New beardy owner (adult beardy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you have a heat mat on his cool side then he is not getting cool enough at 100 degrees. Take that out ASAP so he has a place to cool down. Let him drink some more water and offer smaller insects if the roach was a large one and be sure not to feed him too late in the day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd simply disconnect it from the power unless it's a tiny 5W heatpad (which only warms a small area (about 4x6 inches or there abouts)).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
tdxdmc":oositvs0 said:
how would you recommend i got him to eat?

if he is not eating , either handfeed him (there are lots UTUBE vids that show how to do this if you are trying to get him to eat insects / worms and lefty greens.

Or make up purees of water and bugs and greens and give by feeding syringe as shown in the link provided.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
he threw up again today. the first time looked to be half of an undigested dubia, and it was a day after feeding. Today it looks like a ball off crushed dubia, and its been 3 days since that feed.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
I gave him a bath today, waited for him to dry, and took him outside today. He seems to be more awake, but still laying down. I unplugged the mat, im hoping he goes to the other side.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Ah, the poor little guy is totally emaciated. He's throwing up roaches for any number of reasons, #1 being he's obviously not been fed much at all (your friend fed him once a week, or once a month?) You definitely need to go very, very slowly, and give only small amounts of protein per day in order to slowly build his fat reserves back up, as if he eats too much protein at once you can put him in kidney failure in his condition. Also, large dubias are probably way too big for him in his condition, so that can also cause him to vomit. Much better to use small ones and give 2-3 instead of one large.

He hasn't had a good UVB light in a long, long time I'm afraid, and this has killed his appetite and most likely caused calcium and vitamin deficiencies. If I were you I'd buy him a Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tube, like a 22" on Amazon.com, and they have a good combo deal for the UVB tube and a long, flourescent fixture rated for a T5 tube at 25 watts. This is the best UVB light out there for a bearded dragon, and its strong enough to be on top of a mesh lid as long as it is within 11" of his basking spot. That's step one.

I agree you need to ditch the heat mat all together. Why it was on his cool side I don't know, but the idea of the Cool Side is him having an area between 75-80 degrees maximum to cool down. Heat mats are not a great idea for beardies and are unnecessary. They really only need two lights in their enclosures: a long, 18" or 24" (the Reptisun T5 High-Output UVB tube is called a 22") flourescent tube UVB light rated at 10% minimum (Reptisun 10.0 T5 tube), and right alongside the long UVB tube he needs a bright white basking bulb (never any colored bulbs like blue, red, yellow, etc.) over his basking spot on the Hot Side of his enclosure. Most of us use regular household halogen indoor flood bulbs, like you buy at Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart. No need for a special reptile basking bulb from a pet shop, most of them are not suitable for a beardie anyway. Make sure both lights are right alongside each other so he can get both at the same time while on his basking spot. A digital probe thermometer is the best way to accurately measure his basking spot (between 98-103 degrees), his Hot Side (between 88-93 degrees), and his Cool Side (between 75-80 degrees maximum). You move the probe to where you want to measure the temperature, let it sit each time you move it for 20-30 seconds, then read the temperature.

At 5 years old he needs fresh greens and veggies every day, collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, Dandelion greens, arugula (rocket), endive, escarole, bok choy, and chards are your best choices of greens, stay away from kale and spinach, as it contains oxalates that bind with the Calcium and keep him from absorbing any Calcium. You need a Calcium supplement, if you buy the Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB tube your Calcium supplement doesn't need to contain any vitamin D3, as this UVB light will enable him to make enough D3 on his own. If you choose a weaker UVB light then you'll need Calcium with D3 (also, the Reptisun T5 High-Output UVB tube only needs replaced once a year, the weaker T8 tubes must be replaced every 6 months, even though they still turn on and light up, they lose their UVB emittance more quickly than the T5).

Dubias are a good protein source, but again he is a very sick and weak boy, and size large dubias are too big I think. If you want to use dubias as his staple feeder insect I'd buy smalls or mediums at the largest, much better to feed a few more than one large one that chokes him, causes an impaction, or causes him to vomit.

For now though, as already mentioned, he can't really handle too much live protein, he needs to have his fat stores rebuilt very slowly as to not damage his kidneys. You need to get some Oxbow Critical Care and syringe feed him daily, along with giving him his fresh greens every day, in order to get his strength back and get him in shape to start eating protein again. He should be taken to an experienced reptile vet ASAP, you need to take a fresh poop sample and have him checked for parasites, and a good reptile vet will help you with the nutritional supplement.

Thanks for wanting to help this little guy, this didn't happen to him in days or weeks, it took months of neglect to put him in this emaciated condition, and it's going to be a slow process getting him back to health, but he's worth it. He deserves to finally have a loving family who will care for him properly.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
*UPDATE*
I took him to the vet today, the vet said he was amazed that he was still alive, due to there being almost no fa on him. He weighs 207 grams, a lot lighter than i thought. The vet gave me some liquid diet (oxbow) and I will be feeding him with that for about a week. After the week i will have a follow up vet appointment, and then slowly try to et him back to eating protein. I want to thank everyone for their responses, you have been a great help! Today I have fed him his first dosage, and gave him a bath. I will be bathing him twice daily for now, and I will be giving updates on his status. Thank you again everyone for your time!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds like a good plan, the oxbow is full of nutrition as well as hydration. You can just do baths every other day so as not to stress him or chill him, he's pretty fragile.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
Hey, since being on the liquid diet, he is starting to pick his head up more, and is definitely more curious and active. This morning when i gave him a bath, he pooped, but it looked very strange. It looked to be a sack with an undigested roach, and the white part was very hard. Im hoping he is digesting properly, but it doesn't seem to me like this is normal.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's not digesting the insects properly yet so it's good that he's on the Oxbow supplement for now. It will take him a while to get healthy, sometimes many months. Just be patient and hope for the best.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
he seems to be doing better every day, he has been much more alert the last two days. He is a fighter!

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
I'm glad the poor guys is doing a littke bit better! Hes' lucky, he is with you now. I've heard a lot of good things about Oxbow. Hopefully he will start feeling all the better and gain some weight.

tdxdmc

Original Poster
it really is crazy, he showed improvement immediately, I am so glad i got some. a little less than a week to go, and then i will slowly get him back to protein. Cant wait to stop using the syringe haha. He is very good about it tho, today he even tried to eat it! Im glad his appetite is coming back.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Have you asked about using Critical care? I believe it is also by oxbow. The carnivore version i think should be soft. When you try to introduce him to protein, instead of bugs, why not try small amiunts of that or some other soft food? Should he easier on his stomach than insects right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom