Need some honest opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addicted

Hatchling Member
So,my beardie is doing horrible.He grew like crazy and was a blast to keep for a while but then he got the yellow fungus.I with the help of my vet treated the yellow and Coccidia he had,his appetite came back but the yellow also came back real bad.He just looks so pathetic now,obviously miserable.I soak him everyday,and treat the fungus with tinactin every other day but he just Get's worse every week.Now the fungus has creeped down by the vent,not pretty.He will not improve,just keeps getting worse every week.

I am seriously considering home Co2 euthanasia,i just hate to see him miserable every day and going down hill quickly.I think It's just a matter of time before he dies anyway,and prolonged suffering is just needless when i can end it for him.And i forgot to mention he also has a huge abscess on his back from the yellow that got better for a short period,but now is huge.No matter what i do he just keeps getting worse.

What do i do?,I know his ultimate fate will most likely be death,and i know i should not let him suffer.If you have any suggestions I'm all ears,but i do not think he will get better.

Jason.

Rachella

Juvie Member
I'm sorry to hear about that. It sounds like a horrible thing to go through.

What is his setup like? If you're treating him properly for the fungus it could be something in his setup that is contaminated, probably preventing him from being able to get rid of it.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your poor beardie, how old is he? Has the vet been treating his abscess, if so, how?

Have you bathed him in diluted Betadine and then cleaned the areas with either witch hazel or tea tree oil? I'm not really familiar with Tinactin but have heard of very good results with Lamasil instead when used daily.

What are you using for a substrate? How is the humidity level in his tank? Does he have a water dish in the tank or bathe in his tank causing moist conditions? What are the tank temps?

Addicted

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is about a year old,on reptile carpet.He was on dirt but when the illness hit i simplified the cage.He has a range of temps from 75-150,with the latter temps being just surface temps.The abscess was treated with anti biotics,and it worked for about a week.The huge scab fell off and i thought things were good,but it just got worse.I gave up the beta dine as per request of my vet,he thought it may do no good.

Jason.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow, 150 degrees, that seems extreme. Did you have him seen by the vet after the scab fell off and it became worse? How long did you do the diluted Betadine baths? Were you cleaning the areas with witch hazel or tea tree oil after bathing in the Betadine? The antifungal should also be used daily rather than every other day. With fungus, you really need to treat it aggressively with the Betadine, witch hazel or tee tree oil and also use an antifungal cream like Lamasil daily or it will continue to spread. How long has it been since he was on the antibiotic for the parasites? Did you give a probiotic during that time? Do you have water in the tank that he has been sitting in and/or splashing around on the reptile carpet? What is the humidity level in the tank?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
I am sorry to hear about your beardie.Please dont consider at home euthanasia as he still has a chance and it should be done at a vet anyway.You have to follow a strict daily routine as Diamc said with a betadine bath,witsh hazel or tee tree oil for astringent and Lamisil everyday.The bath can and should be done at least 2 times a day of possible if the fungus is severe as it seems to be.The tinactin isnt going to do it.It is an antifungal but its not as good as the lamisil.Also if you have not done so please get rid of the dirt the fungus will not clear up unless you have him in a hospital tank with a solid cleanable or disposable substrate like papertowels or tile.The temps need to be brought down and if I remeber correctly did we discuss humidity and temp issues a while back?I think we may have but either way that mouth rot and the fungus are signs of a very humid environment and no amount of high temps is going to balance that out.I think if you make these changes it will make a big differance and also it would be a good idea to get him on a probiotic as well to help with the internal issues that these type of infections cause.

Addicted

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will get some pics up of him tomorrow.The environmental conditions have nothing to do with his current condition now,he is just the one un lucky herp that i own.I will start the regimen tomorrow also,but i have my doubts as to the likelihood of his survival.

Thanks,Talk tomorrow.

Jason.

Addicted

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok,i just took some pics of him.He looks way worse in person.

sickbd001.jpg

sickbd002.jpg

sickbd003.jpg

sickbd004.jpg

sickbd004.jpg

Jason.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Jason
I am sorry and I dont want to push but I have to say it then it wont be mentioned again.The environmental conditions have everything to do with it, these are the exact issues that come from humid husbandry and what harm would it do just to give our method a try to see if it helps?As you said you dont think he will make it so why not try everything you can?
The best I can tell you to do is to follow the treatment method we gave you everyday and hopefully you will see an improvement but it wont be without some effort.When was the last time the vet saw him?He may need some meds or an AVI booster as well for the internal issues that go along with this type of infection.

Addicted

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has been off dirt for a while now,so that has absolutely nothing to do with it.I put him on carpet a long while ago.He was at the vet about three weeks ago,maybe just a little longer.I'm not going to get in to a husbandry debate,but if you can help me get him better That's great.

Jason.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
I think you really need an AVI booster for his immune system but if you cant get him to the vet then you could try repta-aid or benebac to help get the gut flora in check and boost his system.What your going to want to do daily is clean the area with an astingent(i prefer witch hazel/absolutely NO peroxide),then soak him for 20 minutes in a bath with betadine diluted so it looks like a weak tea color,then apply cream lamisil directly on the area after drying him off.Its best to start him in the bath with just water first in case he wants to drink then add the betadine.If you dont go with the benebac then I recommend getting him on some SOY yogurt.This type of issue always rund internally as well so he has to be treated in and out.Is he eating at all?Did the vet do a culture of the area?

Addicted

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
What is an Avi booster?,I have no p[roblem going to the vet,i will if it will help.He got his appetite back as soon as the treatment for internal parasites was done,He Eats like a pig.Remember he was a petco beardie that was unknown to me un healthy from the get go.The vet did not do a culture.

This is the exact reason i will always make sure in the future that i buy an animal from someone i know the reputation of,petco sucks,they sold me a sick animal.

Jason.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Sorry I refer to it as an AVI booster because its commonly used for birds but basically its an immune booster.His body is fighting hard and he needs to strengthen his immune system which is another reason I recommended the probiotic as well.The stronger he is on the inside the better the outcome will be.You may want to ask the vet to do a culture to determine the exact type of fungal although I am betting its yellow fungus I am concerned there may be more to it.It looks abscessed(best way I can describe it).

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Also i didnt see anyone correct your temps basking should be 100f to 105f and cool side should be between 80f to 85f. No night time heat if your home stays above 65f.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom