Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:


Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, Freya's leg healed just fine, her bones looked really healthy on the xray. I took in Castiel's poop and he's on the same med as Freya, so they both get it the same days, so that's easy to remember.

I'm not sure if Freya will make the eggs or not, they were just nubs on the follicles when we looked at them. She's not been with any of my boys, she's never with any of the others, she even gets her bath alone. So there was never an opportunity, so they'll be infertile, if she does get them to mature. I always have the laybox ready in Feb and it stays there until they're all asleep.

There's always something else to figure out with my crew, but at the moment, except the meds for Freya and Castiel, they're all healthy.

Gabriel makes me laugh, he was sporting a black beard yesterday until I picked him up and it turned tangerine, so guess the black beard is just for effect these days, to get my attention.

I'm gradually getting back to work and see my doc on Friday, my skin still hurts, in fact I got woken up on 3a Monday because my skin hurt from head to toe, it was unbearable, so took a pain pill and tosses and turned until it was time to walk Bella.

So working 12-4 Wed and Thurs and 4-8 Friday to see how I manage. I just CAN'T WAIT until retirement. Dec 1/2020. I told my son the minute I'm retired, I'll be doing after school care with the kids so he can find a full time job. He really wants to work but he can't give up primary guardianship, if Tara gets that, he'll never know what his kids are up to. So he's sticking to staying home for now. I told him he could always get a part time job on Saturdays, 4 pays a month would help. So we'll see what happens.

Bella is doing great since she was spayed. She's all healed up now so no more cone (she had to wear it for a month after the spay as every time I took it off, she licked herself red and back to the vet. So 4 weeks of different creams and antibiotics and she's doing really well. She's a bit more aggresive sometimes, but I'm trying to get her out of that.

Saw the physio today, my shoulders are starting to turn inwards, but she did alot of stretching and they already feel better. So I see her in a couple of weeks, have to figure out time. It's good that I can book online, too, so can see her schedule and figure out a good time for me. I have 2 vacation days that will be returned to me, so can use 4 1/2 days for that.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much! He really is a fighter, the aneurysm is gone now and he's not bleeding from his mouth anymore either. He just ate 15 worms and is basking. He's really active in his tank, more than on the living room floor. He's pooping regularly, given water between baths and has gained some weight. He will always be my miracle dragon, from the time I rescued him in Apr/12. He's 7 1/2 now and I'm hoping that I'll have alot of years left with him.


Gray-bearded Member
It would probably be easier on Freya if she reabsorbed the eggs, but I guess her body's going to do whatever her body's going to do, and you don't get to decide. At least you know what's going on and you're ready for whatever.

It sounds like Gabriel's black beard was just his way of saying, "If you don't pick me up and cuddle me, I am going to be very VERY angry." :lol:

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Yes, to Freya, exactly. So far nothing is happening but she's black bearding the boys now, not low bowing, so maybe the love has run off.... :lol:

As for Gabriel, he sports that black beard all the time, yet seems fine with it. Changes immediately to tangerine when I pick him up, which I don't do enough. He will forever be my miracle dragon. Every day is an added blessing.

Sue, I just posted on your thread!

I'll check in later, I have to get dragon stuff done, plus get to blood tests at 12:10. My wonderful body has come up with another auto immune disease, possibly, called Polymyalgia arthritica. Makes my skin really hurt badly from head to toe and every inch in between. My doc put me on Prednisone last Friday, 20 mg every night. Even thought it got rid of my pain, as long as I keep taking it daily the pain stays away. But my blood sugar this am was twice normal, which is what it does. It also cause heart issues, so I don't want to stay on it long and need to find something else that won't hurt me but keep it under control. So blood test today, doctor on Tuesday, breathing test and physio on Wed and Thursday I start 1/2 days at work. Have to get back soon or my income goes down 25%, which is significant on one income.

I'll keep you posted and also have some pics to post, but after I'm done my chores and blood testing. Last this afternoon, hopefully.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So my dad had two big strokes since May 24 (his 91st birthday) and is now in a wonderful hospice beside the hospital he was in. He can't move much, just his hands and eyes, but he knows us. I even got my son over the day Dad was moved, so he has a big private room with a patio; a small fridge so we can bring food in and eat while we're there (he can't swallow anymore so we keep his lips well hydrated and clean his eyes) My mom is there in the morning and we are in and out every day. My two nephews, 12 and 17, came on Wednesday night, which was nice, but the 12 yr old was uncomfortable. So my sis and mom took the boys to the living room area where a table is set up for perpetual puzzles and they spend time there. The whole place is wonderful, only 10 rooms, nurses 24/7 and over 100 volunteers that do everything. Therapy dogs and I can bring my own dog in. My youngest brother & his family (wife and 2 boys) brought their dog on Wed night, too. I can bring my grandkids over, too, if I want, there's a big family room for kids to play in. We'll see about that anyway.

My dad seems to love having us all over talking about all sorts of stuff, holding his hand, smoothing his brow. He sleeps on and off but when he's awake we know he's there and can hear us. He's been trying to talk, but that part was taken by the stroke, so we can't understand him, but it doesn't matter, he's focused on us, which I think is helping. We could visibly see my mom unstress when they moved him and was thrilled that he was wearing a gold shirt in bed, not a gown. No one wears a gown in this hospice. Best thing that ever happened and I think my mom is being charged $49/day for his care. We're very blessed we have a space to be with Dad that is stress free, quiet and welcoming to families.

I haven't been caring that well for the dragons, being out alot of the time, so have to give them baths. I'm home until Sunday, have a swollen trachea, but not contagious and should be gone in a couple of days. Voice is getting a bit better. So I'll go back on Sunday and most days next week, then back to work full time on June 18, regardless.

My doc also thinks I have Polymyalgia rheumatica. it's sort of like fibromyalgia but it's the muscles under the skin that inflame causing the skin to be very painful from head to toe. Started about 5 weeks ago. I have to take 20 mg of prednisone, which puts my blood sugar up 5x normal the next morning. So I've been taking the 20 mg, then next night 15mg, then I don't take anymore until I get the flare again, so far it's only once a week so far. I'm also taking extra diabetic meds to help reduce the spike. I see my doc next week and have heard from an internist, but difficult to get contact, as we're playing telephone tag.

I have pics of my dragons to post and will this weekend.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So my dad passed away peacefully on Friday morning, when a nurse was washing his face. He was in the beautiful hospice beside the local hospital for 12 days, so we had alot of time to visit. My mom was there, holding his hand, from the day he fell, May 22. then he had 2 bad strokes over the next week and then to hospice when we realized he wouldn't survive them. He reached his 91st birthday and I have his obit and me and my sibs with Mom adding her comments, on Sat and Monday, so it's ready to be put into the local paper soon.

May 24, 1927-June 15, 2018

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, uncle, grandfather, great grandfather and friend.
Hugh leaves his loving wife of 63 years Wilma, his children Deb, Gail (Ian), Richard, David (Annika); his six grandchildren, Eric (Traci), Tehya (Cole), Emily, Carly, Cole and Ryder and three great-grandchildren, Leo, Safara and Ramona.
He and Wilma brought their family from Montreal to Tsawwassen in 1979 where they started and ran Wilmount Engineering, an electrical equipment sales business.
Dad was devoted to family, work and golf. He led by example and appreciated honesty, integrity and hard work. He was a straight shooter in personal relationships, business and golf.
He was a proud member of Beach Grove Golf Club for 35 years. His only regret in life may have been only scoring a single hole-in-one.

There will be a celebration of Hugh’s life at a future date.

In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to the Irene Thomas Hospice in Ladner, BC

I will always miss my dad :love5:

On the dragon side, Gabriel, I think, has a respiratory infection, he's to the vet tomorrow at 11:30 am so I'll post when we get home. Luckily I got a loan on the weekend, so have funds to take him to the vet right away. Good timing.

Freya is a ferocious as ever and has turned into quite the housekeeper, I have pics that I haven't had a change to load, so once I do that I'll post them. She hates her sister, will attack her if they're on the floor together, she cracks me up. And she hasn't stopped flirting with any of the boys when they're on the ramp, she can see through the corner of her tank to anyone on the ramp. When Cierra is on the ramp, Freya black beards and bobs :lol:

Castiel is in his 2nd week of brumation, already. he did a big poop so I let him sleep, I'll get him up in another week for a long soak. The others are quiet, so will be sleeping soon. I don't think Freya will brumate this winter, but then she constantly surprises me, so we'll see. Cierra is still eating so probably won't go down until August, as usual. Nathaniel normally goes down in July, so we'll see what he does. Soon I'll have only Gabriel and possibly Freya for the winter...

i'm still trying to get back to work, this polymyalgia rheumatica is really awful, flares are very painful and I'm stuck using Prednisone to get rid of the pain. I have an appointment with an internist on July 16, but that's a month away. So hopefully they'll figure out how to get rid of the darned thing. I sure didn't need another auto-immune disease, so that's my gripe for the day.

CooperDragon Sicko
Staff member
I'm saddened to read about your dad as well. I'm glad he was able to spend time in a good hospice and you had lots of time to visit him. I hope the doctor is able to help you during your visit and you feel better soon.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks so much for your good wishes. Now to find out more about this poly thing that hurts when it flares. I might have had this for years and not known it.

Having my dad in the hospice was the best thing we could do, he was much less stressed and so was my mom. Our next step, besides made sure mom is taken care of, but everything is in place to transfer to her name only, is for the Celebration of my dad's Life on July 21 at his golf course. That is going to be a huge party and everyone that we know here on the west coast will be there. My dad lived 91 good years and it's time to celebrate that. He was much loved by our whole family and took great care of my mom and us kids. Then grandkids and great-grandkids.

I'm off to take Gabriel to the vet soon, he was full of energy this am and ran across the living room, he's also shedding for the first time in over 3 years. So I'm hoping good news and if he has it, that it's mild. He still had foam coming out of the side of his mouth. I'll keep you posted.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So I was right and Gabriel has the very beginning of an ri. He has shots, 1 every 3 days, for 30 days. We go back on Sat July 7th to see how he's doing. He had alot of admirers at the vet and it's good to know there is a good exotic vet not that far away. My vet is semi-retired, she's been my vet for 12 years and I'm sure going to miss her. Right now she works only on Wednesdays, which are my days off when I'm working, so that'll work until she goes fully, then I'll move to the one I went to today. I really liked the vet, she had alot of education in exotics, which was reassuring. And she knew her way around dragons, which was also great. Plus she's young, so may not want to leave any time soon. Plus easy to get to, even though a longer drive then my current vet, but seeing as the only other one was more than an hour away, it's reassuring to know there's one 1/2 hr away and a good vet.


Gray-bearded Member
Sorry to hear about your dad, but it sounds like the family handled it the best way they could, and you all got to visit him and say "goodbye." I know you'll miss him, but I'm glad you were able to find a good place for him to be well taken care of when he needed it, and it sounds like he had a good long life. The "celebration" sounds like a good idea.

Also glad to hear you found another good vet now that your other one is retiring. I hope Gabriel will have a good recovery now that he's getting meds for it.

Puff is improving too -- still eating like a trooper, putting some weight back on, and best of all, his hematocrit is back up in the normal range. :blob5: So we're going to keep doing what we're doing, and he has another follow up appointment with the vet in late July.

Thanks for all the info and links to other websites. Interesting articles and stuff. Hopefully they'll find a cure for this thing one of these days, and one that isn't worse than the disease, or at least get the epidemic under control.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So update on Gabriel. I took him back to my vet two weeks ago and she did an xray and found fluid around his heart, this would be why the last 2 months of antibiotics didn't do him any good. So now I infect the heart meds in 8 worms daily and the new antibiotic for the RI is also injected into a work every 3 days. He gobbles down those worms as if he's starving, so he's getting his meds. He had a poop yesterday that had a huge pool of water, so I think those heart meds are working. I'll know more on Wed when I take hm back to the vet and probably another xray. I'm really hoping those work, so the new RI meds will work, too. Doesn't help that we're covered in smoke from the over 500 wildfires in BC, nothing too close to use, but the closest town that's burning is Hope and that's a 6 hours drive east from us. So our sun is red and so is the moon. I'm hoping there will be a big wind because it has to move. Everything has a red cast to it and babies and seniors are being asked to stay inside until the smoke dissipates. No strenuous outdoor activities is requested.

I had my grandkids with me yesterday for 5 hours, we spent 3 hours outside in our huge Queen's Park, there's a petting zoo and a huge playground with water features. So they had a ball and fell asleep going home.

Today I try to get back to work, doing 4 hours. The internist I'm seeing says I don't have polymyalgia, probably long term fibro, but I'm hardly getting any flares now and feel much better so after more than 3 months off, I'm finally well enough to start back. It helps that 3 of my dragons are sleeping, so only have Gabriel and Freya to take care of. Makes it easier to get to work!

I have lots of pictures, so will post them soon, as I have to get ready to take Bella out and get ready for work, but will be home later and will post pictures.
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

So to any reading this, how on earth do I post a thread 😅 New here, possibly too old for this

Just Hazel in a filter I need so not posting on forums.
On a quest for pristine beats, I struck gold during a casual coffee shop jam session. The music maestro there ushered me to VOLUMO — New generation electronic music store for pro DJs. Revel in its vast array of tracks and rejuvenate your playlists!
I have questions about bubbles on our bearded dragons eye.

So he’s gotten bubbles on his eye. We wiped them off and it’s only been twice in the last few weeks. Should we be concerned? No coughing or congestion. He’s very hungry and sleeps well. He’s 8-9 month range. His humidity is 30-40 day time and as high as 50-55 at night to early morning.
Should we be concerned?

Forum statistics

Latest member
Top Bottom