New beardie baby question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What you can do is turn of the uvb light, and examine the bulb. There should be some writing on there. Can you check? You don't want to look when the bulb is turned on though, obviously :lol:

-Brandon

roseplummer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I forgot to check the light but I looked up those bulbs recommended and I can not afford them right now :( I will make sure he gets some natural light today outside and every day it is warm out. I want to save what money I have for feeding him and I have a 2 year old with muscle disease that we have some testing coming up on. I promise he won't be neglected I just can't swing the light and all his yummy (to him) crickets this pay check.

He spent an hour watching tv with me last night (so much for him being hubby's lol)

I do have a question. I keep seeing cabbage is bad but we were told to feed bok choy. Isn't bok choy cabbage? Wouldn't it then be bad? This question covers both Rango my beardie baby and Nitro my Mali Uromastyx.
I hope you won't think bad of me. We got the light the store recommended we didn't realize it was the wrong light :( . I want to keep him happy healthy and spoiled. I am looking forward to taking him outside for play time later :D

Kate221

Hatchling Member
My Enya is missing pretty much her entire back left foot, toes off her right back foot, and part of her tail was nibbled on by her brothers and sisters. She's the SWEETEST girl ever! We love her to death and she doesn't act like she realises her toes are missing. They grow up and seem to not have any major problems from missing their "piggies" (as we say at my house, lol). Good luck with your baby and keep posting those cute pictures!! :D

roseplummer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Watching tv last night. Excuse the crumbs the human baby left behind lol
IMG_5086.jpg

5 seconds later he went to sleep lol
IMG_5087.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Bok Choy is good to mix with staple salad items like collard greens, mustard greens, endive and or kale. I typically buy some baby bok choy for my dragons salads. Cabbage is lower in nutrition then other salad items, it is not recommended to feed it as a main staple. It however has more hydration then some of the other staple items like the collard greens. Ensure to dust with multivitamins 1-2 times a week and there will be no worries.

Uromastyx are slightly different they can get more bok choy but, still do not use it as a staple. The reason I would give more of it is that a Uro will not drink water and should not be bathed unless absolutely necessary.

Cute little guy you have. With or without toes, it doesn't matter. It is the personality that makes a bearded dragon special. :wink:

roseplummer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks. I am going to pick up more greens tonight. The local grocery had yucky veggies so we are going someplace else to get some. I was thinking of trying some kale or mustard greens and I have a freezer full of blueberries for occasional treats but he really prefers crickets right now. The only veggies he has tried is shredded carrots.

I took him outside for play time and he started gaping his mouth open. I of course brought him in all worried only to discover that it is normal for basking lol
I have not noticed any stress marks during any of his first few days with us. Do I have a mellow little guy or do they not all get stressmarks?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
roseplummer":3gtqchdo said:
Thanks. I am going to pick up more greens tonight. The local grocery had yucky veggies so we are going someplace else to get some. I was thinking of trying some kale or mustard greens and I have a freezer full of blueberries for occasional treats but he really prefers crickets right now. The only veggies he has tried is shredded carrots.

I took him outside for play time and he started gaping his mouth open. I of course brought him in all worried only to discover that it is normal for basking lol
I have not noticed any stress marks during any of his first few days with us. Do I have a mellow little guy or do they not all get stressmarks?

To have relocation stress and showing stress marks are not always related. They can be in relocation stress and not display the marks. It is best not to feed frozen foods, fresh is better. During the freezing process the B1 deteriorates and is destroyed. Feeding frozen greens/fruit can lead to hypervitaminosis (lack of vitamin B1). If the frozen food is infrequently fed and the dragon otherwise is eating fresh greens and getting multivitamin supplementation 1-2 times a week there should be no worries.

Yes, the gaping is normal and good. The dragon is at it's optimal temperature and will thermoregulate this temperature by gaping. Or in other words, gaping allows the dragon to maintain this optimal temperature and not get hotter.

Do you have multivitamins and calcium supplements?

roseplummer

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The blueberries are an occasional treat. Most of the foods fed are fresh. I have a phosphorous free calcium powder but I don't really know how to use it. He doesn't really like veggies yet. I just offer so he can get used to them.

I've never dusted my vivvi's salad, I just do her feeders.
when she was on crickets, I would just put the crickets in a plastic baggy, put some of the multi-vitamin and calcium powder, and shake it up.
that will get the crickets lightly covered in it, then feed!

-Mario

midmichicer

Gray-bearded Member
When you got your uvb, was it a long tube or a small compact spiral light? If it is a long tube, what size is it? 18", 24", ect...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Rose. Make sure you take your dragon out for some natural sunlight each day if you can. It will help them a lot.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom