Nathaniel, Cierra, Castiel, Freya, Grrl; RIP GABRIEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
We never expected to get another dragon, but our neighbours next door wanted to give away Cleo, as he was called. We'd babysat him before, he's such a sweetheart. We nicknamed him Velcro because when he snuggles he never wants to go back to his viv, he hangs on as if he's made out of velcro.

So here he is. Today was his first day with us. He ate 13 supers and ate some squash, not bad for the first day he was here. He's only in a 30 gallon tank, which will be ok for now. He's 18" long but weighs only 200g. We figure he's probably 2 yrs old. Our neighbours rescued him last fall, they found him and a female (which they named Puff) on Craig's list. They were in a 30 gallon dirty tank, with sand and a huge log that took up 1/2 the space in the tank. Leo was at the bottom, he was sooooo skinny. He's gained weight, but never got the attention he deserved. I took some pics today, but will take more tomorrow. I think he remembers our place as didn't get stressed as I expected. No stress marks at all. When we let him run around the living room, he noticed our girls and immediate black beard, so his hormones are working!

He had a bath this morning, had a big poop, no smell, so not worried about parasites.

So here are a few pics, he's a yellow & dark gray, light gray colour.

Under the communal power sun in the living room:
sweetie2008401.jpg

Discovering there are girls in those tanks up above, he has a great black beard for such a skinny boy:
sweetie2008403.jpg

On the couch, he's got a pretty diamond pattern on his back:
sweetie2008412.jpg

sweetie2008413.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Deb and my six dragons :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :( :love5:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I'm officially out of my boot! I went to two shops so far, using 1 crutch and wearing my new wool socks and my new shoes. Went very well, I can still feel where my ankle is weak, but with walking and physio and gym, I'll be better in no time, well a few weeks I'd think. Now I'm off to return the knee walker, it sure came in handy!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Thanks Makayla, it feels good to have both feet in shoes for a change. :D Put the boot away in the closet :lol:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's great that you were able to walk that much without the boot! Just don't over do it; baby steps.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
That's why I'm lying down and staying home for the rest of the night. I don't want to hurt my ankle. Baby steps, for sure Gina :D And I have my boot if any extra support is needed. Luckily my sis bought me new shoes (exactly same as old pair, though, as they give the best support, plus my orthotics fit), so having the shoe, plus wool socks, was really good today. I'll be walking every day for at least a few minutes, plus get to the gym to use the stationary bike. But not too much either. See the surgeon on the 15th, will be asking him why I have hardly any feeling on the left side of my foot. The rest of my feet are fine, but not that side. I thought I'd have full feeling back by now, it's been over 2 months. Doesn't prevent me from walking, which is good, though.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
:blob5: :blob8: Great you were able to walk without the boot. I agree, don't overdo it. Good that you're resting it tonight. At least you'll have the boot on hand in case you need it.

Loved the pictures. Can't believe the size of Leo and Safara.

You look so proud in your new blouse with the necklace & earrings too. What a nice gift.

Guess Nathaniel made a new friend, your flashlight. :lol: He had quite a grip on it. He sure can put on his bright colors when he wants to.

Gabriel is just too funny. No guessing if he is mad or not. :mrgreen:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Diane, today was quite the adventure but it was great to walk on my ankle with just the crutch. So now I can get to my physio without having to bother with the boot. I'll just take walks every day. Even at night, when I have to get up, I can get around without the boot, so it's all good and I don't use a crutch in the house, even though I have one ready in the bedroom if needed.

I'm hoping to see my grandkids soon but this cold weather we're having (well cold for us, about 32F or under) has wreaked havoc with Tara and she's having trouble getting around. She's so stubborn, I keep telling Eric that I'd go over to help, take over the Xmas decorations and watch the kids or help with the housework, but I don't even get a phone call. It's nuts, I swear! So I'm hoping to see them for Xmas.

Having dragons is the only good reason to be home while recovering. I snuggled Cierra and Gabriel today, they're so cute together when sleeping. I did leave Cierra out with Gabriel when I was putting the younger boys in the baths yesterday and he did get up on the ramp with her. First they were like this:
11887-7025128011.jpg
and
11887-578997988.jpg

Then like this a minute later
11887-1729211668.jpg

This is what it's like in the am when I put Cierra out on the ramp:
Nathaniel:
11887-2951281392.jpg
11887-8332435097.jpg
Castiel
11887-6234607436.jpg
and Gabriel
11887-3712098249.jpg

This goes on all morning when they take their turns out, especially Nathaniel. This is him later in the afternoon, still black bearding even though the others are already sleepy. Nathaniel thinks it's spring all day long now.
11887-7305098558.jpg
11887-2999479142.jpg

By then Gabriel is like this
11887-454765489.jpg

And Cierra and Castiel are in their tanks, curled up, ready to sleep. This winter, even though it's sunny until about noon in the apartment, is still cold, so they're all asleep by 3p when their lights go on.

Castiel looks great in the sunshine, though, he gets so light
11887-7997795897.jpg

I'm hoping to find out from the surgeon on the 15th why the left side of my foot is still numb, I thought I'd have full feeling by now.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I had a chiro appt this am, so put Castiel out & because I only got up an hour before I had to leave, decided to leave him out. Left at 10:30 and got home just after 1, explained it was time to share outside time with his brothers and put him back in his tank & took Nathaniel out. Well, a few minutes later I hear scratching, check on Castiel and he's in his hide. Awhile later I check again & this is what he's done:

11887-899007386.jpg

He actually now gets annoyed when I put him back into his tank. He think he should be the ONLY one allowed out. Oh my, he's so spoiled :lol:

Also time to clean the glass in his tank, too :roll:

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So, instead of staying out and awake and sulk for being put back home, he decided to sulk inside his hide? What a silly boy.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
He is, so today I decide to change the newspaper in Nathaniel and Catiel's tank. So I get Nathaniel's done and get the newspaper ready for Castiel. As I'm lifting his basking log, over 20 roaches are revealed! :shock: :shock: So I'm not sure how long they've been there, if he's been herding them or if they've been escaping but they're back home. I'm trying to figure out how Castiel is gaining weight without having eaten so many of his bugs. Definitely a silly boy. Now he gets max 4 small roaches & that's it.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
I have a plant stand that's mirrored, so I put it in the living room today to see how the boys would react. Castiel bearded the other dragon, then he looked through the mirror up at me (I was on the lazy boy) and was fascinated that I was with the other dragon, stopped him in his tracks but he soon lost interest & went back to watching cartoons. Gabriel didn't play with the other dragon for long either. Nathaniel, on the other hand, kept trying to bite that darned dragon and couldn't figure out why it kept disappearing, but then he'd find it around the corner. That kept him busy for about 5 minutes before he lost interest too. Funny how they react differently to seeing themselves :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's too funny how the boys thought there was a new beardie in the house! I'm sure that Castiel felt very betrayed that you were with another.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
You should have seen the look in his eyes, very calculated.."what the heck, Mom, I thought I was your favourite!" I wish I'd had the camera with me, but was battling a stomach flu, I guess, so wasn't up to norm, but better today, guess it was a 24 hour thing.

I'll have time tomorrow to get their reactions on video, see if I can post it here.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Your crew looks great Oh my he has one heck of a black heard. I am so happy for you being out of the boot and back in socks and shoes. Take it easy though and let it heal up completely. Numbness is normal at a surgical site for a few months, at least it is with me. Depending on how extensive the surgery was could be a while to get the feeling totally back in it on the one side.
I put a mirror in with Emmett and OMG he immediately black bearded, started stomping and bobbing that head of his. Then he charged the mirror biting at it so no more mirrors for Emmett. Emma put her hands on the mirror and just looked at herself cocking her head to one side then the other. She licked her image lol.
Its snowing here again today and I had to go out and get a new mop of all things. Glad got back when I did, roads are getting slick so I am in for the day.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Original Poster
Hi Tonja, glad to hear the numbness is normal and it feels better every day. Yes, I'm not going to work until I feel ready and my ankle is totally healed.

I made it to chiro and my s-i-l skating (what was awesome) but not going out tonight, it's a rain storm again and it's too far away. I told Michelle I'd see her another time when it's not raining so hard. So nice and warm in my bed, have my foot up and just about to put Gabriel to bed.

Emmett's reaction to the mirror was the same as Gabriel's but I've left the mirrored planter in the living room, they all ignore it now, it seems it's better to make faces at each other.

Emma's reaction was like my friend's dragon Nimba. Seems girls have a better time with their own reflection than boys. Just goes to show the difference between the boys and girls :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom