Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Deb just a thought but could the place you have always gotten your supers from changed suppliers?
I'm really wondering about that an what the supers were fed. How long have you had this batch of supers in your house. Long enough to have gutloaded them yourself? It's very puzzling to say the least.
So basically he's acting normal now like nothing ever happened?

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Oh goodness I am so sorry to hear Lonzo is ill. I agree I definately think something is going on with the feeders.Have you had them a while? I got a round of bad supers a long while back with Jaba and she also became quite ill from then. I would just toss them and start from scratch just to be safe.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Lonzo's home and sleepy, still with a black beard, but then he really doesn't like the vet. The last time he was there he had part of his tail taken off (last Feb/09) as he had a tail infection that was getting worse. He had the infection in his tail when we got him, it just started to travel again, so we had to get that fixed. I'm not sure if he remembers almost a year back, but he sure was happy to get home. He sat on my chest warming up for 1/2 hr after we got home. The vet wants to see him next Monday with a fresh fecal, as there wasn't much today. She just wants to double check that he's ok. We're all still puzzled as to what upset him so much that he vomited, then couldn't breath. Looks like I did the right thing this am, in holding him upside down so he could get some more stuff out of his mouth. Guess that's why he got better, but what started the whole thing is still a mystery. Roger picks out the biggest plumpest worms at the pet shop where we've been going for 4 yrs. He also picks out the palest in colour and the white ones, too. So it's hard to figure that there would be 1 bad worm in a 200 batch. There are only 2 pet shops in our area that sell worms & this one shop we go to have the best. But we'll check.

I'll keep you informed as to how he's doing. Thanks for all your concern, it makes me feel as if I belong to a large family that look out for each other.

Deb & Roger

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well, just because the worms are plump and freshly shed doesn't mean they're not loaded with "yucky" stuff (easiest way to group all of the nasties). Also, the store could've received a bad batch of worms from their supplier (unless they breed their own).

I'm so glad that Lonzo is home and ok. Give him a big hug for me when he wakes up tomorrow.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I just read the memorial on Izzy. I'm really sad that she's gone, it's really strange that she went soo suddenly. I enjoyed all those pics all in one place. It helps us to remember how she was.

Again, I'm sorry she died. Maybe she's made friends with Redrock.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Lori that was sweet of you to read Issy's memorial, it was difficult to put together but helped me realize she was a really special beardie. I'm sure she's with Redrock and Miss Y & Miss O. And all the other beardies that have passed away.

It is such a relief to have Lonzo home, I keep looking at him to make sure he's breathing, I'm going to be paranoid for awhile.

I keep checking the other three during the eve and before I go to bed, guess it's just a normal phase, Roger's being very patient with me, even on the way home I had to check Lonzo every second I held him, just to make sure he was breathing.

I guess I'll feel better tomorrow am when I see him up and around as normal.

As far as the feeders, I'll ask Roger to check with the pet shop owner. I know what you mean, it would only take 1 bad worm, but seems so wierd that Sweetie, Rubio and Leo are find & they eat at least 5 worms a day, Sweetie more after she's laid a clutch.

Lonzo goes back to the vet next Monday, hopefully he has a healthy week. :D

Deb

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
He's not feeling all that well, that was alot of stress yesterday, we guess. He looks tired and his mouth is open a bit. His mouth is shedding, and I think his throat hurts. I thinks it's going to take a few days for him to feel better. He looks worn out. So he can sleep all he wants today. I'm not giving him a bath, as he finds them a bit stressful, I'm just putting water on his shedding parts (back leg & vent area, mouth and two hands). So we're just going to keep him quiet. I'll give an update when I get home from work later this eve. Roger will keep in touch with me during the day.

Deb

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Poor Lonzo :(
Did he want any breakfast this morning? Or did he just want to hide away and sleep?

Hope he'll be back to his ol' self soon.

puffsmama

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Deb--

I just went and looked at Issy's memorial...it is beautiful!!!! I can only imagine how hard it was for you to put that all together. She was truly a special little girl!!! I am so sorry she had to leave you so soon!!! Again--know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and I share in your grief and sadness. She will truly be missed.
Now for Lonzo...
Listen here Mr. Lonzo...your mommy and daddy love you, and we all love you too, so you have to get better and you have to stop scaring us all, ok!!? You, dear Lonzo, will be in mine and Kiera's thoughts and prayers too, so please feel better, ok, mister!?
Hugs from Kiera and Cindy

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Kiera and Cindy,

Thanks for the nice words about Issy, it was hard to put the memorial together but I got to see how much she was really cared for. We're still not sure what happened to her, we're just glad that Lonzo's still in 1 piece. There was alot of noise in our courtyard today, too, which he hates, so he spent the day in his tank & I know he went to bed really early. I think he'll be sleeping for a couple of days, that's normally how he de-stresses. Lots of cuddles, too, poor guy. I'll be home for the next two days (I have some appointments), so Lonzo will be getting the full treatment. If he still doesn't have an appetite, I'll pull out babyfood, but that's only the last resort.

I'll be giving him big hugs tomorrow; yesterday I held him home from the vet, then just decided to hold onto him a bit longer, he was just so tired. Poor guy, he really doesn't like our vet, even though she's very gentle with him. Hopefully in a couple of days he'll be running around the computer room again. I'll keep you all posted.

Deb

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Deb
I just now got to read the memorial, it was beautiful and you did a marvelous job at prtraying what a wonderful little beardie she was. I am sure it was very difficult for you but she would be proud!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Deb, I forgot to mention something. While I was looking at Issy's memorial my husband was sitting behind me and read it with me. He, until that point, was unaware of her death. He greaves with you at her loss as do I. You all have had a really tough time with beardie losses. I know how that can freak you out. You get to wondering what you are doing wrong to loose beardies soo often. We have never had one beardie for 2 years yet. The first two I understand because we knew nothing about beardies at that point. Redrock was a freak accident, we had her for one year and 11 months. Sandstone we don't mention much we only had him/her (not really sure what sex) for 4 months. All that makes us worry about what's going to happen this summer to one of our current girls. All we can do is be thankful for them and enjoy the time we are given with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom