New Beardie Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

parodyofagirl

Hatchling Member
First, I would like to introduce Quincy an active outgoing beardie "tween" who was about 3.5 inches from nose to vent and 8.5 inches in length when he was purchased 12 days ago. My boyfriend originally wanted an iguana, but changed his mind when he learned about bearded dragons. Quincy is named after the iguana in the Foxtrot comics. We're not sure if Quincy is male or female, but we're pretty sure Quincy is an 'alpha.' He puts on beard displays when he can see his reflection and has actually tried to attack it on a couple of occasions. Since I don't want him to hurt himself, I normally take him out and let him run around for a while under close supervision when this happens.

Out of all the little beardies in the huge tank with him, Quincy was the only one with his whole tail and all of his fingers and toes that was actively running around (the others were sunning themselves under a lamp and watching my boyfriend suspiciously). Quincy's red/orange tail caught my boyfriend's eye, but it was his curious playful demeanor and the way he watched my boyfriend intently that captured his heart. It seemed more like Quincy picked him rather than the other way around.

The store sold him to us as a regular beardie, but it turns out that his brownish skin colour is really because he was about to shed! From what I can tell (he hasn't shed completely yet), Quincy is actually yellow, pastel green, khaki, green, and brown. Right now his tail is red/orange and I'm looking forward to seeing what color it really is when he finishes shedding.

I also want to thank all of you for the educational information that is posted in these forums. It has been a more than a great help when I have had questions about Quincy...it actually saved him from becoming seriously ill. When we initially purchased Quincy we did not purchase the correct type of bulb. Initially we had one of the mercury vapor spot UVA/UVB lights but he hated it. When we replaced it with a coil UV bulb he became much more active and seemed happier.

Then, about 5 days ago he became lethargic and I noticed a couple of times during the day that his hind legs and toes would begin trembling and stop. I became upset originally thinking he was impacted or sick b/c I had fed him little mealworms the day before instead of crickets. (Something I now know he should not have until he is older.) When I used google to search the internet, I found the answer late at night on your website. The UV coil bulb was not the proper bulb for a bearded dragon. My boyfriend (who is working on a doctorate in chemistry) did not believe me until I mentioned a good point that the post made: a light with UVB output should appear bluish (UVB is short wavelength light radiation and would appear towards the blue end of the visual spectrum.) Our coil bulb was a funny pinkish orange color. Quincy was showing the first sign of either a vitamin deficiency or MBD. I felt absolutely terrible knowing that this could have been prevented.

The next day I took Quincy outside for close to an hour and stroked his head and back out in the warm Florida sun while he basked sitting on my knee. When my boyfriend was finished with class for the day we went to another pet store and bought one of the tube UVB lights. We made sure that it was the proper spectrum and when we turned on the bulb it glowed blue. Quincy is much happier now albeit still a little lethargic (I'm attributing that to his shedding) and I have not seen any trembling for the past two days. I'm also taking him outside every day to get some sun just in case the bulb is not enough.

Once again, I want to thank all of you for the informative advice that you provide. It has saved Quincy's health and ensured that he will grow up to be a happy, healthy beardie!

I do have some questions that have been rattling around in my head, and I would appreciate any advice/insight you can give.

When you say "don't feed a beardie anything larger than the space between their eyes," is that the length or the width of the food item? Also, which space? Is it the span across the head from eyeball to eyeball, or is it the measure of the little flat part in between? For crickets I've been using the span from eyeball to eyeball as a measure of the length, and the little flat part in between as a measure of the cricket's width. Anything bigger is currently being released outside.

For a beardie of Quincy's size should I be trying to feed him 2 or 3 times a day? He has not been very interested in (chasing his) food since he began shedding and will only eat right now when I hold the crickets in front of him. When he does not want anymore, he backs away. He eats about 15-20 small crickets at meal one, and maybe 10 at his next sitting. The crickets are between 1cm and about 3/4in long. I'm concerned he is not eating enough. Although he is pooping regularly and doesn't seem to be having any problems with his digestion.

He will not eat any greens other than some sort of lettuce (which I have stopped giving him because it did not agree with him). When I try to be sneaky and mix up the foods he likes with the ones he does not, he will actually go so far as to violently toss around what he does not like to find what he does. If I gutload some crickets only on greens, will this be sufficient? If not, how else can I provide the nutrients he needs? I know he likes applesauce, carrots (given sparingly), romaine and hibiscus flowers if he is in the mood. Should I just puree everything together and try to get him to enjoy his greens with his applesauce?

What kind of cereal do you recommend providing to crickets? What nutritional content should I be looking for, and what vitamins if any (besides A) should I try to provide only sparingly?

Why isn't citrus recommended for beardies?

Is it normal for my beardie's colors to change throughout the day? There are times when his yellows are more vibrant and times when the greens or browns are more apparent. It seems to be related to warmth or level of activity, but it seems a little unusual.

Once again, I wholeheartedly thank everyone who provides information on this site for the betterment of beardies everywhere. Quincy sends his thanks and appreciation as well!

Quincy and I are looking forward to meeting all of you here and making new friends.

beagle lover

Juvie Member
Wow, what a beginning. I wish I could take my beardie outside and sun her, but we live in Wisconsin and it's just a bit chilly here right now. As far as some of you questions go, it's the width between their eyes and the prey shouldn't be wider or longer than that. For instance if the space between his eyes is 1/2 inch don't feed larger than 1/2" crickets. (I think what you've been doing is fine) and stay away from super worms until your beardie himself is about 16" long. Meal worms should only be used as an occasional treat because they are almost all exoskeleton and don't provide much nourishment to your bd. Wax worms are too fatty and should also just be used as a treat. Check out http://www.beautifuldragons.com for food and care sheets they have a compreshensive list of appropriate dragon food. Make sure you are dusting one meal a day with calcium dust and at least once a week with a vitamin supplement. This will help with his deficiency problem as well.
At the size of Quincy I would definitely feed him at least twice a day. They should be fed at least twice a day until they around 6-9 months old and they should have veggies available all day. I wouldn't puree everything together and I'd go easy on the fruits and carrots. They should only be fed occasionally. Lettuce is not the best green for your beardie either because the vitamin content isn't very high. Check the beautiful dragon site, but better greens are escarole, endive, and mustard greens. At the size your beardie is he probably won't eat many greens, but offer them any way. My beardie is almost 7 months old and only sporadically eats her greens.
I reccomend cricket food for your crickets, some people use crushed dog and cat food. As far as vitamins go they sell specific vitamins for reptiles at pet stores, I think I have repcal calcium and a multivitamin.
Citrus isn't recommended for beardies because the acid can cause diarhea.
Again, check the care sheets that are on this forum and look at the links to beautifuldragons.com it will help you immensely.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Congrats on your new dragon :) They're awesome creatures. I'm glad you were able to find the help you needed on this site and I hope your dragon continues to feel better.

parodyofagirl":6a604 said:
When you say "don't feed a beardie anything larger than the space between their eyes," is that the length or the width of the food item? Also, which space? Is it the span across the head from eyeball to eyeball, or is it the measure of the little flat part in between?

You're looking at the length of the food...although anything that's wider than that space is also going to be far too long :) And the space you're looking at is the space across the top of the head between the eyes.

For a beardie of Quincy's size should I be trying to feed him 2 or 3 times a day? He has not been very interested in (chasing his) food since he began shedding and will only eat right now when I hold the crickets in front of him. When he does not want anymore, he backs away. He eats about 15-20 small crickets at meal one, and maybe 10 at his next sitting. The crickets are between 1cm and about 3/4in long. I'm concerned he is not eating enough. Although he is pooping regularly and doesn't seem to be having any problems with his digestion.

It wouldn't be bad to offer live food three times a day, but he'll be okay with being fed twice a day. It's common for their appetite to go away while they're shedding, but it does come back afterwards. Be careful about holding food in front of him - beardie's are quick to develop bad (i.e lazy) habits and he may continue refusing to eat anything that's not held out for him even after he's done shedding. It's easy to get a dragon used to being handfed but much harder to get them eating on their own again afterwards. You could try putting the crickets in the fridge for 5 minutes before feeding them to your dragon - this will slow them down and make them easier for him to catch.

25-30 crickets sounds about right for a dragon his size. As he grows his appetite will too. There are two methods to feeding a young dragon:
(1) offer as many live bugs as he wants to eat in 10 minutes per feeding (can be over 100 bugs a day as they grow)
(1) offer up to 50 crickets a day
The first reasons that dragons won't overeat and they need protein to grow, so by offering as much as they want you make sure they're getting all the protein they need.
The second reasons that 50 crickets a day is enough for a dragon to grow at a good rate and to a good size (there are two members on here who have used this method and have quite large adult dragons now). It also encourages the dragon to develop healthy eating habits since it encourages them to turn to their salad at an earlier age instead of filling up completely on bugs.
Both are valid options, its up to you to read up and decide what makes the most sense for you and your dragon.

He will not eat any greens other than some sort of lettuce (which I have stopped giving him because it did not agree with him). When I try to be sneaky and mix up the foods he likes with the ones he does not, he will actually go so far as to violently toss around what he does not like to find what he does. If I gutload some crickets only on greens, will this be sufficient? If not, how else can I provide the nutrients he needs? I know he likes applesauce, carrots (given sparingly), romaine and hibiscus flowers if he is in the mood. Should I just puree everything together and try to get him to enjoy his greens with his applesauce?

It's normal for young dragons to not be too thrilled about their greens and veggies right away. I found that it helped if I mixed in coloured veggies like squash, shredded carrots, and prickly pear. My dragon was attracted by the colour. It can also help to mix the live bugs in with the salad - worms are great for this because they tend to hold onto the pieces of greens so your dragon gets greens when they go for the bugs. Another trick is to put the salad out first thing in the morning when your dragon is hungry, and hold off on the live bugs until a bit later on. Make sure you leave some salad out for him throughout the day so he has a chance to try it if he gets a whim to do so.

What kind of cereal do you recommend providing to crickets? What nutritional content should I be looking for, and what vitamins if any (besides A) should I try to provide only sparingly?

There are some great commercial cricket gutloads that you can use. When I used crickets I fed them the same greens that I gave my dragon, as well as the dragon pellet foods, and oatmeal (in case they ate all of the previous two).

Why isn't citrus recommended for beardies?

Other than that it probably isn't good for them, I don't know.

Is it normal for my beardie's colors to change throughout the day? There are times when his yellows are more vibrant and times when the greens or browns are more apparent. It seems to be related to warmth or level of activity, but it seems a little unusual.

This is totally normal :) Usually light colours mean a warm, happy dragon, and a dark dragon is cold, trying to soak up heat, or stressed. There's not always a clear reason for the colour changes (i.e. don't assume your dragon is stressed everytime his colours are a bit dark), although once you get to know his usual patterns, you'll be able to see any changes that could indicate problems (i.e. your dragon suddenly stops changing colour throughout the day and stays dark all day, accompanied with other behavioural changes).

Hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom