New Rescue

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Not all people have the same advice and it is what it is sadly, sometimes they can give you the wrong info and make your beardie sick

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
I still have hope that he can get better. Each celebration matters and we are with you all the way❤️❤️:D:D

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
The pet stores neglect them as well. Before purchasing mines they tried to talk me and my husband into getting a leopard gecko. My whole husband only wanted a bearded dragon. However they pushed it because she stated they were much easier to take care of beardie a required a lot more care. She also stated they are only allowed to sell one is if you buy a 40gallon tank. Which after learning about beardies the should be by themselves and they should be at a certain temp/humidity. Yet you go in there and it’s 3-4 in them in what looks like a space no bigger than a 5-10g tank. Instead of pushing you to buy a 40g tank when they’re a baby. There are so much that they should be telling a new owner like upkeep, lighting, temps, humidity, food cost, signs of sickness, and so much more

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
When we went to get a leopard gecko, first, we stopped at pet smart and she talked us out of everything saying "they are super fast like they will disappear in Narnia" my dad was like Narnia? The next day, we went to Petco and this guy helped us on facts about leopard geckos but when we saw baby bearded dragons, one was looking at us on a log looking very cute but my mom said that we're not buying a beardie we came for a leopard gecko. But when we heard that they're nocturnal, my dad said a beardie would be better. Then the guy said when they're babies, they can run faster than adults. He asked which one we wanted, and our answer was the one on a log. His response was that one was the most healthiest cuz he was running around this morning. When we got home with Hazel, she kinda looked bad but really bad but kinda bad. it took her almost a month ago and for her to look so much better.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Well thanks to Petsmart we ended up being Rango online the day. My husband jokes and says instead of them trying to make you buy a 40g tank that you should ask to see your w2s to make sure you can afford one.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I dropped a substantial portion of my paycheck on Charlie… before I even picked him up. 😱
Little buggers are expensive!

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Yes they are. Not only themselves that are expensive, but their supplies and tank depending what size it is

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
First off… look at these gorgeous colors! He’s going to be a handsome little guy once he’s feeling better and stops turning black on me!
Secondly, he gave me a heart attack just about. I went to feed him and noticed black on his lips and he has a black tipped tongue that the vet wasn’t concerned about but this was new and everything from bruising to necrosis ran through my head.
Y’all, it’s old, dried, green bean baby food. 😩
He’s fine.
He has lost weight and is back down to 93g due to the baytril messing with him and giving him diarrhea. ☹️ We’re supplementing with pedialite. I’m hoping that weight spikes back up once he’s off antibiotics.

Attachments

• 2C61B21C-88C7-4B77-B217-BB4CE665CE63.jpeg
    2C61B21C-88C7-4B77-B217-BB4CE665CE63.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 444B284B-5A7F-4130-B837-107C9572A570.jpeg
    444B284B-5A7F-4130-B837-107C9572A570.jpeg
    185.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 1CAE56EB-9B83-4D69-9A40-4A973A79ECEA.jpeg
    1CAE56EB-9B83-4D69-9A40-4A973A79ECEA.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 119

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
You can try some nondairy soy yogurt or a probiotic to help reintroduce some of the good bacteria back into his gut. Might help with his appetite and help keep him from losing too much weight while he's on the Baytril. Poor guy. It's good that he has you taking care of him now.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
THIS YOGURT from Kroger looks like it would be a good fit... I can pick some of this up on the way home. Thanks for that tip! I hadn't even thought of getting probiotics into him, I've been so pre-occupied with making sure he's hydrated enough and getting nutrition in general. He barely eats 2mL a feeding, and that's veg baby food (current favorite seems to be butternut squash) mixed with pedialyte, Repti-Care, calcium and a multi vitamin.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry it's been a few days since an update. The last few days have been 'hanging by a thread of sanity' type days! :ROFLMAO:🤪😭 This morning's latest adventure was the CO2 monitor going off at like 5am or some other unholy hour of the morning, well before I was expecting to be up. Got everyone evacuated, called the fire department and all that jazz just to find out it was a faulty monitor. No Co2 detected in the house. 😑
I was finally able to get a fecal sample over to the vet on ... Monday? I don't even know any more what day it is.
I suspected he would have something going on, and turns out he has coccidia and giardia. He's now on two new antibiotics (no more Baytril). Poor guy is just going through it, but we're going to get him all squared away.
His personality is starting to come out, and I think he's developing food preferences. He doesn't seem to care for blueberry, which was mixed in with one of the kale baby foods I got (blueberry, kale and banana). He does really like butternut squash though.
He's getting more active, but still not eating more than 1-2mL at a time. I think once the new antibiotics do their thing that will improve. I can't seem to get him over 100g, and he fluctuates between 90g and 100g pretty wildly.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He pushed himself up all by himself tonight after he got rinsed off. We started the transition from the dropper to a spoon and it got a little messy, lol. He was a little lethargic yesterday but he’s pretty spry today. I had a hard time keeping hold of him!

Attachments

• D41CE06F-BFD7-4108-ABC6-D271A0F7F5E1.jpeg
    D41CE06F-BFD7-4108-ABC6-D271A0F7F5E1.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 105

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom