New 4 month old Bob just wants to hide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eilatan49

Hi!,

brought a new beardie on thursday and all he wants to do is hide, and he seems very shy, when i do get him out he loves to just hide under my chin! He is eating fine but still no poo, gave him a bath this morning, he is very active and seems alert but just hides!

Many Thanks
xx

eilatan49

Original Poster
yeh sorry, all the time hes in the tank he hides either down the side of his bed or squeezed in between his rock and log, but he is still able to see everything that is going on

bdp7150

if he is in a new area( and new to you) take out all the stuff you have in the tank that he can hide around , just leave the basking platform everything else out for a while untill he gets use to you and area ,then put some of your items back in slowly and watch his actions.

eilatan49

Original Poster
HI,

havent been able to get online! his heat lamp is sylania 60w and uv light is arcadia D3 reptile FD3P15-(18", 450MM) 12%UVB Output lamp, his tank is 3ft x 18inches.

Bob is 4months and is just under 8inches.

Have taken his fav hiding spots out and now just stands on his back legs pressed up against the corner as to say "you cant see me really", its as though he is shy/scared but when i hold him he only wants to stay close to me and wont have an explore, if my partner holds him, he just runs back to me, like i said in the first post, he was and still is "active" and alert and is eating but only one poo since thursday 22nd, have given him a bath every 2 days for 5 mins.
I just hope hes ok!

Thanks so much for your advice guys, much appreciated!!
Nat

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Your set up sounds great.
The only other thing we can consider are his temperatures.
Can you tell me what his temp is under his basking light and on his coolside please?
If things are too hot or too cool they can invoke these kind of responces.
You need to measure these temps with a digital thermometre with a probe, or a temp gun.
Any stick ons or dials can be up to 20* off, and 20* is the difference between a happy lizard and a grumpy one!
You can get a digital thermom at walmart for $12, but as you said you are using Arcadia I think you may be from the UK?
If so you can get one online pretty cheaply. I have an exo-terra one that i found for £6.

It sounds like he is just adjusting to his new home and is seeking security. If he has no where to hide pushing himself against the glass probably makes him feel more enclosed.
Hopefully he will settle down soon.

Its a great sign that he is happy to sit with you and seems secure.
To help things along what you can do is wear an old tshirt for a few hours and then place it inside his tank. If he feels safe with you introducing your scent into his viv will help him start to feel secure in there too.

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bre2236
Top Bottom