New dragon owner, noticed a few things in health & care sect

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
O-ok, I'm going to try and respond to both of you guys at once, ok?

"Give this list a look - it has a TON of great foods!" - JessPets

OH MY GOSH! Thanks for list! A question though. The place I am working at right now, feeds alfalfa as a supplement for some of there animals. When it said, alfalfa sprouts, but not the leaves. Did it mean just use the stalks? Also, was very happy to see cactus pads. I know where I can go grab a pesticide-free pad for cheap!

"Try a CHE. Generally speaking, this is probably the only good nighy-heat source." - JessPets

I've seen a lot of people herenraving about CHE. It's on my list to get, I think she will be fine until the weather starts to cool down. For now it's mostly for emergencies, so she can stay warm after rainstorms.

"Heat rock, is fine if not turned on." - Kingofnobby

:O Really? :3 good to know

"You also mentioned pellets - these are junk, no need for them" - JessPets
"Those lizard/beardie pellets (if the dry type) are great roach and cricket food." - Kingofnobby

She is eatting her pellets but no veggies at the moment. So I'm going to stick with them for now, but once she starts eatting her veggies I'll switch over to salads. Then thanks to Kingofnobbys' idea to use it as feeder insect food.

Dubai roach are Amazing!!!... there are lots and lots of great online sources to get your dubias" - Jess Pets

Glad to hear even more great things about it! Any sources you would recommend?

You both mentioned silkworms, sadly I don't have any mullberry trees available nearby. Are they expensive to just buy? Oh, do you guys know if hornworms are as easy to care for? Or what they eat?

"How heavy is she? I suggest getting into a routine with weekly weighins to keep track of her growth." - Kingofnobby

^^; you both also mentioned how bad mealworms are. I plan on getting different kind of feeder, soon as my next paycheck comes in (person who signs them is out sick.) Until then, I have no choice, if I want to keep feeding her bugs. Thankfully I have gotten to where I check for new bowel motions on a near daily basis. Just to make sure everything is ok, I also gave the mealworms a bunch of lettuce and a few carrots. They ate both right up, will that help make them a little bit healthier? Just a little? Until I have money for new bugs?

I will try to find a small food scale. That should hopefully be able to keep track of her weight.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I've tried a lot of different sources for roaches. WestCoastRoaches is what I'm currently using, very reasonably priced and great quality. I've also done Randy'sRoaches, DubiDeli, and some eBay stores. All good, WestCoast has simply been the cheapest.

If you are interested in still doing silkworms but have no trees, you CAN buy some pre-made powdered form stuff, though it can be pricy, you can can raise the worms from eggs fairly easily. They are considered the perfect feeder (besides price lol).

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JessPets":32543rv2 said:
I've tried a lot of different sources for roaches. WestCoastRoaches is what I'm currently using, very reasonably priced and great quality. I've also done Randy'sRoaches, DubiDeli, and some eBay stores. All good, WestCoast has simply been the cheapest.

If you are interested in still doing silkworms but have no trees, you CAN buy some pre-made powdered form stuff, though it can be pricy, you can can raise the worms from eggs fairly easily. They are considered the perfect feeder (besides price lol).

XD Price is what I'm worries about, I don't got alot right now. Even so, I want to spoil her the most I can. Which is why I want something good for her. That I could start breeding as well, so she gets everything she needs, but I won't have to struggle to constantly with making sure she has what she needs.

Also WestcoatRoaches? I'll look into it. Thanks!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
NinaAmbroshia":2h2gz810 said:
JessPets":2h2gz810 said:

XD Price is what I'm worries about, I don't got alot right now. Even so, I want to spoil her the most I can. Which is why I want something good for her. That I could start breeding as well, so she gets everything she needs, but I won't have to struggle to constantly with making sure she has what she needs.

I can get 1k small + free shipping for $30! I buy them through eBay though, so getting them is a hit-or-miss (that's why I have done so many different companies!) Just browse through eBay, and you'll find there are a TON of great cheap options.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JessPets":gv81qgd2 said:
NinaAmbroshia":gv81qgd2 said:
JessPets":gv81qgd2 said:

I can get 1k small + free shipping for $30! I buy them through eBay though, so getting them is a hit-or-miss (that's why I have done so many different companies!) Just browse through eBay, and you'll find there are a TON of great cheap options.

^^ thos is good to know thanks! I just ordered from Westcoastroaches, since they have a guarteened live option. This way i can tell if my beardy even likes them or not. Plus it was 100 small-ish, with a coolimg pad for less than 20 bucks. I don't think thay is too bad?

Zanna

Hatchling Member
The little kink in your babies tail just looks like one of his brothers or sisters nipped it while they were together early on. My girl has the same thing. What you need to watch for is that it doesn't get dark at the end. When your dragon sheds, pay particular attention to this area with a toothbrush, very gentle scrubs to ensure all the shed comes off.

You have a gorgeous baby!

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I haven't had to help her with a shed yet. Normally i see her about to shed and i come back and she is already done. She is having a little trouble with her tail right now though. Sp i was planning on giving her a nice soak tomorrow to help her try to get it off. I'll keep the toothbrush thing in mind though! I wpuldn't want a shed to get stuck and bother her or risk getting her scale rot or something else just as bad or worse.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, now i am starting to worry abiut the kink, part of it is getting darker. I got some stubborn shed off of it yesterday thinking would help, but hadn't so far. Am i going to have to either cut that part off or get it cut off? I know she doesn't have early as much feeling in it as before, because i messed with it yesterday to try and get her to pull her tail away. (What she did last time i messed with the kink,) and her tail barely moved at all.

Also, speaking of sheds, she just shed her tail, like 2 days ago. Howeber both her tail and legs are super pale again. Is this something to be worries about? Or is she for some reason shedding again. Even though she Litterally kust finished shedding one pf those parts?

Zanna

Hatchling Member
I don't think you're at that stage yet, my Lizzys tail was pretty black and soft while I was working on it and it took nearly 2 months before it really started springing back. Keep soaking it. In fact you don't even have to put the whole dragon in, every day, soak it, tooth brush, you may have use your fingers a bit. If it's really tender get your little one to the vet tho, it's not something to mess around with if it's advanced. I'll go back up and look at your last picture or maybe u can post a new one. But: always see yr vet if yr really unsure. Look online for coupons for vets who will waive exam fee for new customers too for simple things. Just a little money saving tip.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is what the kinked looked like when i first saw it
20170708_181955.jpg

And here is what it looks like now
20170718_104312.jpg

And sorry if it seems like my reactions seem a little extreme, i just don't want something to happen to my little girl because i didn't react fast enough. (As seen several animals of several different kinds that has died because of that thing with other people i was trying to hekp out)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
No need to apologize Nina I TOTALLY understand! My little girl has a bad arm ATM and I have a thread up that is equally worry filled.

I agree it looks kinda bad. But u said you removed some old shed yesterday? Can you see any improvement in it?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think it can be saved. However u really SHOULD now get the vet to get a look at it as maybe it needs some different kind of attention. It certainly doesn't look infected to me.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't think it is infected either, i am worried that bit if the tail is dying. I don't want it to die, not come off and then cause infection farther uo her tail because it it.

I don't think so? Though honestlybi was planning on scrubbing her again today, in case i mossed some yesterday. If yiu see some, all the more reason to do this!

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Yes it honestly looks to me like a ring of shed that hasn't come off. If you can, and I mean gently, try yr fingernail, clean fingernails lol... see if it comes up. It's tight now. I did have to pick at Lizzys a bit. She didn't like it. But before u do that. Would you repost the worst pic in emergency again please. Ask for help to remove this shed urgently. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable comes to the thread to help! ;)

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Been trying to pic at it for a few days. Just before we left for lunch, i noticed a couple red spots at the base of the problem part of her tail. Like its bothering her and she has been biting at it when i wasn't looking. I was planning on giving her a soak again today. To try and maybe loosen the shed and then pick at it some more. Hopefully that will loosen it, if it is a shed.

I hope i can help her feep more comfortable. If this doesn't work, then i will need to take her to the vet. Before she possibly chews that bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom