New Rescue

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We just finished a whole 2mL of baby food mixed with repti care! Yay!
I gave him a quick soak and he’s really wanting to drink a LOT of water and I’m a little concerned by that. Can that be a sign of organ failure?
Do I let him drink his total fill or only let him have so much?
That is a question for Tracie - I am not sure but let him drink till he's done

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Yay! He is looking good. I can see he's getting better already. There's a lot more things to do but he's doing great. I can tell he wants a second chance in life

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
My beardie drinks a lot of water. But she won't drink it if I'm looking so I have to kinda peek while she's drinking. That goes the same with her moist pellets (I broke them in halves so that way it won't be too big)

SPandS

Juvie Member
I would actually be worried he might aspirate and would only let him drink a little at a time. Especially if he is lowering his head into the water to drink.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I would actually be worried he might aspirate and would only let him drink a little at a time. Especially if he is lowering his head into the water to drink.
I have been holding him up so that his nose doesn’t go fully into the water, but aspiration is also a concern of mine. :(

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Charlie lost one gram of weight between his post feeding weigh last night and his pre feeding weigh tonight, but sucked down enough slurry to achieve a grand weight of 93g tonight! He’s eating more eagerly.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
That's a great sign that he's eagerly eating. I can definitely tell he's trying so hard to stay alive.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We have a poop! I don’t think I knew how much I was holding my breath on this one until it happened, lol. I guess I was really concerned his digestive system might be compromised, but he had a great poop and urate just now! He’s eaten twice so far today and one more to go. Post poop weight is holding steady at 93g.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Charlie’s vet appointment was today. He’s holding steady at 93g. He has an infection in his mouth that was partially sealing his mouth shut, and they cleaned all that up and gave me antibiotics for it. We also did a calcium and B injection and sub-q fluids, which absorbed really fast.
The vet said he was still pretty dehydrated but not to let him drink his fill just yet, as he wasn’t well enough to drink that much. I’m to give him 5mL water a day spread out for now. She actually said give him pedialite but the store was out. :(
Other than that, he has some pain meds for a bit. She is not convinced his bones are back solid at all yet but wants to hold off on blood work and bone density X-rays until we get him out of the woods and know he’s going to pull through.
I have never given anything a shot before and the calcium shots seem a little scary but I’ll figure it out. She showed me what to do and how to do it.
He’s now getting specifically 2mL baby food mixed with 1mL water, two scoops of repti-care, half a scoop of calcium and a sprinkle of multi vitamin all mixed up twice a day. I made it all up into tiny ice cubes that I’ll thaw and warm as needed.
The vet said he was feisty and was cautiously optimistic about his recovery.
I’ll take it!

Attachments

• 5773DD3C-C503-4020-9297-22B4481E38CF.jpeg
    5773DD3C-C503-4020-9297-22B4481E38CF.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Poor thing. He looks severely neglected when you rescued him. Pet stores should have a policy that restricts sales of bearded dragons for those who are uneducated on how to take care of them. Pet stores should have a release paper that states the purchaser is responsible for the dragon. It upsets me to see a dragon in that bad shape. Looks like a zombie no offense. I dont have a bearded dragon but I have compassion for them. They are real life versions of fantasy dragons but a smaller scale and dont breathe fire.

Last edited:

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Poor thing. He looks severely neglected when you rescued him. Pet stores should have a policy that restricts sales of bearded dragons for those who are uneducated on how to take care of them. Pet stores should have a release paper that states the purcheser is responsible for the dragon. It upsets me to see a dragon in that bad shape. Looks like a zombie no offense. I dont have a bearded dragon but I have compassion for them. They are real life versions of fantasy dragons but a smaller scale and dont breathe fire.
OR.... pet stores should be required to give out proper information on caring for the animals they sell. they should also be required to sell the correct equipment needed by the animals they sell. a lot of the people needing help on here are following the advice given by pet stores while using the wrong equipment they were sold. don't blindly blame the purchaser.

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think the responsibility of neglect should equally be shared between the breeder, pet store and consumer.
I believe that as an owner, I am responsible for educating myself on the animals I choose to acquire, regardless of the information the pet store supplies or the husbandry of the breeder.
I wish pet stores, breeders and other consumers believed the same, but all I can do is learn as much as possible, share my knowledge and educate as many people as will listen.
Being angry with any of these will not help Charlie. It is angering to see him in this state, yes, and sad and so many other emotions, but I can’t change his past. I have to focus 100% on his future.
Changing the mentality of this breeder/store/owner issue is another battle entirely. To be tackled later.
Right now I want to see his hope and progress and celebrate each milestone. 🧡☺️

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom