New beardie owner, best food options other than crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not necessarily- you could try moving the basking light over in front of the UVB and get a piece of decor that kinda runs under both lights
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
I'm afraid if I move the basking light in front it will melt the UVB fixture. It would overlap. I had to move the hammock because the ledge under the hammock would be 9in from the UVB.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well it will work he will go to the light he needs- the 9 inches will work too- watch his behavior and his eating pooping etc--
You took cover off of uvb fixture?
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
I didn't see a cover. Unless you are talking about the main black plastic piece that holds the bulb itself and has the on and off switch.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":368ysj9s said:
No you would need a T 5 fixture- difference is bulb strength and length-- T 5's do not come in fixtures smaller than 22" I believe- you can keep the zilla hood the Reptisun bulb will fit it--- you can get your Reptisun bulb in the petstore for your fixture the petstores usually carry the size
Karrie
You would need a T5 fixture, and the T5 is stronger than the T8.
T5 & T8 refer to the diameter of the bulb in 1/8" inch increments, so a T5 is 5/8" dia. and a T8 is 1" (8/8") diameter.

The remaining designation is 10.0 vs. 5.0 The 10.0 is stronger than the 5.0, and intended for desert dwellers like bearded dragons. The 5.0 is less intense, and better suited for tropical lizards (chameleons) & fish. :wink:

The T5 is also a different technology than a T8, which is why it is a stronger UVB.

Reptisun does make a 12" T5 10.0 (probably for a 15" fixture)
https://zoomed.com/t5-ho-reptisun-10-0-uvb/
The links on that page in orange are worth bookmarking/printing and perusing. :wink:

Tia828

Original Poster
So update received roaches and Phoenix worms(should have ordered a bigger size lol)in mail. Red loved them! Definitely filled up faster. I have noticed he is getting a little lazy some days and only wants to be hand fed but Red is shedding again. Did get him to eat some red pepper and parsnip.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html kale is a good staple feeder --- you can try other worms as well horn supers meal butter and silk worms ---
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ look and see if they have silk worms in last I checked they were out
www.coastalsilkworms.com I had to order off the west coast - if you order bulk make sure you get food - you will need to feed them and clean containers out every day
www.https://reptilianarts.com/ silk worms
www.dubiaroaches.com horn worms super worms butter worms when in stock they were out last I looked --
https://symtonbsf.com/ order large
Glad to hear he is eating -
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
Hornworms are not too big? Red is about 8 in nose to tail now. Its actually nice here today so thinking a warm bath to help with shedding. How often would you recommend a bath. So far I have given him one. He did well. He just wants to roam the house but not big enough yet lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Bathing is optional --- most dont bath unless they haft to like to get them to poop or if they have a dirty butt - or if that is the only way they can get them to drink --- I try and get their hydration thru the veggies --- if not bath is the last thing --- if the shed is real bad you can bath and take a baby toothbrush and brush in the bath --- or you can spray them in the tank
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
I've been trying with the veggies... I hand feed a couple bugs then sneak in a veggie or two. Then Red just gives me dirty looks like really I'm not eating that lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take your phoenix worms and put them on top of his salad let him see you do this along w/ a worm or two ---
Karrie

Tia828

Original Poster
so he likes the kale and eats some from time to time as well as the red pepper and parsnip when I sneak it in. I have been ordering dubias from reptilesupply.com and they are all out ugh. So what size horn worm is good for Red. He is about 8in long about half in between eyes. Cant find butterworms or silk worms at this time. He has been eating phoenix and crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom