pupae
100_2247.jpg

pupae on the bottom, beetles on the top
100_2248.jpg

100_2246.jpg

100_2245.jpg

100_2244.jpg

100_2243.jpg

I would try and count all the beetles but i will lose count.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Nice, that's pretty similar to the set up I have going on, although I use tubs instead of a set of drawers. Why do you put the pupae into their own drawer instead of just leaving them in the divided container until they turn into beetles? Just curious :)

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
i found one beetle munching on one and i have read that the superworms will also chew on the pupae so i have everything separated. If i am successful with these and have a high turn out my next goal will be 1000 beetle's!

covedweller

Juvie Member
so, do u just put one worm in each little compartment with no food or water source? i tried to get beetles once but the supers just died. was that because i had each one in with some oatmeal and a potato slice? thanks, diane

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
no food, no nothing, they need to be stressed. Also they need to be adults, about 2" long atleast.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
14 days for pupae and 10 for beetles (varies some)

You can feed the pupae which my dragon loves, but i wouldnt feed the beetles

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
clear":c42da said:
i found one beetle munching on one and i have read that the superworms will also chew on the pupae so i have everything separated. If i am successful with these and have a high turn out my next goal will be 1000 beetle's!

I understood that part, you should never put the aliens in with the worms or the beetles, but why not just leave them in the plastic container you used to separate the worms until they're beetles and then put them into a drawer? That's what I do and I was wondering if there was any particular advantage to putting the pupae in a drawer instead of leaving them in the compartmented container. Always interesting to see how others do things.

darla200010

Sub-Adult Member
Catalyst":e015f said:
but why not just leave them in the plastic container you used to separate the worms until they're beetles and then put them into a drawer?
I don't know why he does this, but my take on it is being able to get another beetle going quicker than you could if you waited for the first pupae to go beetle. I save all my pupa's together so I can get more pupa's quicker. I don't save them in a drawer since I'm full up with worms. But everyone has their own way of doing things. It is good to check with each other to see if someone has a better idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom