New kid on the block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

After a huge incident involving my fish tank ( read here http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31349 if you would like ) my landlord and my wife will not let me keep any more fish. My Fish keeping hobby is on hold till we buy a house :(

I got interested in BD since I always wanted a reptile and BD look great. I have not buy one yet, I'm researching just to be sure if I can care for one or two. I have couple questions, probably you get them a lot.

1. I have a 125gal aquarium, will it be OK for 2-3 ( 2F and 1M )
2. Is sand really a bad idea ? I got tons of sand from my aquarium setup, maybe I can use it?
3. Any biggest mistake that you gays read ( link or comment )

Thank you so much in advance

brittani299

Extreme Poster
Hello :). I have daisy in a 75 gallon tank. You really shouldn't house beadies together. Maybe two females but 2 females and a male could end up bad. Don't use sand at all. It can cause impaction and a host of other problems. Good alteratives are tile, reptile carpet, or paper towles. And I have made my share of mistakes I will post some of them.

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
As brittani299 mentioned, housing multiple beardies in the same enclosure is a walking time bomb. This post should help you with your decision. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

1. As I've said, multiple beardies = big no-no. With that said, a 125 gallon is probably more than enough for a Beardie.
2. Sand as a substrate I personally wouldn't suggest. If you can access slate/ceramic tile or maybe shelf liner, that would work. However, if your beardie's a digger, you could probably make a little sandbox for him with that size of tank.
3. My biggest mistake.....hmm.....Probably having Terra outside without a harness. She saw one of the cats, got stressed, and made a MAD DASH out of there. If I didn't have someone with me, she would've never been found. Eventually, we found her hiding in grass and leaves, just feet from a large tree. Since then, I've gotten a harness and have had no problems with her outside.

PolishPuff

Original Poster
Thank you so much,

So one BD will be fine then. THX for all that info you two :-D

Tile is a great idea. Will glazed ceramic tile do?

With all that room for one BD I could build lots of hiding spots, sand box, swimming pool or they really dont swim and some kind of driftwood. Am i missing something?

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
Glazed tile will be too slippery, you want something with a little grit to it, it makes it easier for your Beardie to move around n it and it also keeps his nails trimmed. Do not put a pool in there, adding water to a Beardie's enclosure is not a good idea as it raises the humidity level, which is not good at all for Beardies.
As sais, this would be a great setup for 1 Beardie, do not house multiples together unless you add a divider, it has to be a solid material so they cannot see each other, but just the 1 Beardie per enclosure is greatly recommended.

PolishPuff

Original Poster
Sorry it took me so long to reply.

After reading more and more, it looks like I will be fine too keep one BD. :D

This my 125 gal aquarium.

I will raise the bottom using some styrofoam and placing non-glazed tile on top.
Driftwood will be added and some rocks that are leftover from my fish setup.

I really need your help with lighting. Which one to get and what kind. Also where would be a ideal place to place them.

My tank size is 6ft. long 18inch wide and 22inch tall

THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom