My vet is ignorant need help "update help plz"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dragonlover3":3cm8hofp said:
Hi,
AtlasStrike makes an excellent point about the temp and gaping. 105-ish would be way too warm for an
adult that wasn't sick, a healthy adult should be at about 100*F. That said, when my 2 rescue beardies
had severe respiratory infections my vet said to increase their basking spot temp to 103ish {so that is
what I did} and their night time temps to 80 to 85-ish while they were sick but to be very aware that
the increased temps can and most probably will cause dehydration, so make sure to give extra fluids
frequently. As I'm sure you know you should have already removed any water dish, you don't want water
in the enclosure raising the humidity. If all fails to get her to drink, a quick 10 minute bath will help hydrate
her but it would be best if you can get her to drink as she is already exhausted from being sick. One of
the signs of respiratory infection is gaping other than in their basking area as they try to get air but of course
it is also a natural behavior in their basking area to regulate their temp. I hope your beardie is feeling better today!
Amanda

last night took her out to let her have some excersize she ran around and her color went lighter (still too dark from norm but not as bad) and while running about exploring her tail was all the way up and she held her body all the way off the floor! Im thinking she is making a turn around! the only time she is gaping since yesterday aftrernoon is now under her heat lamp when she basks, finnally got the vet to order some of the right meds for her mouth rot issure and cant wait till tue to start treatment, no instructions on how but im hoping to find that here. Cant remember the name of the med but you can only get it from a doc starts with an S i want to to say silversomething but i saw in another post it worked well for a beardie with the same issue (black base of teeth very yellow mouth pain with eating solids) Thanks again everyone!! wouldnt know what to do if this forum wasent here!

Lisa

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Nutzrus,
That is absolutely wonderful Rose is acting better, tail up, up on all 4 and lightening up a bit! :blob5:
Although she still has a ways to go, we all love to hear of improvements along the way! You are
doing an amazing job with her! :notworthy:
How is Thorn? I haven't forgotten about her! Still improving I hope! Sounds like your little ones
are on the mend!
....as for the advice given, there is a payment required :laughing6: ....Bwaaaa-ha-ha-ha...."eye brows
lifting, eyes bulging"....we want pictures of your little ones! All kinds of pictures! We NEED pictures, it
is our Beardie "fix"....Pictures I say!... Pictures!
Seriously though, we love pics and would adore seeing your little Rose and Thorn! We all just love our
Beardies sooo much :love5:
Amanda

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
finally found my cam LOL heres pics from today Thorn is the big yellow male Rose is the smaller grey female, Thorn has made an almost complete recovery and is eating on his own as well as acting like the dufus he normally is :) Rose is still not a happy dragon but seems to be improving slowly.

001.jpg

002.jpg

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Rose looks so regal - she pulls the same look my Kuleana used to... It makes me want to hug all the stuffy pompousness away! :p

Thorn's gorgeous, I'm loving his blocky features and bold markings.

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thank you i think they are too :) we named them Thorn cause hubbie liked it, and when I rot Rose she got her name because of the guns and roses song "Every Rose has its Thorn" LOL we thought it was funny.

She is so much more active this morning and last night she actually ate (hand fed) 2 small pieces of zucchini with out spiting it out at me made my day i think shes on the road to recovery! Now to get them to like the greens LOL

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im so happy BOTH of my babys ate a few greens from there bowls with out me putting it in there mouths!!! This is the first time since weve had them either has touched there greens without tricks (putting in mouth while they are gaping) im so happy!!! I guess they are doing better than i thought thank the gods for reptaid and this forum!!! you guys ROCK!!!!

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
we now have her moved out of the little tank and into her home, a 55gall tank temps are good new reptisun lights for both, her color is better shes sleeping a lot, really active when out of tank though. Have a not so urgent issue now posted on the health board

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=165463

but both seem to be doing very well, neither wants to eat like a real dragon would rather be hand fed i have no clue how to get the to eat on there own, i make the food
turnip greens .mutard greens, spagetti squash, sweet tatters, summer squash) put it in there tanks and they both walk over and open mouth for me to insert food LOL lazy babys. Ill post more pics when i get the stupid cam to work its being funky, Both are really doing so much better.I know they are old enough for brumation and im wondering if the sleeping is just that they both are active out in the living room (NOT together but at different times i do not want babys yet) but both pretty much just sleep in the tanks all day (unless they want food stuffed in LOL)

Nutzrus

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok since the last post both have had full 10 day treatments of reptaid Thorn my male seems to be doing ok but is still not eating and is losing weight 30 grams this week, Rose has lost 5 grams and has also had a ten day dosing of baytril and probiotics been done for 4 days. rose is still yellow in the mouth and although active when out of her tank sleeps while in it and is still looking wet at the corners of her mouth. should i start another round of either baytril or reptaid? i know not both at once.I dont know what im doing wrong ive PMed a member who knows far more than i do. but any and all feed back is appreciated!Please tell me if my temps are off and possibly causing them to be sick, i do not mist but i do bath them Thore 3x a week (he thinks hes a fish or is suicidal cant figure out what his issue is) Rose every day because of the baytril doses dont want her to get dehydrated. Both of the poops from them are good looking i think, if i need to ill post a pic next time they poo

Tanks 45gall and 55 gall
humidity about 20-30 sometimes as low as 10
temps in both are 107 basking 95 hot 75-80 cool
reptisun florescent lights brand new 6-8 inches from logs (they are on a slant)
tile flooring
fuzzy blankies
small sand digging boxes (less than 1 cup sand and they mostly poop in them LOL )

Foods offered daily (not that they eat it)
collard greens
mustard greens
summer squash (will only eat if cut in strips and wiggled at them and the wiggling pleases them)
sweet tatters (shredded)

Dubia roaches ( they run from them unless i put them in there mouth)
hornworms when i can afford them (not for another few weeks)
once in a while super worms ( HATE them there creepy and bite)

What they actually eat
baby food squash mixed with chicken with a bit of calcium with d3 and vitamins ( mixed every other feeding)
about 3 teaspoons by syringe daily for the male (24 inches tip of nose to tip of tail, 665 grams)
about 5 teaspoons by syringe daily for the female (17 inches long tip of tail to tip of nose, 524 grams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKFA
Top Bottom