My Vivarium my dad and I built in about 45 minutes. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyK

Hatchling Member
First off what I did was i found the nearest windows store. I went there and looked in their dumpster, as they do recycle the windows they replace. So i went there and was looking around in the dumpster and found two perfect windows. The windows are about 52 inches wide and around 20 inches tall. Then we had some ply wood hidden up in our rafters, so i took that down and we began designing the cage according to the windows. I put a window on the bottom so that if my beardie should poop the juices would get stuck in the wood, i didnt seal the wood so thats why i did this. I would say that the Viv is around a 50 gallon. Its not too high but it is nice and wide, with all the lights concentrated on one side. For taking as long as it did and doing it for the cost of Caulk, Ply wood, and Screws.. (which we had laying around) it worked out great! One thing i am going to do is take out the loose substrate (sand) and try to put something a little more fancier and healthier for the dragon to live in. Of course this one could have turned out better but hey, 30-45 minutes and we came up with this? cant complain.

Viv
101_0025.jpg

Viv's ownder (he is the runt so he is missing half his tail and all but one toe on his back foot)
101_0044.jpg

triumphtt

Juvie Member
yeah not bad at all. I'm gonna make everything myself also and when I saw the price of glass and plexiglass that was a pretty big pill to swallow. The plexiglass alone was more then a 4'x8' sheet of melamine!

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
triumphtt":1o4yhk11 said:
yeah not bad at all. I'm gonna make everything myself also and when I saw the price of glass and plexiglass that was a pretty big pill to swallow. The plexiglass alone was more then a 4'x8' sheet of melamine!

Where are you buying Plexi? I bought 2 seperate pieces both the same - I had to trim 2 inches off each side but the total cost from Home Depot was $24.

CodyK

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i built another one today, minus the labor, the glue, and the screws.. it costed me 10 dollars. which was for the decorated panel board i got at Home Depot. I can post pictures..

triumphtt

Juvie Member
I think lowes but i was looking for 2 sheets 22.5"x48". I only looked once so I might have mis read something

N3LRX

Looks like something I want to build. Right now I have a 40gal breeder on top of my entertainment center. It takes up all but about a foot of the space. I want to build a wooden enclosure that will take up the entire surface with a transparent front perhaps even a sliding glass or plexiglass window.

Next week I plan to start on building a platform that provides something to climb on as well as something to hide under. Not sure of the design yet. I've seen some really neat castle designs but I'm not sure if I want that or something looking a little rough looking like a natural rock formation. I also want to add a background to it as well. It will be made of foam and grout like the majority of the ones I've seen on here and elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom