Need Help with PETCO petition ..UPDATE new problems!10/21/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I bought my bearded dragon from Petco 2 years ago and he was perfectly healthy. My first beardie on the other hand I bought from a Petland before I knew the horrible reputation they had. After a downhill struggle of 6 months he died.

I now work at Petco. And although our setups may not be even close to the best, I assure you that we do take the best possible care of them we can. And change the things that we can change. Corporate policy is a nasty thing. These baby beardies go like hotcakes, so at least know they aren't in those cages for very long.

It really does make me feel guilty and horrible when i read things like this about a company I work for. And I know that not every store is the same, but I try to do the best by the babies as I personally can. So do many of my coworkers. We do care about the animals, that is why we work there cause we sure as hell dont get very good pay! haha.

But just so you know, as a manager, I too have tried to talk to corporate about putting carpet in there for them...they just dont budge. Good luck with your petition. Not all Petco's are so bad though...I swear.

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
atreyu917":e8be0 said:
I now work at Petco. And although our setups may not be even close to the best, I assure you that we do take the best possible care of them we can. And change the things that we can change. Corporate policy is a nasty thing. These baby beardies go like hotcakes, so at least know they aren't in those cages for very long.

It really does make me feel guilty and horrible when i read things like this about a company I work for. And I know that not every store is the same, but I try to do the best by the babies as I personally can. So do many of my coworkers. We do care about the animals, that is why we work there cause we sure as hell dont get very good pay! haha.

But just so you know, as a manager, I too have tried to talk to corporate about putting carpet in there for them...they just dont budge. Good luck with your petition. Not all Petco's are so bad though...I swear.

I know you work in a job you may hate at times, but the love of the animals keeps you there, and employees like you DO make a difference, even if the change is not yet permanently for the good! I worked retail a number of years, (not a pet store) low pay, but I knew and loved the subject, and cared about the other employees and my customers. You sound like you have that same dedication. The Petco nearest me, has gone through numerous employees, some indifferent, but some very good, and at one point they actually had paper towel in the tanks, instead of Calci-death! :D Unfortunately, Corporate insisted on maintaining their policy, and they had to change back to the sand. :evil: One of the problems with corporate policies is that some "product placement" is dictated by contracts with suppliers, i.e., the maker of Calci-death may pay to have their product placed in tanks as "advertising" for their product. The uneducated beardie customer comes in, "It looks so nice! Can we get some of that?" And the misseducated employee will say "Sure!" :puke: In our store, we had to rack specific product to meet the suppliers demands, regardless of what we thought of it, and a rep would come in and document what each store was doing with their product. I imagine it is the same in the Petco/Petsmart type of pet stores. I suspect the largest part of their continued reliance on bad products is based in these type of agreements. After the Petco petition, maybe we should start on some of the suppliers! And good luck with everything at Petco!

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I know you work in a job you may hate at times, but the love of the animals keeps you there, and employees like you DO make a difference, even if the change is not yet permanently for the good! I worked retail a number of years, (not a pet store) low pay, but I knew and loved the subject, and cared about the other employees and my customers. You sound like you have that same dedication. The Petco nearest me, has gone through numerous employees, some indifferent, but some very good, and at one point they actually had paper towel in the tanks, instead of Calci-death! :D Unfortunately, Corporate insisted on maintaining their policy, and they had to change back to the sand. :evil: One of the problems with corporate policies is that some "product placement" is dictated by contracts with suppliers, i.e., the maker of Calci-death may pay to have their product placed in tanks as "advertising" for their product. The uneducated beardie customer comes in, "It looks so nice! Can we get some of that?" And the misseducated employee will say "Sure!" :puke: In our store, we had to rack specific product to meet the suppliers demands, regardless of what we thought of it, and a rep would come in and document what each store was doing with their product. I imagine it is the same in the Petco/Petsmart type of pet stores. I suspect the largest part of their continued reliance on bad products is based in these type of agreements. After the Petco petition, maybe we should start on some of the suppliers! And good luck with everything at Petco!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I just hate that we cant make it a perfect living situation for them, Since this is my first retail, im just beginning to really see how much money means to these companies and it really upsets me. When i wasn't a manager i was pretty naive to it all but not anymore. I hope someone can make a change, i just dont want people to think that all people who work at pet stores are horrible. cause we do a lot of charity and around town fundraisers that i wasnt aware of until i started working there. but im almost positive you're right about the product agreements. And I completely agree the vendors should be gone after! I'm getting tired of them sending too small of baby beardies and me having to make up a slurry every time one stops eating. It would all be a lot easier on the poor babies to send them older. ANYWAYS, i hope this does make an affect on how PETCO runs....it would make all the people at my work a lot happier!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Atreyu
Dont worry this petition is really aimed at the coorporate policy not the individual employees.Unfortunately even if you know the right way your hands are bound and I am sure it is difficult on you.While I have had some bad experiences with some employees I wouldnt be honest unless I said I met just as many competant employees as well.We will keep trying to change their ways and hopefully you guys can turn the screws from inside as well.

Vicky

atreyu917

Juvie Member
I really hope this makes an impact. Many of my co-workers and I would love to see the place change for the better! With the motto being "At Petco, Animals Always Come First" they have to listen. Hopefully you can get some vets or experts in on this and have their opinion to back you up. Have you gotten anyone like that to sign yet?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
atreyu917":9031c said:
I really hope this makes an impact. Many of my co-workers and I would love to see the place change for the better! With the motto being "At Petco, Animals Always Come First" they have to listen. Hopefully you can get some vets or experts in on this and have their opinion to back you up. Have you gotten anyone like that to sign yet?
Not yet but I do have my vet on standby.He is in the process of writing a letter as well.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Guys
Just a quick update:
We are up to 196 sigs so far.Four more ans we hit the 200 mark :blob5: :blob8:

Vicky

Dragons of the Deep

Hatchling Member
Oh, that's a great idea! I'll try to get my vet to sign too . . . Hey, if a few people put something about the petition in their sigs, it might help to spread the word a little more! Just an idea . . . :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
Dragons of the deep, if you send me a picture of your bearded dragon I can make you a personalized signature for the PetCo petition. Just send me a PM with the picture and what you want :D

btw, I love what you wrote!!!!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Well If your offering your services Grixxly I will take you up on the offer :wink:

Vicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom