can climb from the perch and have a lazy day on the hammock. :D

Unknownhope

Hatchling Member
Agreed. BOTH of my beardie LOVE to lay in their hammocks, whether to go to sleep in or just lay in next to the basking spot for some comfort and warmth. I put a washcloth in the hammock for my baby and he could lay there all day if he could. He even likes me to feed him Reptiworms on it instead of elsewhere in the cage. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom