Need To Put On Some Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Hey! So, without going into a lot of unnecessary detail, I've come to the conclusion that Gabriel could stand to put on a bit of weight now that he's finally fully come out of brumation a few weeks back. Usually, my go to choice would be wax worms, I like how small they are and how high in fat content they are (I get very skittish about bigger worms - a while back, one of my darlings, a full grown, large beardie, did not properly chew a hornworm and had an incredibly bad experience with it). But I did still want some other people's opinons: I'm going to be using these worms for the purpose of putting a little bit of weight on Gabriel. So should I stick with the wax worms, or should I get something like superworms? I've heard those are good as well. And where do you like to get yours that's cost-effective and good quality?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd stick to protein and lots of veges for adding weight. It will happen without putting on too much fat but it takes a bit of time. A nice wide variety of veges in a salad every day along with a handful of bugs should do the job nicely. If you can get some silk worms those are a great option to add into the mix. Supers are OK but I don't like to offer more than a couple at a time because they're not the best nutritionally. Black soldier fly larvae are a good choice and pretty popular but they're really small so it's a bit of a pain to fish them out of their substrate and feed them off. I order mine from Lindasgonebuggie and have good luck.

Lenimph

I don't recommend Superworms. They are really good for putting on weight but my beardie suffered some constipation issues because of their high chitin content.

I recently started feeding her BSF larvae and my beardie has been filled with so much more energy and I find them super duper easy to take care off and I don't mind finding them in their substrate at all. It's way easier then catching and dusting crickets IMO. I can't recommend them enough, especially the phoenix brand ones. I get mine from rainbowmealworms.net

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I never replied to this, but thank you both! I will definitely check out those BSF larvae then, they sound good, and Gabriel could use some variation to spice up his diet, he mostly just gets crickets for his insects.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Do you have pics of him, and is he really underweight ? Even if you're trying to help him put on weight you can feed him a normal diet and his weight will return with his appetite. Silkworms get bigger than bsfl....it would take a whole lot of those tiny things to really fill up an adult dragon but of course if money is no concern and you have the means to keep them stored [ without turning in to flies ] then that's fine. Superworms are no problem with healthy, well hydrated dragons. I've never had a problem with feeding those. You can get 500 or 1,000 from Great Lakes hornworms or Armstrong crickets [ both have excellent products + service ] shipped to you [overnight if you like] and set them up easily in a medium plastic tote or sweater box uncovered [ they can't get out ] with a box of oatmea and/or bran dumped in and add veggies like large leaf + stem of collards or other greens and a few slices of sweet potato. They will last for months , you just check the veggies to make sure nothing gets moldy.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't have pics of him on me currently, but no, he's not severely underweight. I honestly wouldn't even say he's underweight at all, I would just say he would benefit from having a few more pounds on him.

As for hornworms, I tend to stay away from them. I used to love them, and then one of my beardies had an incredibly bad experience with one, and now I'm gun shy. I do order crickets by the 1000 from reptilefood.com. I wasn't going to feed him BSF larvae alone, just looking to add something to his diet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A few more pounds ? I know, you meant grams. :) And I was referring Great Lakes hornworms for buying your superworms, they sell crix, horns + superworms there.

LucisAbsentia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ahahahaha yes, I definitely meant grams XD and ohhh okay, yes, that's a good company, I can check them out for things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom