New Beardie I rescued

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
It has been a long time since I posted on this site. But tonight I felt the need. I was looking through Craigslist and came across a listing for a beardie. After contacting the folks, I found out that this little guy was about a year old and had never been given fresh veggies or live food. His owner had only been feeding him those dry juvenile Beardie pellets. They also never had the proper lighting. (No heat lamp or UV light). They also had him in with an iguana for a period of time and the iguana bit several of the beardies toes off! :cry:

I knew right then and there I had to rescue this little guy. I drove to their house today to pick him up. What they said was a 40 gal breeder tank, turned out to be a 20 gal long tank. They also were using kitty litter as "sand". I couldn't drive home fast enough to get him in to the tub to wash the yuck off of him and to dump and scrub his tank.

He is a beautiful little fella. lots of tans and oranges. Though, when I first picked him up, you couldn't tell. He had kitty litter caked and plastered all over. I used a soft, new toothbrush to gently scrub the gunk off of him. At first, all he wanted to do was flail and fight, but once he realized i wasn't going to hurt him, he calmed down. He wasn't to keen on being a beardie burrito when i dried him off afterwards though. LOL.

I have him with a heat lamp and UV light. I tried feeding him super worms and crix. So far, its a no go on the worms, but he did eat one large cricket. I also made him a salad and put it in there for him. I still need to get another 40 gal breeder tank and a steel lid built so the cats can't fall through the flimsy mesh lid. And then the fun of building a stand to hold both tanks.

I can't believe how small he is compared to my 3 year old beardie, Sam. he def has alot of growing to do to catch up with her. I have an appointment tomorrow with my exotic animal vet to have him checked over. Plus, I need to get some more liquid calcium. (Sam hates the calcium dust on her crickets)

I need to just own a zoo with as many animals we have rescued lol!

lilblack94gt":kwpt7c1k said:
His owner had only been feeding him those dry juvenile Beardie pellets.

This is precisely my issue with those pellets. Sure, they're probably good to mix into the veggies/live food diet. But they say on their labels that they can be used as 'A complete dietary system.' and it's an appalling notion that a beardie should get only pellets their whole life. You have done a wonderful thing in saving this beardie, I'm sure before long he'll be doing much better! Best of luck with him.

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Its funny how they can start thriving in such a short time. Just by changing his diet, his color has gotten much better and he is alot more active. found out he loves fresh peaches and watermelon. Basically, anything sweet. LOL. And the UV light has helped alot. He loves crickets and super worms too.

So now, I need to get a bigger enclosure for him and get a stand built to put both cages on lol!

crystalryan1980

Hatchling Member
Great job saving this little guy. I do have a couple of words of advice. When saving an UVB lacking bearded only leave him under it for a few hours a day upping it over a next week or so. Also don't feed him to much protien to fast. He needs to get used to that as well. His kidneys could fail if you give to much to fast. If you have anyquestion feel free to look us up www.reptile-rescue.us

coco88

it is very lucky you rescued him. :D i mean who would put one lizard in with another different kind of lizard. that makes me mad. :angry5:

Momswims1

Juvie Member
Hey. Can you post an update to let us know how the baby is doing? Kitty litter? Really? What is wrong with people. So glad you got him!
Let us know what you named him and how he is doing. Been thinking about him.

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
Glad he is in a better home. It is sad how much misinformation there is out there on raising beardies. The majority of it is spread by pet stores. Good luck and I can't wait for pictures.

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
It's so sad and makes me very angry at people who treat other living beings like this. It's wonderful you rescued him.
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom