Neurological problems, is it time to euthanize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalDrake

I'll preface this with I work at a pet store and we get our animals from questionable sources...
We received a baby dragon who appeared to be suffering some type of neurological issues. He couldn't keep his feet under him and was constantly falling on his face trying to get around, almost like he had no control of what his legs were doing. Took him to the vet and they claimed it was calcium deficiency and had him on boosted calcium intake for two months. During those two months, he ate well, basked and did his best to behave like a normal dragon would, but he still couldn't walk right. He finished his "meds" and we took him back to the vet. They basically said it's neurological but he's fine.

Well, we adopt these kinds of animals out and I was afraid he would be sent home with someone who just wanted a free animal, so I took him home myself. It's been three or so months now. He eats well, both bugs and greens, but he hasn't grown from the time we got him at the store to now... He still tries to thrive, I can tell he's fighting, but there's next to no muscle on his legs and it pains me to see him struggle to catch food that I'm holding still directly in front of him.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain, but the fact is he isn't growing regardless of how much he eats. I have another dragon that's a similar age as him and that one is four times his size now... I just wonder if it would be better to let him go...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Poor baby--- what kind of UVB are you using? NO coils please -- if you could go over the whole set up it would help -- and please post some pics of him too - maybe Tracie and AHBD could give you some ideas on whats going on
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
I would NOT euthanize him if hes doing good

RegalDrake

Original Poster
110455-964560374.jpg

His current setup is a 20 gallon long
Substrate is vinyl flooring with the bottom up. It has better traction on the bottom.
A VERY shallow water dish furthest away from the basking spot.
His basking is roughly 105, a little under. The rest of the cage is just pushing 80.
Currently I have a Reptisun 10.0 13 watt on him that I purchased just before bringing him home. I have plans to get the tube fixtures, but with covid, money's been a bit tight.

He eats dubia like a champ, basks and gets baths every other day to keep him hydrated. His body condition just seems poor and having been to the vet twice and being told no parasites or anything of the sort, I'm at a loss. I'm happy to continue assist feeding him, I just don't want to prolong any suffering if that may be the case. The last thing I want to do is euthanize, Ripley is such a little trooper!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you definitely need to get rid of that 13 watt- I would get the Zilla 18 or 20 inch fixture and swap the bulb out for a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb--- that alone is going to help him w/ the neurological issues the compact 13 watt is NO GOOD-- distance needs to be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor w/ NO obstruction-also take the clear plastic cover off the fixture - leave it off

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor little dude. :( You are doing a great job and put a lot of effort in rehabbing and keeping him comfortable . His condition might be something like muscular dystrophy in a way, neurological. The fact that he's eating means he's not suffering so it's O.K. to keep him around. :) If + when he's obviously suffering , not eating, etc., then I would consider euthanasia. But if you're O.K taking care of the poor thing then keep up the good work ! BTW, does he have a name ?

RegalDrake

Original Poster
His lights are definitely on my shopping list on my next paycheck since I'm expecting a bonus. I've not heard great things about the zilla fixture though. My first choice was Arcadia, but with covid, a lot of sources for them are out. But he's definitely getting a better uvb!

His name is Ripley! :) Not sure if he's a male or female yet, but figured that would work both ways. I've heard and seen similar issues in other dragons where they still lived a good life with assistance, but they were older/larger dragons. He's so small, I just worry. Especially since he ultimately was bred by Mack's...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok Arcadia is good I only suggested because you said you were tight on money and it's better than the 13 watt by far--

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ripley is very sweet. I am glad to hear you are upgrading your UVB light to an Arcadia D3 12%.
The Reptisun 10% is a nice light also.
I agree, that is a great sign he is eating right now. Is he able to climb up some to bask towards
his light? If he is not suffering, it is definitely ok to keep him with you! I am always in support of
trying all things before making those types of decisions.
Are you giving a liquid or powdered calcium supplement?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom