Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:


Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Kami, Broly is going to be 3? Wow time sure goes fast!

I have no idea what was wrong with him, he was fine a week ago, but I noticed on Friday he had a very stinky black poop. He's done that before without issue, so I cleaned him up and gave him a pedialyte bath and made the mix for him. On Saturday I was out a good part of the day and when I got home, he had a black beard. That was a bit concerning because he sported it all night. So Sunday was the same, I gave him 2 pedialyte baths and he seemed to perk up. But Monday am, he was not well at all. Called the vet, no reptile vet until Tuesday, but he went downhill so fast on Monday, that he died in my arms at 10:50 that night. Bella was at the vet getting her teeth cleaned and had 2 extractions, so I had all day with Imp. I just put him down when I brought Bella home. So have no idea what went wrong, but I really think he had a weakness in his digestive system and it got the better of him.

I found a place very close by where I can bury him and he'll be protected. He'll be right beside my four girls that I lost years ago, Sweetie (my first beardie rescue), Loish, Issy and Angel. So long ago but at least I know they're safe.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Even though I swore that I'd never get another dragon, my friend had to rehome her 5 mo old girl Freya and I couldn't resist her. So here are pics when she first arrived last Monday, then since Wednesday.

Coming home the first day:

What Imps tank now looks like for Freya

Sitting on a beardie bench waiting for her bath

Swimming in Imp's old tub:

basking after bath with a little black beard:

Last Wednesday we did alot of things!

Alot has happened in the last week. My dad had a stroke but it only affected his speech centre. Nothing else was affected at all. He went directly to a city hospital with a neurology ICU. My dad stayed there for 2 days, moved Sunday to a 2 person ward. He did so well this week, (he's 90 but has a strong immune system) that he's been moved to a local hotel to my mom, so she can stop staying at my sisters and she can drive over when she wants to. It's much better for her, she's 82 and a nervous driver, so being over in daylight is easier for her. Plus she's so worn out from the whole stroke/healing time. I'm going over tomorrow after noon.

My niece had her baby girl last Monday at 6am. After 22 hours of labour and 27 days born early, she was almost 7 lbs. Had jaundice, so after going home from hospital on Thursday night, they go in daily for her light sessions. No name yet, she was a bit early LOL. She is a beauty, even at at day old. I haven't seen her yet and my sister came down with the flu (her daughter/granddaughter) so hasn't seen her since Thursday. She is sooo cute.

Plus Freya and working made a long week. So now I have most of the morning off before going to get my car and my grandkids came to visit with my son on Wed, my day off. Eric walked Bella and the kids played with me with their mom's Xmas presents. Those come here so they have toys to play with when they visit. Plus my granddaughter has her small kitchen in my dining room, so she plays with that for hours. She got a bag of "food" and has cups and saucers that came with Belle. Leo brought two ninga turtle vehicles, so we made those up and he played with them for hours :D It was alot of fun.

Safara standing in front of her kitchen
Safara showing off mom's Christmas presents.
Leo playing with his lego

And last but not least, Nathaniel and Gabriel in the kitchen waiting for baths, they are just too funny :laughhard:


This goes on all the time when I'm giving them their baths at the same time. They both love to swim so stay in their baths up to 25 min sometimes. Gabriel still amazes me. He wakes up sometimes with his light orange beard and walks to the ramp, no problem. Other days, he just doesn't want to dragon, he wants to destroy his tank instead :mrgreen: :roll:


Gray-bearded Member
Well Deb, I hate to say this, but I'm afraid you may be just destined to be a beardie slave for the rest of your life, although I can't say that I blame you. She's sooooo cute. :love10:

I don't know if you saw my post on my Puff H Bailey thread, but I have had to back away from for a while due to family issues. For one, my father-in-law is in a coma in a nursing home down in Homer, near death. My husband is flying down there on Monday (state holiday and they're short handed at his office). We called yesterday, and the nursing home staff thinks he might not last until then, but my husband can't get an earlier flight at this time, so I had to be the one to say goodbye to him over the phone. My husband's voice is very low pitched and soft, and it was thought that he would better be able to hear my voice. So the nurse held the phone up to his ear and I told him who I was, and that we loved him, and that his son was coming to visit day after tomorrow, but that if he was hurting and needed to go, that was ok too. We were afraid that he was hanging on just to see his son one last time -- my husband is his only child.

So I had a dream in the middle of the night and I can't go back to sleep, so I decided to catch up on some of the threads I'd been following that I haven't been able to keep up with lately. I'm also keeping a vigil -- the nursing home has our email addresses and I have a feeling that if he does die in the middle of the night with a phone call, they may choose to email us rather than wake us up in the middle of the night, since there's nothing we can do until morning anyway... :cry:

There's also some stuff going on with my sisters and a niece that's too complicated to explain, but suffice it to say that we have that added into the mix. Troubles always seem to come in bunches.

I see it's a similar situation at your end, but I'm glad to hear that your niece had a healthy baby. I understand that jaundice is fairly common in newborns, especially if they're a little premature, and not necessarily anything serious -- or at least I hope.

It's so ironic that Imp just up and died suddenly, and Gabriel is still alive. You just never know.

Enjoy the latest addition to your beardie family, as well as the latest addition to your human family. :)

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm sorry you're having the drama in your home right now. And so sorry to hear about your f-i-l, that's such a sad thing to deal with. I'm glad your hubby is able to get there.

My son has been approved for a gov't program for adults with children. It's available for all parents and goes by your family income. Eric's claim will back date to May (they don't pay the first month) and then he'll get a monthly income. He's also in court and doing a Separation with kids course that is mandatory for anyone going through court re: separation/divorce and kid custoday. So he's requesting full legal custody of both kis. Because he doesn't have a lawyer, he'll be appointed one by the court, but you can see a family lawyer for free for 1/2 hr consultation, he thinks, as he wants to know some particulars. He also has to protect his kids from their mom, as he's afraid she'll take them out of spite. She ahd the gov't funds when she had both kids during the week. When she gave them to Eric, she kept getting the $ by calling the office and stating they both had 1 kid. Meanwhile he's applying for two. He found out by accident that she'd been getting it all along, so blocking his application. He finally got everything he needed but before he did that he called and reported her, as that's fraud against the Federal Gov't and you don't want to do that. So they're going to court but now that he's been improved and going to be paid, she's in a world of hurt because it's fraud. She'll be charged with that & they' will go after her for every penny, plus penalties, interest and fines. Oh well, too back, I told my son that in doing that she put her children in danger. If Eric hadn't had Traci his girlfriend and my family, he would have been living on the streets with a 2 and 3 yr old. Now they're 3 and 4 and really starting to enjoy life. Eric wants to get them into sports for Leo, he's a natural, and dance for Safara because she dances ballet at home all the time. So we'll see how it goes. My son is a very good mommy/daddy and had bad knees so hard to find work when your right knee blows up all the time. Severe bursitis and something that's grinding. So he decided he had to man up and get to the doctor and get tests done. We'll see if he really does, but he needs to.

My dad got moved to the local hospital my mom was hoping so she could just drive back and forth, he was moved Friday night, so she was able to go home on Friday (she's been staying at my sister's) and drove over yesterday in the light & went home when it was light, too. It's starting to get lighter later in the day now.

I'm knitting a sweater set for my niece, but I think it might be too small for her, she looks really big! But I'll make it anyway, I'm 1/2 way through and make her a bigger one after this one is finished. I wasn't expecting to have it done until Feb 3, her due date, so will try to get it done asap. Hard when working my hours, I don't get home until 9p from work, then walk Bella and go to bed, still gives me an hour. I'm an expert knitter since I was young, but my bad shoulders made me stop. But if I sit a certain way with pillows to rest my elbows on, I can knit pretty good, just not for very long. I used to knit for hours as knit for my family for Xmas gifts yeary when I lived in Montreal and they were in southern BC. Now I've been here for 30 years, time has gone so fast!

So my son has decided to get Leo, he's 4, into soccer and T-ball. And Safara into some sort of dancing, she dances her version of ballet all the time. I'm really pleased because Leo has alot of energy, he's strong and really big for a 4 year old. He's a natural runner, like my kid, and plays soccer by himself in the park. Plus he loves baseball and Eric played for 7 years. So another thing they have in common. Safara is the ultimate princess girl, just like her mother, but she's a sweetheart and we're going to make sure she stays that way. Her mom has a severe mental illness that's getting worse, she lives in her own bubble. Eric is very afriad she'd take the kids if she had visitation rights & wants her assessed by the courts when it comes to child visitation. She didn't even go to her parents house when the kids where there for Xmas, she was invited to dinner but said she was busy. What kind of mother does that. Then she wanted Eric to meet her at 8a on Xmas morning, like that's going to happen. So that's what he's been dealing with at this point. She did make it to court at 9:30 Tues am but it took Eric to get the court decreed paperwork to her, he tracked her down to her Doc appoint a Friday ago and she gave the kids gifts then, plus he gave her the summons. So Mom's gifts come over to my house so they have toys to play with & so dad doesn't have to see them. He doesn't like her choice of gifts alot of the time so the worst go into the garbage (she sent Safara perfume and paint on makeup. Safara is 3 so that went into the garbage.
Tara, the ex, really is whacky and hard to understand.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Awww, thanks. Freya ate tons today but no poop this am. I know she's not getting enough heat, so ordering her a 100W Arcadia when I get the funds from my son on Friday am.

And Castiel is UP. He ate lots this am, too. At least Freya eats her greens, but my boys just won't unless I feed them, silly boys. So they're getting a bit of outside time and I'm supposed to be off on Thursday and 1/2 day on Friday, looking forward to that.

My new grandniece is doing very well, eating every 2-3 hours, so Tehya & Cole are napping as often as she is. Her name is Ramona Zadie, pretty name for a pretty girl. Can't wait to see her, not sure when. Hopefully soon!


Gray-bearded Member
So it sounds like the drama level in your family is way above mine. Hopefully Safara didn't inherit too many of her mother's "crazy" genes, but even if she did, you may be able to mitigate it by keeping her in a good healthy family environment, since they say that "genes load the gun, but environment pulls the trigger."

Trying to knit a sweater for a growing child would be a heck of a game of catch-up -- do you know how to crochet? Because then you could crochet her a poncho or a shawl, and when she outgrows it you can just add more onto the bottom. I also know the basics of knitting, but as I've gotten older I've found that crocheting is easier on my body because you just have the hook with a few loops on it at a time, instead of the long knitting needles with all the stitches on them at once. I've also played around with the round looms with the pegs for making hats -- Some people say that's kid's stuff and not "real" knitting, but what the heck -- I'm not trying to prove anything.

Sounds like you're doing your best to get Freya all settled in with everything she needs. And happy "spring" to Castiel. And don't feel too bad about the greens -- Puff won't eat them either unless we slip them in his mouth while he's chewing on a bug or drinking water. I still put a little salad in his tank every day, just in case he takes a notion, but he almost always ignores it. You're lucky you've got at least one beardie who eats her greens all by herself. :wink:

I'm glad to hear that your grandniece is doing well, and you're right - that's a pretty name.

My father in law went to what the nursing home staff called "the big bird watching place in the sky" a little over a week ago now -- a bit more about that on my "Puff H. Bailey" thread. He was a wildlife biologist and birds were his favorite specialty. Even with the dementia, he could still spot birds out the window, identify the species, and rattle off (or at least mumble) the scientific names. We'll miss him, but at least he's not suffering anymore.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
So it's been a yucky 2 weeks, grass is now growing out here because it's been so mild and rainy and my allergies have come back full force, so have been off work cough for last 2 weeks. Started antihistamines right away and puffers and now coughing less, but still some. Worked 1/2 day Friday and trying full day tomorrow. Want to be back full time. I'm tired of being sick.

My dad is home and doing better than he was the week before. It will be a long road before he gets his full speech and memory back. He's at least able to read and comprehend what he's reading, but he still gets confused over simple things. My sis and I are trying to get my mom to have someone come in once or twice a week to take care of dad while she goes out, shopping, whatever, just to have some time on her own. We'll see how that goes.

On Monday, Jan 8, Ramona Zaidie, my new great niece, was born. She was 27 days early and almost 7 lbs, fully formed and full lung capacity. She had jaundice, but that's not unusual. So here are some pics of her, with her parents and her grandparents (my sis was taking pics so isn't among them. Will have to get her to get a pic taken for me, as I haven't met her yet.
She's lying on a blaknet my mom found in her hope chest. It was mine when I was born, 62 years ago. My mom is awesome...
And with her parents, Tehya, my niece and her partner Cole, first outing as a family on the beach in Vancouver.
With Cole's mom and dad
With Cole's and Theya's dads
I haven't met her yet, but hope to soon. I've been coughing so haven't wanted to go near her, but we're having a get together on the 17th, so if I don't see her b4 that I'll see her then. I'm hoping next weekend as it's a long weekend up here.

Freya has done so well. She went through over a week of relocation stress, but after that just bloomed. She is very feisty and just today roamed the living room, ran up and down the large cork square I have leaning against the living room wall beside the balcony door. She ran all over the living room today. I'm so proud of her, as Cierra is awake, so she had 3 large dragons staring at her the whole time and wasn't at all intimidated. She actually bobbed at them at one point :laughhard: That's my girl. She's grown an inch so is 15" long and is over 160g. She eats 11 superworms and about 10 small dubia a day, plus some greens. Plus she shed her head, beard, all 4 legs and her vent today. So that was great to see.

So this was taken today and other pictures from the last few days.
Miss new Queen of our home. Don't think Cierra is going to give up the title, but they were introduced twice and just stared at each other & then licked each other, so that was ok.

Flirting with Gabriel
Gabriel flirting back (that's paper on the other side, didn't realize she could see him)
The "don't bug me Mom, I'm driving Gabriel nuts" look

She has really become part of our home so quickly. I ordered a 100W light for her, that came in today but I'm waiting for the deep dome, as the dome I'm using is too small for a 100W, the 80W fits fine, but I prefer them all to have the deep dome, so that should be in soon.

I also ordered a new converter as the old one stopped working 2 weeks ago. Had a smaller one that I used but don't think it was strong enough, so glad the new one got in earlier this week.

She lay down with me and Gabriel and slept for quite a long time:

Gabriel looking cute:

And I got a decent picture of Bella:

That\s all for tonight, I get tired easily when I'm getting used to antihistamines. I'll post more soon.


Gray-bearded Member
The new baby is adorable, and it sounds like Freya is taking over the house as "alpha beardie," that is if Cierra will let her (if she gets a choice). :lol:

Glad to hear you dad is doing better. :)

Sounds like you guys are getting an early spring. We'll still getting frozen and snowed on around here -- give it another month or two, at least.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I didn't realize it was so long since I posted. Well that little spring didn't last long, just after my Feb post we got 7" of snow so spring went away. Here we are May 1 tomorrow, and it's still very cool and overcast. Birds are out, though, they sing me to sleep and I saw a hummingbird last week in the park, so beautiful.

Freya is getting big and she still black beards and bobs when Cierra is out. I tried to get my two girls out together and Freya attacked Cierra, yet Cierra doesn't black beard back. Freya is just too funny, she thinks she is the Queen Bee :lol:

My great-niece is now almost 4 months old (May 8) and is getting really big. And there's a new baby, too, my cousin's daughter had a baby boy 2 weeks ago, he is adorable and his name is Fox. So Ramona and Fox and their moms (who grew up together with my son and my cousin's son) got together over the weekend and my sis sent me pictures. They are just adorable. My mom, dad and sis are going to my dad's physio on Wed and they'll be close to my cousin's house, so hopefully they'll get in to see baby Fox. My sis bought him a quilt that is covered in foxes, it was just serendipity that a friend of hers found the quilt, so that is going to be a gift from the whole family.

I'll post pics tomorrow, promise!


Juvie Member
We went right from winter to summer it feels like, been cold and iffy and now is gonna be in the 80's part of this week,. :shock:
Freya sounds like so much fun lol! Glad she's settled in well. And how fun about the babies!
Can't wait to see pics.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
We're having weird weather, too. Here we are May 1 and sun came out for the 2nd time in a week, so went from cold in the am when I walked Bella to hot this pm when I walked her again.

And here are the pics of my niece Tehya holding Jenny's son Fox and Jenny (my cousin's daughter) holding Tehya's daughter Ramona :D


I was so glad my cousin sent them to my whole family, they are so precious :D

Freya is going to the vet on Monday because she has a huge belly for an 8 mo old beardie and I can feel weird lumps, so vet & xray on Monday to see what's going on. She hasn't pooped for a couple of days, not even in her bath this am, which is really odd for an 8 mo old beardie. Her belly touches the ground when she walks/runs, so definitely something wrong. They'll be able to tell me right away what could be wrong.

I'm going to bring in a fecal, too, as I think she might have parasites, but not sure. She also has a hard bump underneath her left knee, so will find out what that is about, too. Going to cost me alot, but worth it. Luckily I get paid on Friday, so will have the funds to pay for the vet on Monday.


Gray-bearded Member
Your cousins and babies are adorable -- and the little ones don't seem to mind trading mommies at all. :love5:

Did you find out what's up with Freya? She's awful young for it, but after all that flirting she'd been doing with the boys, I was wondering if she might be full of eggs -- that would at least be the lesser of the evils. But whatever it is, I hope she'll be ok.

sweetiepie9 Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Sue, yes, I got Freya to the vet yesterday and she is making eggs. Got an xray that shows them and that's also why her belly is so big. The lump underneath her left knee is from a break when she was a baby that's healed but created that lump, doesn't bother her so no reason to do anything for that. My vet thinks she's older than 8 mo old and it could be as no-one knows her hatch date. So not sure if the eggs will completely form or if they will get reabsorbed, only time will tell. Strange but she won't stay under her light today at all, she's on the cool side. She hasn't shown any other signs of egg laying, having had a few females over the years, I know the signs. She & Castiel (took in a poop sample from yesterday for both of them) have worm eggs, so both on Panacur again, hopefully this time it works.

Otherwise Freya is in excellent health and has a great appetite. Which is good.


Gray-bearded Member
So the poor little thing is carrying around beardie eggs and parasite eggs at the same time? That's just too many eggs! :( At least she's healthy otherwise and still eating well. Hopefully you've got a sandbox ready for her just in case. Do you think there's any chance the eggs could be fertile? Like maybe she got together with one of the boys when you weren't looking? :?

If I remember correctly, Freya was another rescue -- do you think maybe she didn't get adequate nutrition, light, etc, before you got her so that she was smaller than she should have been for her age?

It's my understanding that bones start healing as soon as they're broken, at least in humans, so I would assume it works that way for reptiles too. The downside to that is if they don't get set correctly right away, then they don't heal properly and sometimes they have to be rebroken later in order to set them straight, so Freya's lucky that all she ended up with is a lump that doesn't bother her (except to worry her human slave :wink: ) and she doesn't need to have any surgery or anything like that for it.

I learned some of that first hand when my husband broke his wrist, and it seemed so drastic to me that they wanted to whisk him off to orthopedic surgery right away, but it turned out very well. He now has a metal plate (and Nine Screws that he kind of likes to brag about) in his wrist, but it has healed up well and he has recovered almost his full range of motion. In fact, his wrist was all healed up long before the mess with the health insurance got settled -- getting all the bills paid turned out to be the most painful and stressful part of the whole thing... :roll:

We're lucky that Puff tested negative for parasites this time, so at least we don't have that to deal with. I told the vet that he hasn't been around any other beardies since his last exam and has been eating the same store bought food, so I didn't see how he could have gotten a new batch of parasites, but they checked anyway. She reminded me that some parasites can stay in their body at a very low level and then flare up again when something else gets out of balance, just when you start thinking that you don't have to worry about them anymore. No fair. :banghead:
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u

Forum statistics

Latest member
Top Bottom